Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

R2-D2 customised build page 2 Options
Tomick
#1 Posted : 04 February 2017 20:32:51

Groups:

Continued....Drool
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 05 March 2017 17:38:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Picture 1. I have painted the ankle fitting, first I sanded down the slight rim on the side before adding primer.

Picture 2. I attached the two side pieces and weathered them with some starship filth.

Picture 3. I have also repainted the top section, then weathered and chipped the piece in areas.

Pictures 4,5,6 & 7. I then painted the central ankle section, as in my previous posts, allowed to dry for a few hours before attaching the two side sections. One this has had a few days for the paint to harden, I will then chip the blue panel slightly, before the final weathering process.
Markwarren attached the following image(s):
Photo 45.jpg
Photo 46.jpg
Photo 47.jpg
Photo 48.jpg
Photo 49.jpg
Photo 49a.jpg
Photo 50.jpg
Markwarren
#3 Posted : 26 March 2017 19:51:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Just a quick update. I have now weathered the bottom leg section as shown here. I have also noticed that the blue central column I painted has cracking in the paintwork, obviously, something wasn’t quite dry before painting certain parts or too much varnish in one goConfused . Either way I have today sanded down the part, primed again and painted it silver. I will now wait for the silver paint to dry completely before spraying with the translucent paints.
Photo 54.jpg
Photo 54a.jpg
Photo 54b.jpg
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 03 April 2017 17:51:10

Further to my previous post, regarding the paint cracking in the blue gloss panelling. I also noticed it slightly in the faceplate. This time I have rubbed down with a very fine wet/dry sand paper, using plenty of water rubbing away the gloss coat. Once done, I then cleaned the paintwork and buffed it up slightly before I was going to give it another coat. I then realised, quite by chance that it looked great how it was. As I am giving it the weathered beaten up look, the slightly dull metallic blue paintwork looked more aesthetically pleasing and matched the remaining weathered parts.
So, I then gently sanded the remaining blue parts to match, except for the inner leg, as that is still drying from the complete rub down.
I have also varnished the white panels with a satin varnish to seal the oils. I will post more pictures of the whole thing once all the paints and seals are dry, but for now, here are the pictures of the faceplate, before and after.
Picture 1. Before

Pictures 2 & 3. After

Pictures 4 & 5. I took these outside to try and get a more natural picture.
Photo 17.jpg
Photo 55.jpg
Photo 56.jpg
Photo 57.jpg
Photo 58.jpg
Markwarren
#5 Posted : 09 April 2017 21:20:28

The blue panel has now been re painted and varnished. Once I let it stand for a few days, I lightly sanded it with wet/dry sand paper to dull down the overall look.

Photo 59.jpg
Photo 60.jpg
Markwarren
#6 Posted : 23 April 2017 18:35:45

Just a quick update, the framework completed so far.
Photo 61.jpg
Photo 62.jpg
Markwarren
#7 Posted : 02 June 2017 21:17:48

Here is an update on R2’s head frame. The picture here shows some more parts added, taking shape quite nicely. It also carries some weight to it now.

Next, I will be painting and weathering the back half of the leg.

Photo 63.jpg