Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Millennium Falcon Customised Build Page 7 Options
Markwarren
#1 Posted : 01 May 2017 18:35:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Picture 1. A lot of prepping going on, ready to start the wiring. I have finished the mandibles and fitted the wiring.

Pictures 2,3,4,5 & 6. Next I wanted to finish off the “mind your head” red lights with the lighting caps. I still need to add these to the side docking ports. These were placed over the 3mm LED’s I had already fixed in. The photos show the before and after pictures.

Picture 7. I then started fixing the lighting cables into the supplied board.

Picture 8. The next photo shows the two-channel wireless relay I will be using for the additional lighting I have done on the Falcon. Each channel will be wired to a distribution board. I will also be wiring the sub light engine lights to this board as well.

A little more to do on the wiring loom, and then next time I will be connecting all the lights to all the boards.
Markwarren attached the following image(s):
Photo 409.jpg
Photo 410.jpg
Photo 410a.jpg
Photo 410b.jpg
Photo 411.jpg
Photo 412.jpg
Photo 416.jpg
Photo 417.jpg
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 07 May 2017 20:29:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Pictures 1 & 2. A lot done this week, still painting hull panels. It looks like you're nearly finished the project, but you look at what still needs doing, and its seems miles away. I have also been finalising some of the inner parts, ready for the wiring. I have also tested the relay and distribution boards.

Pictures 3 & 4. Here, I have tested the boards as shown.

Pictures 5 & 6. These pictures show the wireless fob working. I just tested each channel separately.

Picture 7. These pictures show the boards on place in the hull section, ready for wiring.

Pictures 8,9 & 10. I have also test fitted the interior sections, and made sure it all fitted.

Still a lot more wiring to do and a lot of tidying up with cable ties. Just finishing off the bottom gunners room and middle section before piecing the two halves together.

Next I will show the final wiring diagram and lighting.
Photo 420.jpg
Photo 420a.jpg
Photo 421.jpg
Photo 422.jpg
Photo 423.jpg
Photo 424.jpg
Photo 424a.jpg
Photo 424b.jpg
Photo 424c.jpg
Photo 426.jpg
Markwarren
#3 Posted : 14 May 2017 19:55:37

A lot of prepping, again this week, with led up to a weekend of wiring the lighting to the circuit boards. What doesn’t seem much has been done, it has taken all weekend to wire the extra lighting and fit to the base.
Pictures 1 & 2. First I lined the inside of the cockpit inners with aluminium foil to stop ant light bleed.

Pictures 3,4 & 5. I then permanently fitted the circuit boards, slightly different places as in my last post. I then wired each channel to the two distribution boards.

Picture 6. I then fitted the mandibles and bolted them to the hull section. Then I inserted the inner hold area and corridor sections. A lot of cable tidying was needed. Then I powered up the circuit boards and used the wireless keypads. All worked swimmingly.

Pictures 7,8,9,10,11,12,13 & 14. A lot of hours later, I was ready to test the lighting.

I just have the cargo room to wire in and then fit the top section on. I have also added two extra cables to either side for the red “mind your head lights” to fit on the two docking bays.
Photo 431.jpg
Photo 432.jpg
Photo 433.jpg
Photo 434.jpg
Photo 435.jpg
Photo 436.jpg
Photo 437.jpg
Photo 438.jpg
Photo 438a.jpg
Photo 438b.jpg
Photo 439.jpg
Photo 440.jpg
Photo 440a.jpg
Photo 441.jpg
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 15 May 2017 23:23:56

Still trying to finalise the wiring for the extra lighting. I am making a stand for the cargo area, so it sits into the hull section neatly, now I know what the measurements are. Once this is done I will wire this into the distribution board. I also notice I haven’t put the light into the computer room off the hold area, so again I will do this before fitting the top on permanently. I must say, that many years ago I had a classic car, that needed some wiring done on it, and I sure that wasn’t a difficult as this, certainly wasn’t as stressful.
I have also put the top section on, to see if there was any light bleed. The only blocking I have to do is the green lighting in the corridor section that runs along to the cockpit area.

Here are some more pictures of the lighting with the top hull in place. As you can see, I have also wired the inner turret area, and I was quite pleased with how the engine core, (flux Capacitor) lit up.
Photo 445.jpg
Photo 446.jpg
Photo 447.jpg
Photo 448.jpg
Photo 449.jpg
Photo 450.jpg
Markwarren
#5 Posted : 23 May 2017 10:03:51

Pictures 1,2 & 3. I have now fitted the two halves together, after thoroughly testing all the lighting. I have also put some light blocking measures in as well as fitting some styrene plastic in the open frame areas as you can see in the pictures below. I will be adding more detail to these such as cables and piping.

Pictures 4 & 5. Here I used an endoscope camera to see inside, just for fun.

Pictures 6 & 7. The only lighting not working at present are the white landing lights, as these will need the legs fitted before they come on.
I have also made provisions for the additional red lights at the base of the docking hatches, which are being painted at present along with the side panels.

Pictures 8 & 9. The final pictures show the 9v cable inserted into the base of the falcon. I will be producing a small diorama to disguise this as a fuelling pipe with fuelling station and pod along with Han Solo in the background.
The last picture is a very rough sketch of me planning how it will look, however, the final piece might change slightly.

Getting close to finishing, still a lot of paintwork to do first.
Photo 453.jpg
Photo 453a.jpg
Photo 453b.jpg
Photo 453c.jpg
Photo 453d.jpg
Photo 457.jpg
Photo 457a.jpg
Photo 458.jpg
Photo 459.jpg
Markwarren
#6 Posted : 29 May 2017 20:47:15

Pictures 1 & 2. Made a start on the fuelling station/pod, over the weekend. I looked at lots of greebles, I have, old parts of pens and an old Tassimo pod. The cables will go inside the pod, whilst the mains cable will go through the top into the hull of the Falcon. Still quite a lot to do yet, but here are some pictures to give some idea. The final fuelling pod will be a yellow colour.

Picture 3. Here, I fitted some spare odd parts I have lying around, then painted it black.

Picture 4. I then painted it metallic steel colour.

Pictures 5 & 6. As you can see here, the top unscrews, this is so I can cut this part to the correct size to fit under the hull once the cable has been fitted.
Photo 460.jpg
Photo 461.jpg
Photo 463.jpg
Photo 465.jpg
Photo 466.jpg
Photo 467.jpg
Markwarren
#7 Posted : 12 June 2017 22:57:33

Pictures 1 & 2. A small update to the docking bay blast mark on the hull section. The first pictures show where I cut a hole in both the inner and outer panels with a heated Dremel, and painted the outside of the inner piece with black paint.

Picture 3. I then used a rubber grommet to stop any light bleed. This was glued on the inside over the hole.

Pictures 4 & 5. I then finished weathering the piece, using Mig oils and used a little silver paint and dry brushed some parts of the damaged area to give that metallic look. Unfortunately, the images don't do it a lot of justice, but I hope you get the idea.
Photo 468.jpg
Photo 469.jpg
Photo 470.jpg
Photo 475.jpg
Photo 477.jpg
Markwarren
#8 Posted : 18 June 2017 20:17:58

Picture 1. Not too much painting done this weekend, not complaining, but the oil paints just dry out too quick to apply. I have been painting the side panels and here you can see I have finished the lighting to this side. The first picture shows the connector I placed in the original wiring loom.

Pictures 2 & 3. I then made the wiring loom for the docking hatch, and attached it on the inside.

Picture 4. Here, you can see the 3mm LED on the outside.

Picture 5. I then attached some strong double-sided tape to the frame of the model so they will stick the side panels when I attach them. I have done this, so if in the future should I need to access to the inside for maintenance reasons, I can easily take the panels off.

Picture 6. I then connected the cables together.

Picture 7. Before placing the docking hatch and side pieces on, I undid the bottom screws of the frame. This made it much easier to fix these parts in place. Once done, I then replaced the screws.

Pictures 8,9 & 10. The final pictures show the panel in place and the light cover glued over the LED lights.
Photo 479.jpg
Photo 480.jpg
Photo 481.jpg
Photo 482.jpg
Photo 483.jpg
Photo 484.jpg
Photo 485.jpg
Photo 486.jpg
Photo 485a.jpg
Photo 488.jpg
Markwarren
#9 Posted : 26 June 2017 21:58:33

Quick update on the Falcon. I’m still painting the side panels, taking a little longer than I thought, but I am not rushing it at this stage, as I want all the detail to come out.
Photo 489.jpg
Photo 490.jpg
Photo 490a.jpg
Photo 490b.jpg
Photo 491.jpg