Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Projector not showing Leia (issue 27/29) Options
coldsweat
#1 Posted : 19 July 2017 10:41:57

Groups: Registered

I've just assembled issue 29 & my projector won't show the Leia video.

If I press the 'S2' button it shows Luke & if I press 'S1' & 'S2' together it also shows Luke.

Do any of the admins have any ideas??
pemberg
#2 Posted : 19 July 2017 11:32:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

This is currently being looked in to. Once further information is available it will be posted on the forum.

Graeme
coldsweat
#3 Posted : 19 July 2017 11:43:59

Thanks for that - at least I know it's not just me!

I suppose they've got another 70odd issues to get it sorted.
Tomick
#4 Posted : 20 July 2017 11:50:57

Groups:

Update

Neither the projector, nor the test board are faulty.

The projector will work properly and will project both video clips at the end when your R2-D2 is completed.

Our engineering department discovered that using the test board to control the projector to project both clips, can produce and inconsistent result when the battery level of the battery box starts to drop.
As a result, they have modified the programming on the IC of the projector just to project the “Luke” clip instead of both clips when tested at issue #29.

If you wish to 'test' the Leia projection, there is another way to do this by providing a direct connection between two points on the test board (shorting them) as shown in the photos copied below. Please accept our apologies for the confusion.

Tomick attached the following image(s):
L1_opt.png
L4_opt.png
semaj
#5 Posted : 20 July 2017 19:56:36

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

thats a relief!! just wish if changes are going to be made they tell us so when we expect something to happen and it does'nt there isnt mass panic. they also should make sure the mag is correct too with the instructions. its hard enough trying to figure out what screws to use. either way, great work from all involved.
Building:
Ghostbusters Ecto-1, Ford GT40, Gone in 60 seconds Eleanor mustang, Shelby Cobra
Complete:
R2D2, Red Bull RB7 RC, Battleship Bismarck, Shelby GT500 'super snake'
Impman66
#6 Posted : 20 July 2017 20:50:47

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I had no Leia on my test, but then when I shorted the two pins (not an easy task), I DID get the Leia graphic. So it does work BigGrin
If you build it he will come

Built - Eaglemoss 3D Printer. Building - R2D2

National league Champions 2017
FA Cup Quarter Finalists 2017
philljwarren
#7 Posted : 25 July 2017 11:31:02

Either way guys, the advice is that this only applies to the test board & everything will work on the final build, so no worries.
Tomick
#8 Posted : 22 August 2017 12:17:12

Groups:

semaj wrote:
its hard enough trying to figure out what screws to use.
Additional screw info is provided in the official build.
paulfo
#9 Posted : 22 August 2017 21:50:03

We don't see any image projected with either switch or 'short' options. Although the LED is very bright. We will try new batteries tomorrow Confused
TechnicMan
#10 Posted : 23 August 2017 16:23:53

I don't see any image either, just a pixellated circle of light. I've tried new batteries in the battery box but that hasn't made any difference. Maybe a faulty projector board?
Tomick
#11 Posted : 23 August 2017 17:26:25

Groups:

TechnicMan wrote:
I don't see any image either, just a pixellated circle of light. I've tried new batteries in the battery box but that hasn't made any difference. Maybe a faulty projector board?
I've bounced this back to the R2 tech team for investigation, hang fire for now, thanks.
Tomick
#12 Posted : 24 August 2017 09:44:34

Groups:

TechnicMan wrote:
Can you post a photo into the forum of the pixelated circle you are getting, thanks.
TechnicMan
#13 Posted : 24 August 2017 11:38:29

Have attached pic to this post.

Customer services are being quite evasive. I've explained that I'm seeing no images at all and have checked all the connections (I have a degree in Electrical & Electronic engineering!) and tried new batteries, and they came back with the same line about how you will only see the Luke clip and everything will be fine in the final model. So I've sent them another email.
TechnicMan attached the following image(s):
R2D2_Projector.jpg
AJL178
#14 Posted : 24 August 2017 14:01:43

TechnicMan wrote:

Customer services are being quite evasive. I've explained that I'm seeing no images at all and have checked all the connections (I have a degree in Electrical & Electronic engineering!) and tried new batteries, and they came back with the same line about how you will only see the Luke clip and everything will be fine in the final model. So I've sent them another email.

This is the exact same problem I am having, see thread - http://forum.model-space...spx?g=posts&t=24195

I ended up ringing CS after trying new batteries and they are sending out a replacement of issue 27. I'm not 100% convinced there is a problem though but we'll see when replacement comes!
Tomick
#15 Posted : 24 August 2017 14:21:19

Groups:

TechnicMan wrote:

Please bear with me, now we have what you are seeing our tech team can investigate., for now sit tight until I come back to you., c/s won't be able to assist on this.
TechnicMan
#16 Posted : 24 August 2017 14:48:30

Many thanks, Tomick, I'll wait to hear from you.

AJL178 - I'm glad you had a better experience with CS than I did! I saw your thread after I'd posted on this one though and I didn't want to over-post.
Tomick
#17 Posted : 25 August 2017 11:31:17

Groups:

TechnicMan wrote:
Many thanks, Tomick, I'll wait to hear from you.
Anyone that is experiencing a pixelated circle and no images, this problem is most likely caused by a loose connection of the LCD cable to the projector PCB and you need to reconnect the cable as follows:

Unplug the connector for the LED cable as indicated in the photo below and reconnect the cable and black part of the connector should be closed down to clamp the cable in position.
If the problem is caused by a loose connection or the connector is not properly seated, this should fix the problem. If this does not fix the problem, most likely that the LCD is damaged and needs to be replaced, therefore contact c/s to request replacement of the issue it is supplied in.

Sometimes the ribbon maybe misaligned and needs pushing in further, lifting the block clamp to insert the ribbon more and clamping it down will align the contact and should then work ok. These are relatively fragile components and can be damaged if not been handled carefully.
Tomick attached the following image(s):
R2 1.jpg
TechnicMan
#18 Posted : 26 August 2017 10:15:31

Hi Tomick

I have tried this a couple of times and everything seems ok. Have attached a pic of my unit below. Still not working so I guess I'll have to contact CS again Sad
TechnicMan attached the following image(s):
R2D2_Projector_Unit.jpg
TechnicMan
#19 Posted : 04 September 2017 15:36:40

Hi guys

Having a bit of a nightmare with CS. Rang them first and the lady said she'd send me a link with instructions on how to check if it's put together correctly. She sent me the link to the Official Diary board on here with the original instruction. SO no help at all.

Then I emailed, explaining in detail that I wasn't getting any image at all (not even Luke), that I'd checked all the connections and tried new batteries. I got this stock reply:

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to write to us.

We are sorry to hear that you have experienced issues with your R2D2 projector. We have followed up on this inquiry with our technical department, who have provided the following information.

Neither the projector, nor the testing board are actually faulty. The projector will work properly and will project both clips once the whole assembly is completed.
Using the testing board to control the projector to project both clips, can come up with inconsistent result when the battery level of the battery box starts to drop. As a result, the programming on the IC of projector has been modified just to project the “Luke” clip, instead of both clips when tested at issue #29.
There is a work around, which will allow you to project the “Leia” clip by providing a direct connection between two points on the test board (ie shorting them).

If you require any additional information, please feel free to contact us .

So I emailed back explaining everything again. I didn't get a reply to that email.

So, I emailed again:

Quote:
I haven't received a reply to my last email, however, I have been discussing my problem with the experts on the forum. Please see this link: http://forum.model-space...px?g=posts&t=23853. My forum id is TechnicMan and, as you will see, Tomick has advised me to contact you for a replacement. Also on that thread, forum user AJL178 states that he has contacted Customer Services and they have agreed to supply a replacement Issue 27.

With all that in mind, can you please supply me a replacement for issue 27.

And today I got this reply:

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to write to us.

We are sorry to hear that you have experienced issues with your R2D2 projector. We have followed up on this inquiry with our technical department, who have provided the following information.

Neither the projector, nor the testing board are actually faulty. The projector will work properly and will project both clips once the whole assembly is completed.

Using the testing board to control the projector to project both clips, can come up with inconsistent result when the battery level of the battery box starts to drop. As a result, the programming on the IC of projector has been modified just to project the “Luke” clip, instead of both clips when tested at issue #29.

There is a work around, which will allow you to project the “Leia” clip by providing a direct connection between two points on the test board (ie shorting them).

Please be aware that any modification to your model is at your own risk, and DeAgostini cannot be held responsible for any damage caused to the parts.

If you require any additional information, please feel free to contact us.

They don't seem to have even read the email properly. Is it worth trying again?
marklunch
#20 Posted : 04 September 2017 16:03:26

Hiya,

Bit of a lurker here, this is my first post!

TechnicMan, I have the same problem as you, just a white light showing. I called them up today and she gave me the advice about shorting the pins, I told them I had seen that advice on this forum. The lady then said she would send me a replacement today.

I know it is a pain calling them, as it takes a while to connect, but you might get a more satisfactory result calling them?

Hope this helps.
Current build: R2D2