Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

1/18 Star Wars X wing hasbro conversion Options
darbyvet
#1 Posted : 17 April 2017 19:25:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Here is my build diary for my 1/18 X wing conversion.

The base model is a Hasbro toy X wing.It has the wings permanently closed and no cockpit detail.

I will need to scratchbuild the wings as I plan to have them in the attack position.

I bought some 3d printed parts for the engines, laser cannons and cockpit with pilot.The parts are stunning.They were printed with a high end Resin (DLP/SLA) printer.

I plan on lighting the cockpit and engines and a new paint job.I am probably going to do this as Red5 although it wont be screen accurate.

Anyway some starting pictures.You can see how big this thing is.It will make a very impressive display model.

it will be a while before I start this as I am waiting for a 3d printer to arrive and I will be designing and 3d printing the new wings.

darbyvet attached the following image(s):
xwing1.jpg
xwi9ng2.jpg
xwing3.jpg
xwing4.jpg
xwing5.jpg
xwing6.jpg
xwing7.jpg
xwing8.jpg
xwing9.jpg
xwing10.jpg
xwing11.jpg
xwing12.jpg
davetwin
#2 Posted : 17 April 2017 19:58:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Cool build Carl, will be following Cool

I'm quite impressed by the look of the 3D printed parts, they look much better than the stuff that comes from shaleways Drool
stevegbr
#3 Posted : 17 April 2017 20:01:54

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

looks interesting, looking forward to your progress carl. BigGrin BigGrin
birdaj2
#4 Posted : 17 April 2017 20:05:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Carl

Looking good.

My most favourite of all the star wars flying vehicles so looking very much forward to seeing what you pull off with this one.

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Gandale
#5 Posted : 17 April 2017 21:57:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Will be interesting to see it come together Carl... Looks like a nifty kit....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#6 Posted : 17 April 2017 23:33:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice start Carl, looking forward to this one.BigGrin

Regards
Mark
darbyvet
#7 Posted : 27 April 2017 17:09:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

So here we go!!!!

The dimensions of the wings on the Hasbro are not right.The wings are too short so I decided to make new ones .I will need 4 anyway so I will be 3d printing the new wings.

The first step is to design the new wings.I have Captain Cardboards resin 1/24 scale (studio scale) X wing kit. I took measurements of the 1/24 kits fuselage and wings and compared them to the Hasbro and it looks like the Hasbro is not quite 1/18 scale after all. The Hasbro falcon is 1.3 times bigger than the 1/24 scale kit (which I believe is quite accurate).

So I took measurements of the 1/24 wings and scaled them up to make the wings for the Hasbro.Now I have full size drawings of the wings I can start 3d designing and printing them.

Here are some pics of my progress so far.

darbyvet attached the following image(s):
xwing14.jpg
xwing13.jpg
xwing15.jpg
xwing16.jpg
xwing17.jpg
birdaj2
#8 Posted : 27 April 2017 17:35:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Well impressed with your skills.

All that 3d printing stuff is way out of my understanding dven though I find the whole thing fascinating.

I did build the vector 3d printer but apart from printing a few of the included models could not get it to work properly so that was consigned to the local tip.

Look forward to seeing the wings develope as making them is a real art form in my book.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Markwarren
#9 Posted : 28 April 2017 20:57:23

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Looking forward to seeing the wings Carl. I can do most things, but 3D printing is not one of them, but it does fascinate me.
I look forward to the next update.

Regards
Mark
ian smith
#10 Posted : 20 June 2017 12:03:28

Hi Carl.
Look forward to seeing your progress. Ian Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
darbyvet
#11 Posted : 20 June 2017 17:36:11

Thanks Ian,
I am still designing the wings to 3d print and then I will make a start on this

Carl