Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Help Leaking Shocks Options
GilShapley
#1 Posted : 14 July 2014 16:14:21

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Having installed the shocks I have noticed that when compressed the rear shocks are pushing oil out of the small hole in the casing

Have I overfilled them ?

and

will the leak eventually stop when the oil reached the required level

the front shocks are fine

Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused
Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
AndreZS1AZ
#2 Posted : 14 July 2014 16:28:40

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Where are the shocks leaking, top or bottom? There seems to be a hole at the top of the shock in the silver part. If the oil is coming out there then it is coming past the piston. You say that the front shocks are fine. Is there a difference between the front and rear shocks.
It's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop

Building: Bismark, 2.5m wingspan glider
GilShapley
#3 Posted : 14 July 2014 17:02:09

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

yes the oil is leaking out of the small hole at the top of the silver part
The only difference between the front and rear shocks is the spring, the front having a stronger spring I think.
If the oil is coming past the piston does that mean there is a problem with the seal between the piston and the cylinder??
Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
AndreZS1AZ
#4 Posted : 14 July 2014 18:13:13

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Ok, I am not building the Hummer but building the RB7, I would have prefered the Hummer but did not see it advertised in South Africa. Back to the leaking shocks. You are indeed correct when you say there might be a problem between the piston seal and the cylinder. I think that you should strip the shock down and carefully check all sliding parts and seals/o-rings for possible damage. Catch up the oil so that you can use it again. If you see no damage, rebuild the shock and check for leaks. Check the instruction sheet, you might have made a slip. I am not saying that you have, but mistakes do happen. Please keep us informed.
It's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop

Building: Bismark, 2.5m wingspan glider
grinningroo
#5 Posted : 04 September 2017 18:36:05

i have /had the same prob with my shocks i striped them down checked all parts re built and it still happened for a short time then stopped not sore why just figured the oil lvl drooped and that's why it stooped i had it happen on all four shocks
on my hummer