Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages <12
Ron's HMS Victory Build Options
Ronjamino
#21 Posted : 11 July 2017 14:46:23

Groups: Registered

Foz wrote:
Hi Ron

Looking real good so far mate and look forward to seeing more.

As for being the planks and the gaps you say you have.

I found soaking them in boiling water for 10 to 15 mins first helped bend them, then pin them lightly to the hull but don't glue them until they have dried.

That way the shrinking will not show if you have put them on before they have dried.

Hope this helps

regards

Foz

Thanks Foz, I'll bear this in mind as I progress through the build. Out of interest, was this the method you used for the main hull too? or just the little boats?
HMS Victory : Diary | Gallery
Ronjamino
#22 Posted : 12 July 2017 12:20:03

Guys,

It's with a heavy heart that I must graciously bow out of this build. I've read ahead, thought about it very carefully and fear my carpentry skills are not yet at a standard where I'd be able to create a worthy replica. Perhaps a few builds down the line when I'm a bit more prepared.

I think it's the right thing to do, so I've canceled my subscription and ordered a much simpler kit (the Virgina Schooner) which I'll be documenting the build of in the 'Other Ship' user diaries.

All the best, and thanks for the welcome to the forum!

Ron
DaDokta
#23 Posted : 12 July 2017 13:40:35

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I find it sad, Ron, that you have to stop this build as i believe you would have mastered it.

It´s learning by doing and you get better and better with time.

I´m not sure the Schooner is easier to build as i think it`s bare wood without painting. So you will have to work more accurate then with the Victory, where the paint covers small mistakes.
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
Ronjamino
#24 Posted : 12 July 2017 17:28:08

I know, trust me no one's sadder than I about the premature end to the build.

I think my logic is I'd rather screw up on a £70 model than a £700 one. perhaps once I've got the experience/confidence under my belt I'll be more willing to commit.
Martyn Ingram
#25 Posted : 12 July 2017 19:09:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Blink Sorry to hear this Ron I can see where you are coming from as a large scale ship can be quite daunting but having built the Virgina the instructions can be a bit vague where as the Victory has brilliant ones plus if you are not sure there are lots of people who have built this ship only to willing to help. Good luck with whatever you decide to build and looking forward to seeing your progress

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
z8000783
#26 Posted : 13 July 2017 06:07:34

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Sorry to hear that Ron but it sounds like you made a considered decision. Good luck with the next.
Markwarren
#27 Posted : 13 July 2017 07:42:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

I'm sure it won't be long before you have the confidence to continue, good luck with the Schooner.

Mark
Gandale
#28 Posted : 13 July 2017 08:48:33

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Really sad to hear you've given up on the Victory Ron but feel sure with a little more ship building experience you will come back to her one day. The Victory was put together with the complete beginner in mind, with instructions detailing every step of the build. I don't believe you'll find anything better for beginners to get started with this hobby. Cool Cool

I look forward to following your progress with the Schooner and remember, assistance and advice is here on the forum should you need it....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Garth
#29 Posted : 14 July 2017 06:51:13

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Ron,
Really sorry to hear about your decision to put your Victory on hold.
To echo Alan's comment, I think the Victory is well suited to a beginner, considering all the media available for the build. I.e. hard copy instructions, .pdf downloadable instructions and a full video of each stage. Not to mention all the build diaries on the various forums.
The only really difficult thing for me was the shear volumes of things to do, not necessary the complexity.
...and remember, if you opt for the painted version, most mishaps can be hidden with filler and paint.
Having said that, good luck with your new build.
kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.