Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

17 Pages «<1314151617>
Movie version Surprise by Johncal Options
johncal
#281 Posted : 17 August 2017 14:16:35

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

It will be LED lighting. There will be different hues for day or night as well as a bluish hue for the coppered part of the hull.

There will be 4 variable voltage power supplies. 1 each for the hull light, day lights, night lights, and ship lights. This allows me to control the intensity of each separately. There will also be 2 rocker switches. 1 to turn the ship light on and off, and a 3 position rocker for day/ off/ night.
davetwin
#282 Posted : 17 August 2017 17:03:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Oh Wow, that is a beautifully made table. Will make a really nice display piece on its own Cool
Buccaneer15
#283 Posted : 19 August 2017 17:21:30

Groups: Registered, New Members

Hi John BigGrin

what a lovely job you have done! .. I hope mine will be as good as yours. I have just taken delivery of the first two packs of this great looking ship.

David (Buccaneer15)
jase
#284 Posted : 20 August 2017 07:35:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

You display table is fantastic
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
johncal
#285 Posted : 24 August 2017 23:12:15

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Here's another update!

Today after work I cut all the glass framing wood to size and ran it through the mortis and tenner machines. It was a lot of fun learning how to do that. Then when I got home, I just wanted to dry fit a couple of sides together just to make sure I had all my measurements correct. Everything fit perfectly so now I can go ahead this weekend and glue the frames together.

After that, I have to route the glass channels in there and do some decorative round overs on a couple of corners. That will be the last part where
I need to be really careful I don't screw something up! Then I have to do all the pre-drilling and install the Stainless Steel threaded inserts for the serviceable side of the cabinet. In other words the front I would remove to do anything on the ship. Any sides that are not meant for that will just be wood screwed together as those parts would only have to come apart in the unlikely event of a broken piece of glass.

Then I can finish pre-assembling and then take everything apart to apply the dye stain and finish.

I'll keep doing detailed updates in case anyone else ever does a display cabinet there might be some helpful hints in there!

johncal
#286 Posted : 26 August 2017 21:16:05

One more quick update. Today I glued together all the glass frames and painted the grid for the light diffuser. Next I need to do all the routing of the glass channels on the glass frames and then I can start some pre assembly of the whole thing!

Gluing them up....

All done....

The painted light diffuser grid....

Gandale
#287 Posted : 26 August 2017 23:30:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

You certainly have the carpentry skills, display cabinet looks fabulous.....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
johncal
#288 Posted : 03 September 2017 03:06:13

Hey Guys, this will be my last FULL update for a while. I might post a few pics here and there of some of the cabinet work, but from this point on I want to keep it kind of a "Surprise" until its done. In the mean time, I finished off the glass frames. They had to be routed and then the corners had to be chiseled and sanded square. What a real pain because it's all done by eye.... and there's 16 of them! But it turned out great. I also threw in a picture of all the completed cabinet wood assembled with the hardware.

What's left after this is really quite a bit. First I have to cut all the glass retainer strips and and install them with screws, then I have to take the entire cabinet apart for staining and finishing. I will have to give everything a really good finish sanding first. That alone will take a good day.

Then after finishing I have to re-assemble everything, install the glass, all of the lighting, (lots of work there), the power supplies and switches, and then the ship itself. Also, between the 2 upper frames you see is a space where a 4" band of stained glass will go all the way around. There is also a mural that will go behind the back glass when the cabinet is up against a wall. After that I have to design the plaque, have it made, install it, and then I'll be mostly done, but as you can see there's still a long way to go.

ROUTING THE GLASS FRAMES:

FINISHED CHISELED AND SANDED CORNERS:

FINISHED AND ASSEMBLED CABINET WOOD AND HARDWARE:

tigerace
#289 Posted : 03 September 2017 10:05:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

What an outstanding piece of workBigGrin that will look stunning when the model is in placeDrool Drool regards Phil
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

pemberg
#290 Posted : 03 September 2017 15:31:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That is one impressive display case, absolutely beautiful work.

Graeme
johncal
#291 Posted : 28 September 2017 00:20:27

Here's a photo of a few of the finished components.. I'll start assembly in another 2 weeks. The finish takes forever to dry.

Gandale
#292 Posted : 28 September 2017 09:19:42

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Beautiful display case and the finish looks amazing.....Love Love

Regards

Alan
jonny7england
#293 Posted : 28 September 2017 10:28:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That is some display case!! It echoes all that brilliant work that you put into your Surprise build. Both admirable pieces of work, I'm in awe, both magnificent achievements!!
Love
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
johncal
#294 Posted : 13 October 2017 01:09:49

I know I'm not quite finished and I promised a whole bunch of really good pics, but I was too excited not to share a few shots of the almost completed project. All I have left are a couple of plaques which you'll see when I do the good photo shoot, but I hope you enjoy this in the meantime.

It's been a long 5-1/2 years and a lot of the money, but I couldn't be more happy with the results.
Martyn Ingram
#295 Posted : 13 October 2017 07:09:25

BigGrin Wow that looks absolutely stunning , well done my friend Cool

Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
jonny7england
#296 Posted : 13 October 2017 07:27:14

Now...That is some build and display case..It's just got to be classed as the build of the year!! Fabulous!!
Love Drool
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
birdaj2
#297 Posted : 13 October 2017 08:17:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

jonny7england wrote:
Now...That is some build and display case..It's just got to be classed as the build of the year!! Fabulous!!
Love Drool

I'll second that.

A really beautiful model and a joy to have watched it taking shape but the whole projects takes on a whole new dimension with that lovely display unit.

Rare to see such brilliant craftsmanship at work.

Top marks to you.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
tigerace
#298 Posted : 13 October 2017 08:57:42

Well that looks beautifulDrool Drool top workDrool Love regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

davetwin
#299 Posted : 13 October 2017 15:26:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Completely blown away by your display case Drool Drool

If I didn't know any better I would have said that it was a display in a museum!!

Outstanding craftmanship Cool Cool
johncal
#300 Posted : 13 October 2017 17:15:57

davetwin wrote:
Completely blown away by your display case Drool Drool

If I didn't know any better I would have said that it was a display in a museum!!

Outstanding craftmanship Cool Cool

Thanks. That was what I was looking to accomplish. I can't wait to get it finalized and show everyone some really good shots.