Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

R2-D2 customised build page 4 Options
Markwarren
#1 Posted : 02 July 2017 12:59:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Here, I have fixed the wheel on R2 leg with the back assembly plate.
Markwarren attached the following image(s):
Photo 111.jpg
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 02 July 2017 13:04:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Next, I have scraped the blue paint in the leg side pieces to weather them. Then I used wet and dry sand paper to dull the overall gloss down and then fitted them to the silver parts.
Photo 105.jpg
Photo 106.jpg
Photo 107.jpg
Photo 108.jpg
Markwarren
#3 Posted : 02 July 2017 13:08:55

Here, you can see the final weathered and varnished back leg plate ready for assembly.
Photo 109.jpg
Photo 110.jpg
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 02 July 2017 13:10:48

And here it is all temporary assembled to give you an idea of how it all looks and beginning to take shape.
Photo 112.jpg
Photo 113.jpg
Photo 114.jpg
Photo 115.jpg
Markwarren
#5 Posted : 30 July 2017 10:15:55

Finished and attached the lower plate that hold the head frame together. I has certainly got some weight with it now.
Photo 116.jpg
Photo 117.jpg
Markwarren
#6 Posted : 30 July 2017 10:24:22

Here, you can see that I have dissembled the leg parts so I can fit the motor and attach the cables through the center of the leg. The last pictures shows the leg assembly screwed together with all parts in place. Note. When connecting the cable to the motor, leave enough slack at that end, as when you assemble the lower leg parts it will pull down the cable.
Photo 118.jpg
Photo 119.jpg
Photo 120.jpg
Markwarren
#7 Posted : 30 July 2017 10:29:42

Next, was the bottom leg assembly. As you can see here, I have dry fitted this part to give some idea how it will look.
Photo 121.jpg
Photo 122.jpg
Photo 123.jpg
Markwarren
#8 Posted : 30 July 2017 10:34:46

Now to start the painting and weathering process. This area will be heavily weathered around the lower section. First, as shown in these pictures I have lightly sanded the parts and then primed. This will be left for a time to fully harden before applying the silver paint.
Photo 124.jpg
Photo 125.jpg
Markwarren
#9 Posted : 30 July 2017 20:42:52

Now the primer has had enough time to dry fully, I have now painted it silver. Here, you can see it after a couple of hours drying, enough to handle, but I will now leave this for at least 48 hours before masking areas off and using Maskol.
Photo 126.jpg
Photo 127.jpg
Photo 128.jpg
Markwarren
#10 Posted : 02 August 2017 22:28:43

Now that the silver paint has fully dried, the next stage is to mask off the areas I want to stay silver and lightly bush on some Humbrol Maskol for the chipped effects. Once this has been done I will then paint it with the satin white as with previous parts.
Photo 129.jpg
Photo 130.jpg
Markwarren
#11 Posted : 02 August 2017 22:33:40

Here, you can see the parts painted white and the maskol rubbed off to give the worn chipped effect in certain areas.
Next, I will be weathering this part with oils, once I have the complete foot assembly.
Photo 131.jpg
Photo 132.jpg
Photo 133.jpg