Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages <12345>
Michaels Victory Cross-section Options
michael.rolph
#41 Posted : 25 July 2017 23:18:36

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Orlop details

The sea chest were built around a core of balsa wood to make them sturdier. The hammocks were rather fiddly(i'm not looking forward to rigging my SOTS). The pump pipes were assembled and painted. I've also started the assembly of the cannons.
michael.rolph attached the following image(s):
chests1.JPG
hammocks.JPG
pumps.JPG
cannon and braces.JPG
misc.JPG
chest2.JPG
michael.rolph
#42 Posted : 25 July 2017 23:20:34

Orlop fitting

The sea chest and hammocks have been fitted. The pipes have been placed and the remaining deck supports added.
orlop_finished.JPG
DaDokta
#43 Posted : 26 July 2017 05:57:29

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Coming along nicely!
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
magpie1832
#44 Posted : 26 July 2017 13:49:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking great Micheal great work pal.

Chris Cool
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Gandale
#45 Posted : 26 July 2017 17:44:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Now that is looking good Michael, very nicely done....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#46 Posted : 26 July 2017 18:22:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Coming along well.

The hammocks look a bit fiddly, but well worth the effort.

Cool Cool Cool

Keep up the good work. BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

arpurchase
#47 Posted : 26 July 2017 18:38:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looking good and nice workCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

arpurchase
#48 Posted : 26 July 2017 18:38:25

BigGrin Looking good and nice workCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Spal
#49 Posted : 26 July 2017 20:29:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Some lovely details on this BigGrin nice work Michael.

Al
pemberg
#50 Posted : 26 July 2017 20:45:09

Great job Michael, coming along nicely.

Graeme
Garth
#51 Posted : 06 August 2017 15:59:26

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Michael,
Progressing nicely. Looking forward to your next update.
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
michael.rolph
#52 Posted : 15 August 2017 18:56:18

Time for another update.
Thanks everyone for the kind comments and encouragement

Lower gun deck

I added the deck planks to the lower gun deck. Once I got to the raised section in the centre I discovered that the elm tree pumps were too low and I had to boost them up by adding scrap pieces into the holes in the hold. This caused two of the pumps to break at the bottom connection so I had to re-glue them in place.

The only issue I have with the deck itself is that the chaulking lines don't really stand out once the deck stain has been added.

Finally the hull sides supports were added and painted.
lowergundeckdeck1.JPG
lowergundeckdeck2.JPG
lowergundeckdeck3.JPG
insidehull.JPG
michael.rolph
#53 Posted : 15 August 2017 18:57:48

Cannons and rigging

Construction of the cannons went well except for adding the nails into the barrel supports. I ended up cutting the heads off the nails and glueing them into place.

Making the the blocks took a while most of the time taken was trying to tread the string through the blocks. I ended up widening the holds slightly and stiffening the ends of the string with PVA glue.

I had trouble getting a good paint coverage on the brass parts so I decided to leave them brass. I will have to buy some blackener for the future.
cannon1.JPG
rigging1.JPG
rigging2.JPG
rigging3.JPG
michael.rolph
#54 Posted : 15 August 2017 18:58:56

Pumps

The pumps were placed on the platform directly over the elm tree pumps. One set appeared too close to the mast hole so I had to relocate them slightly, but there still doesn't seem to be alot of room for the mast collars to be fitted.
pumps1.JPG
pumps2.JPG
pumps3.JPG
michael.rolph
#55 Posted : 15 August 2017 19:00:01

Tables
tables.JPG
michael.rolph
#56 Posted : 15 August 2017 19:01:32

Lower gun deck supports

The deck beams were added and the four support posts fitted.
I accidentally glued the roller fairleads to the wrong posts. When I removed them one of the rear blocks snapped or pulled out of the ring. I had to cut the block out, tie on a new section of string and then re-tie the block and ring.
oops.JPG
michael.rolph
#57 Posted : 15 August 2017 19:04:30

Does anyone know why some file attachments only appear as download links?
GilShapley
#58 Posted : 15 August 2017 19:21:52

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Here is a hint to help with the threading of blocks. I used the super glue trick at first but "borrowed" one of my wife's needle threaders and used it to pull the thread through. Works a treat, just make sure the holes in the blocks are clear.
I was able to get 10 threaders from EBay for just a few quid

Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
birdaj2
#59 Posted : 15 August 2017 20:20:55

michael.rolph wrote:
Does anyone know why some file attachments only appear as download links?

Michael

Its your file size. Anything over 200k in file size creates a download rather than viewable image.

More details can be seen here

http://forum.model-space...t.aspx?g=posts&t=244
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
michael.rolph
#60 Posted : 16 August 2017 08:37:57

Thanks Tony, I have fixed the images. The JPEG compression was set to 100% so it wasn't compressing the file sizes