Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

R2-D2 customised build page 6 Options
Markwarren
#1 Posted : 14 September 2017 21:46:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

I have now varnished all the parts and allowed to dry. Before I assemble the pieces, I first test the motor using the battery pack supplied.
Markwarren attached the following image(s):
Photo 170.jpg
Photo 169.jpg
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 14 September 2017 21:47:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Here, you can see I have added magnets for the bus cable to snap into place. I know the cables are a tight fit, but this method keeps them in place, should they become loose. Once I have finished it is time to assemble all the parts to the leg.
Photo 171.jpg
Photo 172.jpg
Markwarren
#3 Posted : 14 September 2017 21:48:13

These are the final pictures of the foot section attached to the leg. The pictures have been taken in artificial lighting, so they look a bit harsh in places, but the overall look is very subtle.
Photo 173.jpg
Photo 174.jpg
Photo 175.jpg
Photo 176.jpg
Photo 177.jpg
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 08 October 2017 18:11:28

Finishing off the leg, putting the rubber grommets into the screw holes. A couple of the holes have a flat side to the circle, so I cut the rubber grommet to fit, it’s not essential, I just decided it wound look better. The final pictures show the leg complete.
Photo 178.jpg
Photo 179.jpg
Photo 180.jpg
Markwarren
#5 Posted : 08 October 2017 18:12:26

Now onto the second leg. A lot of prep work being done in this post. I finished off the top shoulder piece, having rubbed off the white paintwork to expose the silver metallic edges as I did in the first leg. I then used some starship filth oil paint to weather the inside if the housing areas, before attaching the parts.
Photo 181.jpg
Photo 182.jpg
Markwarren
#6 Posted : 08 October 2017 18:13:18

I then primed all these parts before painting them silver, as shown. These will be allowed to dry for a couple of days before painting them their final colour.
Photo 185.jpg
Photo 183.jpg
Markwarren
#7 Posted : 15 October 2017 19:43:13

I have now allowed the silver paint to harden. I have, as before, applied some Humbrol Maskcol to the silver before painting it white. I have also masked areas on the blue panel ready for painting.
Photo 186.jpg
Markwarren
#8 Posted : 15 October 2017 19:49:44

Here you can see I have painted some of the parts ready for weathering.

I have also been playing around with the light saber, not literally, but looking to see if there is any way of adding some lighting to it. I will update again on this once I have had a play.BigGrin
Photo 187.jpg