Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123
Photobucket - suspending accounts! Options
stevegbr
#41 Posted : 14 July 2017 11:45:24

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

i have cancelled mine, i could not trust them again to do what they have just done.
roymattblack
#42 Posted : 14 July 2017 11:54:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

My account also cancelled. There's no way I would trust them for anything in the future.
ModelMania
#43 Posted : 14 July 2017 14:37:14

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

After many hours spent over the course of the last week, I have trawled through all of my build diaries, my kit reviews and my finished build galleries and restored ALL of my photos and rewritten a lot of text just to allow them to make sense! I am fuming mad that Photobucket have caused me to have to do this, it is time I really couldn't afford to spend repairing their damage, but, finally I've finished. I even managed to find what I thought were 'lost forever' photos (nothing to do with Photobucket though), of my finished DeAgostini McLaren MP4/23 build from when I was known as 'SennaMentalMe' on the forum, so that has also been restored to the 'Finished Build Gallery' as well!!

My Photobucket account has been deleted and I will never use a third party hosting site ever again!! The Modelspace photo attachment system isn't perfect as it doesn't allow text between images, which is how I would prefer to publish my posts, but at least I know I'll never have to spend time restoring my work as long as the forum exists and the attaching of photos is really quite easy once you understand how it works?

Now I can get back to what I should be doing in my working life and better still get on with some modelling and hopefully updating my build diaries.... Happy days are here again!!! Cool Love Drool BigGrin

Kev Smile
Gandale
#44 Posted : 14 July 2017 20:44:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Can understand members frustration over the Photobucket issue, it has left many members angry across a multitude of different forum and unfortunately there is no easy way to resolve the issue of missing photos on members diaries/posts.  There has been much said about the possibility of moving images to other photo sharing sites such as Imgur, Flickr and even the cloud, however this is not a direction I would recommend members take.  It is likely other photo sharing sites will follow Photobucket’s actions and this will once again leave members angry and frustrated as they try to go through the process of again restoring their build diaries and posts or the loss of their images. My recommendation is to store your images locally, back up on a portable hard drive or USB memory stick and upload your pics on posts using the forums own upload facility. 

http://forum.model-space....aspx?g=posts&t=244

Using the forums own facility means you can be safe in the knowledge images are safe, secure and free from any charges now or in the future, nor will your images be shared with any other third party. The only downside to this method is you cannot post text between images which I think under the present circumstances is a minor inconvenience.

We ask members to give due consideration to restoring the missing images on their diaries and posts wherever possible.  Appreciate this is going to be a timely process but it is something that can be done a little at a time.  What we don’t want to see is the forum full of the Photobucket image giving free advertising for their business, especially in light of the actions they have taken.  Those members who decide not to restore their diaries, then I ask they send me a PM with links to their affected diaries and advising the diaries can be deleted, this will then be done.  I think all members will agree a diary without its images makes no sense at all and only serves to put people off from reading.

To restore your images you would have to edit each post containing the Photobucket image, remove the direct link to the images within the body of the post.   Once the post has been edited, locate the post and then upload the replacement images for that post using the 'Attach' button. Make sure you resize your images first to ensure they are around 450 x 600 pixels or 148kb in file size.  You may also have to adjust the body of the text so everything within the post makes sense.

It’s a lot of work for some members I know, but even moving images to another file sharing site will result in the links to those images having to be edited, either way there is no easy solution. After a period of time (yet to be decided), those diaries/posts still containing Photobucket notices will be deleted…

Appreciate your cooperation

Regards

Alan
davetwin
#45 Posted : 14 July 2017 23:12:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

For resizing pictures I can highly recommend the free program irfanview. I have been using it for years, it even gives you some photo editing options.
jase
#46 Posted : 15 July 2017 10:01:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

OK so big lessens learned for me as my work shared on this site since 2010 has been deviated by Photobucket.

I am currently trying to recover what I can, my situation is as follows.

I have two photo bucket accounts. the more recent one I have been able to download the content. the older one that covers the vast majority of my work is locked I cannot enter without paying money. I am trying to find a backdoor way to get in and download content how successful I will be I don't know.

Most of my backed up pics are on an old windows driven laptop with a failed screen so cannot access them so I am at risk of loosing almost all my work both builds and kit reviews.

my more recent posts use Flicker but I will be moving to attaching files at the end of the post from my Mac in future, not ideal as you cannot put text between pictures but I can work around that.

next problem is repairing the damage it could take months to do this and use time better spent in my workshop with a model.

so I have decided to recover everything I can and restore current build pics first

Warrior, Mossy, pickle if needed

then restore any finished build diaries.

finally restore any kit reviews

parked builds I will not restore and allow Model space to remove them. I will recreate them when I pick up the builds again.

this seems the best way for me to manage the workload but currently is dependent on being able to get my pictures back

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
jonny7england
#47 Posted : 15 July 2017 10:48:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Jase...I managed to download my pictures off of Photobucket by save as one by one directly to my PC...Took me a day and a half doing it but at least I managed to save my pics. Restoring my build diaries are going to be painfully slow, but, at least I've got the pics re-unite with my diaries....
John

Smile ThumpUp
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
jase
#48 Posted : 15 July 2017 10:51:53

jonny7england wrote:
Hi Jase...I managed to download my pictures off of Photobucket by save as one by one directly to my PC...Took me a day and a half doing it but at least I managed to save my pics. Restoring my build diaries are going to be painfully slow, but, at least I've got the pics re-unite with my diaries....
John

Smile ThumpUp

great news, I have done that from one account but cannot get into my other
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
delboy271155
#49 Posted : 15 July 2017 21:45:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

jonny7england wrote:
John

Smile ThumpUp

Hi John,BigGrin

Good to see you have recovered your pics. Cool Cool

I`d been trying to load pics into an album and then download the album and it was a nightmare. You spend ages loading 100 pics into an album, then when you download it only 75 or so pics download. Cursing

Have now tried your method and although you said it was slow work, it`s faster than the method I`ve been trying and works every time. To that end I`m sticking with the individual download method.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

jonny7england
#50 Posted : 16 July 2017 06:00:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Derek...I tried a couple of methods to regain my pics which seemed to fail miserably, the only way I could get them back complete was as I had mentioned. once I have restored my build diaries (which is going to take me ages) I shall transfer the pictures to a memory stick in future, glad it worked for you as well...
John

Wink ThumpUp
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
Nemesis
#51 Posted : 16 July 2017 11:20:28

Took a while after fighting through all the ads and pop ups, but I have finally managed to download all of my albums and took great pleasure in closing my account and telling them why!LOL Now to resize them and update my diaries, this is going to be time consuming!Blink BigGrin
tigerace
#52 Posted : 16 July 2017 11:26:31

Same here Daran its took me hours through this week just to sort them all outBlink now have to resize them and then put them back Crying slow and steady but we will get thereBigGrin regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

Gandale
#53 Posted : 28 August 2017 21:30:03

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Thanks has to go to SeanC for sharing this even so, this cannot be seen as a solution to the Photobucket picture problem simply because it will only work if members are using Google Chrome to view the forum, using any other browser will simply show the photobucket warning message.

However, this does give members the opportunity to restore their build diaries and posts rather than seeing them deleted. It allows you to identify which pic belongs to where and by using the snipping tool, take a copy of the pic and upload it to the forum using the forum's own upload facility.

To view all the pics, install Google Chrome and then add the extension by clicking on this link:

https://chrome.google.co...hnmfegnfnflicjjgj?hl=en

Start Google Chrome and navigate to the forum, all those missing photobucket images will then be visible allowing you to begin the restoration process.

Thanks again for sharing Sean..

Regards

Alan

Gandale
#54 Posted : 31 August 2017 10:33:40

A reminder for those that may not have seen it. Previous post gives information on a possible solution as to how you can restore your missing images on posts and diaries. You may find it useful.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan