Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

R2-D2 customised build page 3 Options
Tomick
#1 Posted : 02 June 2017 10:01:06

Groups:

Continued.....Drool
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 02 June 2017 21:35:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Picture 1. The back half of R2’s leg is next to get the weathering treatment, the same as the front area. Here I have primed the part and left it for 24 hours to dry.

Pictures 2 & 3. Next, I took the silver detail pieces that fit into the back half of the leg, and applied some starship filth oil paint and rubbed it into the grooves to give it a more worn metallic look. I also gave the silver plate to the front of the leg the same treatment. These will now be left to dry for several days.

Pictures 4 & 5. The primer paint has now had time to completely dry, and the silver layer is now applied. This will be left to dry before attaching to the other half of the leg so I can match the chipped areas I placed on the front part.

More to come shortly.
Markwarren attached the following image(s):
Photo 64.jpg
Photo 65.jpg
Photo 66.jpg
Photo 66a.jpg
Photo 67.jpg
Markwarren
#3 Posted : 04 June 2017 22:04:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Picture 1. Now the silver paint had dried, I have attached it to the other half of the leg. I then lightly brush some Maskol on the areas to match the already weathered piece. I have also masked the small silver strip.

Picture 2. I then painted the piece with white paint.

Pictures 3,4 & 5. I then rub off the Maskol once the paint has dried and peeled off the masked area.

Pictures 6,7,8 & 9. Here are some pictures of the two halves put together.
Photo 69.jpg
Photo 70.jpg
Photo 70a.jpg
Photo 70b.jpg
Photo 71.jpg
Photo 75.jpg
Photo 77.jpg
Photo 78.jpg
Photo 80.jpg
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 04 June 2017 22:15:59

I have made up the two projector housings. I put some pewter wax on the black end of one of the caps, I then used my trusted starship filth oil paint to give the silver a worn metallic look.
The final picture is the dome frame with the main eye in place.

Next, I will finish the weathering of the leg I've just painted.

Photo 81.jpg
Photo 81a.jpg
Markwarren
#5 Posted : 08 June 2017 22:14:57

Just a small update. I have finished the dome frame and added some of the parts to show how it will look, minus the aluminium dome. The second picture shows the matrix LED working.

More of the leg parts to come shortly and some more weathering of the leg shown.
Photo 82.jpg
Photo 83.jpg
Markwarren
#6 Posted : 11 June 2017 17:24:11

Pictures 1 & 2. A little more weathering on the leg in this update. First, I primed the rear bottom leg piece, after I had brushed some Maskol into the blue recessed part on this section. I allowed to dry and painted it with satin white.

Pictures 3 & 4. Once this had dried, I took out the Maskol, to exposed the blue recessed area of the part.

Pictures 5 & 6. I weathered the rear back leg part the same as the front piece to match. I used starship filth and a sand oil paint to give the yellow sandy colour. I allowed this to dry for over 24 hours, before spraying the pieces with a semi-gloss varnish. I decided the semi-gloss looked better than the matt varnish and gave it a nice sheen.

Pictures 7,8,9 & 10. I then screwed the inner metal frame piece and attached both halves together. I also attached the bottom wheel frame. In these pictures, I tried to show how the varnish looks with a slight sheen.

Next, I will be weathering the bottom leg piece I’ve just painted and assembling the wheel part.
Photo 84.jpg
Photo 85.jpg
Photo 86.jpg
Photo 87.jpg
Photo 88.jpg
Photo 90.jpg
Photo 90a.jpg
Photo 90b.jpg
Photo 90c.jpg
Photo 91.jpg
Markwarren
#7 Posted : 21 June 2017 23:14:19

Pictures 1 & 2. I have started painted the bottom, underside of the leg piece, using the starship filth and sand oils to match the rest of the weathered leg part. Once finished I will allow this to dry for several days before applying the varnish.

Picture 3. I have also painted the silver side pieces and applied some weathering to give it that metallic weathered look. The small blue part that attaches the silver piece will be painted in the next update.

Pictures 4 & 5. Next, I attached the metal wheel frame and screwed the wheel parts together.
Photo 95.jpg
Photo 96.jpg
Photo 97.jpg
Photo 98.jpg
Photo 99.jpg
Markwarren
#8 Posted : 26 June 2017 22:14:57

Pictures 1,2,3 & 4. I have painted the blue parts of the Ankle pieces. First, I primed each piece, then painted silver and finally with the translucent purple and blue.

Picture 5. The final picture is the blue piece, having been sprayed with gloss varnish. This will be allowed to dry fully for several days before weathering and sanded down with wet and dry.
The other parts shown in my last post were also varnished, now the oils have dried.
Photo 100.jpg
Photo 101.jpg
Photo 102.jpg
Photo 103.jpg
Photo 104.jpg