Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

display body glue Options
semaj
#1 Posted : 04 September 2017 00:15:35

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

now im well into my build and loving every minute of it, i have done a bit of reading this evening and got to the section in pack 22 about glues. im not overly clued up on different types of glue for plastic, and its left me wandering what glue would be best to use for the display body. currently i have loctite superglue, i also have loctite threadlock (i do know a little about them), but from what i read, the superglue may not be the best for the display body. can anyone tell me what i would be best getting please?

cheers
james
Building:
Ghostbusters Ecto-1, Ford GT40, Gone in 60 seconds Eleanor mustang, Shelby Cobra
Complete:
R2D2, Red Bull RB7 RC, Battleship Bismarck, Shelby GT500 'super snake'
Tomick
#2 Posted : 04 September 2017 07:33:10

Groups:

Noted in issue 2 of the official build: You will need Superglue, a 'gel' type is recommended to avoid glue run, though avoid applying too much so as to avoid 'surface fog' around the joints. I will use "Loctite Power Flex" as it is more resitant to knock, and will also use ABS glue, (the plastic is ABS). Take great care with the application of ABS glue as it is a great paint stripper and will also damage plastic.
semaj
#3 Posted : 04 September 2017 16:29:21

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

i have superglue, but after reading the section in pack 22, it says that this is least desirable for the display body, and it also says:
"For your model, only adhesives that are made specifically for use on
polystyrene are suitable.
Ordinary superglue will also work on HIPS, but it is less
satisfactory because the crystalline layer that it forms when
it dries will not be transparent, it will be opaque white.
While this is hardly noticeable when it is used for
connecting the body segments together, because the joins
are hidden, if you use it when attaching small parts, such as
the antenna, the edges of the bonding area will be visible.
Also, there is a possibility that superglue may prevent paint
or varnish from adhering properly

Another disadvantage of superglue is that it attaches the
parts together indirectly rather than welding them
together, so the join is less stable and less impact-resistant
than one made with plastic adhesive. This is only an
advantage if you want to have the option of undoing the
adhesive bond again. As a rule, using plastic adhesive is the
better choice."

so i was asking what glues are best to use in this case? what type/make/brand of plastic adhesive would be recommended? this part of the build is where i am least experienced and want to do the best job possible
Building:
Ghostbusters Ecto-1, Ford GT40, Gone in 60 seconds Eleanor mustang, Shelby Cobra
Complete:
Tomick
#4 Posted : 04 September 2017 16:40:11

Groups:

As mentioned, I used a combination of "Loctite Power Flex" (which is a superglue) and ABS glue - both glue types can cause damage if not applied sparingly and plastic weld glues do exactly this, also when using superglue the work area needs to be well ventilated.

The instructions do indicate to use Superglue at the various stages such as the front wing at Stage/Issue 3 which is the display body wing which you've already assembled if your at Pack 22.
Also available now are low odour/low bloom Superglues which lessen the risk of white bloom and superglue fumes.

"Carr's Butanone" is one such ABS glue or "EMA plastic weld" is another, some have even used "EVO-STIK pvc pipe weld" - there are numerous ABS glues on the market which specify ABS plastic use. Some have also used a 5 min epoxy glue.
semaj
#5 Posted : 04 September 2017 17:28:46

ive not begun to assemble any of the display body yet. kinda building out of sequence, getting the chassis and all the workings built, so it can be run in, whilst i meticulously build the display body with all the painting involved. just want to build the display body with the best possible bond, as i know superglue is nice and quick to set, but quite a brittle bond.

thanks tomick
Building:
Complete:
Tomick
#6 Posted : 04 September 2017 17:45:34

Groups:

semaj wrote:
ive not begun to assemble any of the display body yet. kinda building out of sequence, getting the chassis and all the workings built, so it can be run in, whilst i meticulously build the display body with all the painting involved. just want to build the display body with the best possible bond, as i know superglue is nice and quick to set, but quite a brittle bond.

Thanks tomick
In that case you can only go with your own preference, though I might add that its Kyosho that have made the recommendation in the instructions.
semaj
#7 Posted : 04 September 2017 18:09:12

i was going to use susperglue, it was the info in pack 22 that got me thinking, so tought i would ask what other glues would be good to use as i dont know any others really that are for use with HIPS
Building:
Complete: