Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

How To Improve A Cheap Airbrush Options
arpurchase
#1 Posted : 21 October 2017 00:15:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi All

I started off my airbrushing by buying a starter set compressor with two airbrushes from the C.C.C' genre [cheap chinese copy's] and also found they can be lacking when you need to go for the finer work.

There are ways of improving them if you are willing to take some time the tips I read and followed a while back are more or less the same as in the attached video. Dont get me wrong this is a way of improving a cheap airbrush so you get better results from it but for the real fine work invest in a Neo or better when you can.

Tip 1/ The main problem with C.C.Cs is the needle it may look smooth but its rougher than a rasp file. So polishing the tip improves it no end you can use a fine valve grinding paste or the tamiya polishing compound to do this. The more you polish the better it will perform.

Tip 2/ Dump the seal and replace with beeswax as in the video, this works and only needs replacing with a major breakdown clean.

Link to video:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkqCwc5-tbA

The more you polish that needle the better it will perform and yes you could just buy an Iwata needle and replace the cheap one but what your after is a cheap airbrush that will do all the basic and mid range spraying and thus saving your expensive airbrushes for the fine work so they last longer.

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Bazholding
#2 Posted : 21 October 2017 11:46:49

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I have a dremel I could use to polish the needle but do you think it would heat it up too much and warp it?
Current builds: HMS Victory, hachette black pearl, DC-3, R2-D2, Millennium Falcon
arpurchase
#3 Posted : 21 October 2017 12:44:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I would do it by hand unless you are very good at honing spinning steel needles.
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

darbyvet
#4 Posted : 21 October 2017 17:31:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice article Andy.

Carl

Garth
#5 Posted : 24 October 2017 11:46:14

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Andy,
Thank you for your article. I have just bought a ccc setup and will give it a go.
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
arpurchase
#6 Posted : 24 October 2017 17:57:56

BigGrin Glad to be of help and thanks for readingCool