Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

PeterB Options
PeterB
#1 Posted : 12 November 2017 17:08:07

Groups: Registered

Subject: USS Constitution waterline model.
Posted: Sunday, Nov 12, 2017

G'mornin all.....

I'm a new forum member and very interested in the USS Constitution Kit, but would greatly prefer to end up with a "waterline" model when finished.

- Does the kit possibly include instructions for trimming keel, etc to make a waterline model?

- Has anyone tried this and possibly willing to share "how"?

Thanks very much for any guidance/assistance....

PeterB
birdaj2
#2 Posted : 12 November 2017 17:13:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

PeterB wrote:
Subject: USS Constitution waterline model.
Posted: Sunday, Nov 12, 2017

G'mornin all.....

I'm a new forum member and very interested in the USS Constitution Kit, but would greatly prefer to end up with a "waterline" model when finished.

- Does the kit possibly include instructions for trimming keel, etc to make a waterline model?

- Has anyone tried this and possibly willing to share "how"?

Thanks very much for any guidance/assistance....

PeterB

Peter

The instructions cater for a full hull ship.

If it helps you can read the instructions here

https://www.model-space....e-uss-constitution.html

Look under the build tab

Not sure it would be that easy to convert to waterline unless you have some experience of ship building,
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
arpurchase
#3 Posted : 12 November 2017 19:06:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Peter

Welcome to the forum as for waterline models I think someone did it with the Victory a good while back. I think he built the hull then cut the bottom off it either way you would need careful planing to carry this out.

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

pemberg
#4 Posted : 12 November 2017 20:05:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to the forum. I have not seen any of the DeAgs' period ships built as a waterline model but I would imagine that you would have to build the hull then make a jig to hold it on it's side and use a band saw to cut the bottom off the hull. As Andy says, it would take careful planning to get an accurate cut and would be an expensive mistake if it went wrong.

Graeme
birdaj2
#5 Posted : 12 November 2017 20:19:12

Peter

Just thinking about this question again and one option might be to build it as a full hull kit and then set the hull into a display base designed to look like the sea but with a suitable cut out to "sink" the ship upto its waterline mark.

At least that way if you were not happy with the result all you have lost is time in making the seascape.

Sure there are other options but i was thinking a thick polystyrene layer with the hull shape cut out so that the ship sits into that. You could then build up the sea effect with the usual materials.

Just a thought Confused

PS

Just looked through youtube and while this is for a plastic model it describes what i am trying to get at above - hope it may help

https://youtu.be/yTth_QK0w7w

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
PeterB
#6 Posted : 12 November 2017 23:38:17

In re: waterline model of USS Constitution..........

Wow - thanks for your thoughts, gentlemen! Sounds like I maybe need to rethink this idea but I'd like to go over the building plans to see if I can spot any possibilities first. Do they publish the later phase building instructions anywhere?

I'm wondering about starting at the "finished" end to locate the waterline on the parts and working backwards to the beginning. Probably take forever, but time I've got! I'm not sure I said that quite right but you experienced craftsman will understand what I'm saying. Sure would make an interesting "builder's log".

Thanks again..........

PeterB
arpurchase
#7 Posted : 12 November 2017 23:52:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Peter

I am doing the official build for the Conny if you look there its currently starting the second planking stage, so scrolling back on the pictures should give you an idea on where you want to go.

Link below:-

http://forum.model-space...aspx?g=topics&f=490

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Spal
#8 Posted : 13 November 2017 00:05:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to the forum Peter BigGrin hope to see some of your work on here.

Al
delboy271155
#9 Posted : 13 November 2017 00:05:29

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Peter BigGrin

Welcome to the forum.

Which ever way you choose to go with your build, I look forward to seeing the results. Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Tomick
#10 Posted : 13 November 2017 08:19:49

Groups:

PeterB wrote:
Do they publish the later phase building instructions anywhere?
The later instructions are currently being worked on and will be added to the web page as each is completed.

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your stay with us Cool

Gandale
#11 Posted : 13 November 2017 09:52:45

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Welcome to the forum Peter, great to have you aboard..... Whichever direction you decide to go it will be very interesting following your build to see how it all turns out..... good luck with your project.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
tigerace
#12 Posted : 13 November 2017 13:14:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to the forum Peter BigGrin hope you sort a solutionBigGrin would look so cool as a dioBigGrin regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

PeterB
#13 Posted : 13 November 2017 13:46:34

In re waterline Constitution..

Thanks for the input, comments, suggestions, and warm welcome. I think I'm gonna like it here....

PeterB
Metal Mech
#14 Posted : 13 November 2017 15:21:58

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hey Peter welcome to the forum. I am the forum support team member for the USA side. I am here to help you with any questions or concerns about the forum and models kits. Feel free to contact me if you have any issues you need help with. If I don’t know the answer I will find it out for you.

As you can already see we have plenty of helpful and knowledgeable memebers on here that are always willing to help you as well. It’s a very fun and friendly place to be. I hope you enjoy your time here and look forward to seeing how your build progresses.

DeAgostini kit builds:

Millennium Falcon: 18% Complete
Shelby GT-500: 28% Complete
Thunderbird 2: 13.75% Complete