Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

17 Pages «<14151617>
Movie version Surprise by Johncal Options
pemberg
#301 Posted : 13 October 2017 20:22:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

A fabulous case for a fabulous model, well done.

Graeme
arpurchase
#302 Posted : 13 October 2017 22:27:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looks good to meCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Bazholding
#303 Posted : 13 October 2017 22:33:00

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

that looks amazing, well done
Current builds: HMS Victory, hachette black pearl, DC-3, R2-D2, Millennium Falcon
johncal
#304 Posted : 12 November 2017 01:18:52

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

OK, I got just a little too burned out to do a full photo shoot but here's some fairly decent pics of the finished project (follow the link). Please feel free to download if it might be of any help.

https://www.dropbox.com/...TgMXTJzB6kLSYxJ62a?dl=0

I used Dropbox because everybody should be able to see the photos and you can enlarge them for super detail.

delboy271155
#305 Posted : 12 November 2017 02:19:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Absolutely stunning piece of work.

Cool Love Cool Love Cool

Congrats on your "Red" medal for a finished build, I loved every minute I spent looking through this diary over time.

WTG

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

scraperjawa
#306 Posted : 12 November 2017 08:24:46

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

You have set the bar very high for the rest of us shipbuilders. Amazing piece of work and a beautiful display case as well. I’ve really enjoyed watching this come together.

Regards,

Stephen
Current Builds: HMS Sovereign of the Seas /// Lamborghini Countach /// Eaglemoss BTTF DeLorean

Finished Builds: Millennium Falcon

johncal
#307 Posted : 14 November 2017 00:43:56

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

scraperjawa wrote:
You have set the bar very high for the rest of us shipbuilders. Amazing piece of work and a beautiful display case as well. I’ve really enjoyed watching this come together.

Regards,

Stephen

If indeed I have set the bar very high then first I would like to thank you for the compliment and secondly I'd like to say that I'm glad I did!

I had a mentor at the Annapolis Naval Academy (Rogers Ship Museum) who runs the model ship restoration workshop. He set the bar extremely high for me especially with some of the best ship models in the world as my guide! I don't think I cleared the bar by any means, but I do think I at least smacked into it a couple of times. But without him setting that high bar for me, I never would have achieved what I did. So I hope my setting the bar high will encourage you all to do better than your best.... and mine!

The best way I can pay my mentor back is to say that if any of you need some advice or hints, whether it's additional photos or some help or encouragement, please send me a private message so I can take what I've learned and help you do better and help you to avoid the mistakes I made myself.

This has been a huge learning experience for me. Way beyond the model itself. It was a history lesson, and a BIG lesson in patience, and a real drive for perfection. Of course you'll never be perfect, but it sure won't hurt to make that your goal.

I will also be posting my build log soon. It's very lengthy, (massive actually) but it will give you a lot of insight as to what I went through during the build and how I pushed through it. A lot of it wasn't fun at all, but things that are worth it are sometimes very tough to achieve.

I will leave with one big hint though. You've heard the expression "How do you eat an Elephant?" answer "One bite at a time". What I did was first I came up with my overall goal and plan. Then Each and every piece of that ship that I built, every yard, mast, cannon, figurine, hatch, you name it was treated as a separate model all on its own. I didn't move on until that model was the best I could possibly make it. Anything I can help with please let me know.
johncal
#308 Posted : 14 November 2017 00:59:30

Just added my build logs to the Dropbox link with the photos. I also added a folder with the early and later build pics. If you want to see how I did anything on the ship, you sure can now. These photos will be helpful if reading the build logs and will help to make the logs make more sense.

Now all my information on my build is in one place!

https://www.dropbox.com/...MTgMXTJzB6kLSYxJ62a?dl=0
jase
#309 Posted : 14 November 2017 09:12:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Your finished build and display is spectacular

I for one will be grabing your pics from drop box great idea Suprise is on my wish list for the future

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Gandale
#310 Posted : 14 November 2017 10:17:58

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

This has turned out to be a fantastic piece of work and you should feel exceptionally proud of your achievements. Its a build that will be admired by many for many years to come.....Love Love .. Simply stunning....

Cheers

Alan
birdaj2
#311 Posted : 14 November 2017 10:24:43

I think this has to be the best build i have ever seen and to go that extra mile and create such a beautiful display case for it makes it even more special.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Matelot one
#312 Posted : 16 November 2017 23:30:23

Absolutely stunning as we have come to expect with you John, I will, and have been looking over your dropbox of your build. So what's next to keep you busy with? any thoughts yet?
________________________________________________________________________________________

Built Mare Nostrum
Google Photo Album
Matelot (ˈmætləʊ) , Matlo or Matlow
noun
(Nautical Terms) slang chiefly Brit - a sailor

johncal
#313 Posted : 17 November 2017 01:31:25

Matelot one wrote:
Absolutely stunning as we have come to expect with you John, I will, and have been looking over your dropbox of your build. So what's next to keep you busy with? any thoughts yet?

Well first I'm going to take a really looooong break and then I'm going to build a Trumpeter Ford Gt40 model kit. The kit has been obsolete for years and thy are very expensive if you can find one, but I snagged one for $200 so I am both lucky and happy. The trick on that one is all in the paint work. Of course I'm going to go overboard with everything, but why not.

Anyways if I can ever help you out with anything on your build, please don't hesitate to ask!
birdaj2
#314 Posted : 17 November 2017 11:32:54

Good luck with your gt40.

Its a great looking car and even more special in the scale you have picked up.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
johncal
#315 Posted : 18 August 2018 22:48:21

Not much happening on here lately, so I thought I'd share these "Words of Wisdom". Had it kicking around collecting dust and knowledge in a box isn't worth much. Hopefully this will be helpful so someone...….

Philosophy for being a great Model Crafter
by: John R. Callahan

The person I am talking to in this discussion is the person that really wants to accomplish the absolute best job that they can do in crafting a high-quality scale model. This article is not about technique, it is about the philosophies of APPROACH, DISCIPLINE, ATTITUDE, and PATIENCE. I will discuss each of these aspects of model building and the reasoning for mastering each. I will then follow up with simple rules to be followed to make your model turn out exactly the way you want it to.

APPROACH – They say, “Everything is in the approach” and they are right! What IS your expectation of the build? You must decide at the beginning what your approach and expectation is going to be. To build the absolute best model YOU can build, you will need to make a real COMMITMENT to the highest level of detail and quality possible and stick with it…...no matter what! We are going to assume you are aiming for the greatest level of detail and quality possible and are willing to make this commitment. You will need a dedicated approach. If you are not totally enthusiastic and dedicated to the project, then don’t bother. You will only do your best if you honestly want to.

DISCIPLINE – Discipline is probably the most important aspect to a good build. You must always, and I mean always follow the rules that you have pre-determined when you’ve made the decision to build a particular model. You will see more about discipline in the rules. If you are determined to build the best, do not settle for less…..ever.

ATTITUDE – The term “attitude is everything” is probably one of the biggest truths in everything you do in life. Building a quality model more than anything requires a good attitude and attitude re-adjustment from time to time. Things will often go in a way you did not intend, and sometimes there will be outright disasters. How you react and handle the inevitable problems will be determined by your attitude. If you break something or make a mistake, are you going to throw things across the room, smash your model, give up? Or are you going to grab ahold of yourself, step back and calmly correct things? Please keep this in mind, when you build a model, you are building a “prototype” a “one off”. Nothing is ever going to go perfectly, so get over it, fix it, and move on. Do not wallow in frustration.

SIMPLE RULES:

1. THINK THINGS OUT BEFORE YOU BUY – Why are you building this model? There can be many legitimate reasons. Just make sure at the end of the day that your reasons to build this model are good ones and that you are willing to spend as much time and money as necessary to complete the model properly no matter what it takes. Can you afford the kit or parts and all of the supplies necessary to complete the build as well as a protective case to display it in? You will need that protective case to protect that investment that can run into some serious money.

2. PLAN – Make sure you have adequate time in your busy life before you begin, and if the build takes much longer than you anticipated, are you willing to stick with it? When will you have time? You might be up late at night. More nights than you care to imagine. If you are motivated to build your model, this will happen more often than you might think.

3. RESEARCH – Well if you got past rules 1 and 2, let’s keep going. Research is the most important thing you can do be become a great model craftsman. You can’t build a great model of anything if you don’t fully understand the subject. To build a great model car, you need to understand cars. To build a great Period Ship, you should know how a period ship works and all of the history around it. If I were building a visible Heart, I’d be reading every medical book on hearts I could find. Do you see where I’m going? The educational aspect of model building can be one of its greatest rewards. It nice to learn something and have a practical example sitting right next to you!

4. DON’T BRING A KNIFE TO A GUNFIGHT – So don’t bring a dull pocket knife to a sharp Exacto knife job. You need to invest in all of the proper tools to do the job. If you are not willing to do this, your results will be questionable at best. Fortunately, you can get away with a lot less tools that you might thing you need to do a good job, and I’ll bet there’s a few you should have that you probably don’t even know you need. Most of the tools you need will be fairly inexpensive and can be used for purposes other than modelmaking.

5. SUPPLIES – Realize you could spend 2 to 5 times on the price of your kit to get the proper supplies to finish the kit properly. If you are not willing to do this, then don’t build the kit. Between Paints, primers, sandpaper, different glues, Exacto Knives and blades, masking tapes, micro drills, big drills, scissors, snippers, Decals, Threads, wires, small accessories, it all adds up really quickly. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

6. TIME AND SPACE – Please don’t build your model on your Dining Room Table. You might wind up sleeping alone. Your family needs you to respect their space if you want them to respect yours, and you will want a safe, quiet place to build your model where the cat won’t steal the parts! Also, remember your model might take years to build or even (yes) over 1000-2000 hours to build. You have to remember you have a family to balance your available time with. You really should discuss the idea of building a model with your family before you make the commitment, so you are being thoughtfully courteous of everyone around you.

7. STAY ON TASK – Plan your every move and mentally rehearse those moves over and over so that when you take that step on the build, you will feel comfortable and prepared, and most importantly relaxed when you take that step. NOTE: Do not jump around step to step out of order when building out of being anxious or excited. Finish the task at hand before you move on.

8. BE PATIENT- I know it’s tough, but glues and paints only dry so fast. All you’ll do by not waiting long enough is re-doing the job or possibly ruining the job and having a costly or impossible repair in front of you.

9. IF IT DOESN’T LOOK RIGHT, IT ISN’T- Stop and fix it now and don’t move on until it looks as perfect as you can get it. No exceptions, no excuses!!! Treat every part of the model like it is a model…...which is the truth. If you have a good overarching idea of what you are doing but a compartmentalize and isolate each step or operation, you will achieve better results.

10. PACE YOURSELF – This is not a race or a competition. Only go as fast as you feel comfortable going, and if you get frustrated, step away from it for a few hours, days, or even weeks if necessary. If you are not positively motivated to do the work, you will do a poor job. Give yourself a mental vacation every once in a while.

There’s obviously a lot more to model making but a good Model Building Philosophy is a great place to start. Good Luck!
Gandale
#316 Posted : 18 August 2018 23:22:45

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

An excellent and well thought out article. If everyone was to follow these straight forward guidelines then the chances of a successful build can only be enhanced. Thanks for taking the time to put this together and share with us all, appreciated.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#317 Posted : 18 August 2018 23:56:53

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Have to agree with Alan. Cool

Some good thought processes there.

Thanks

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

magpie1832
#318 Posted : 22 August 2018 21:25:57

Very Very true in every way. Nice read and worth any modeller to read and take note.

Chris Cool Cool
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

greg
#319 Posted : 27 November 2018 17:55:02

you are inspiring still, all these years later, thank you for your time and efforts

NOW - Building SWIFT 1805

long term goal "USS Constitution"
completed "Fair a Frame" by Model Shipways

Kev the Modeller
#320 Posted : 27 November 2018 21:07:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I agree, some totally sound advice, which has obviously been hard won over many years of model making and learning from the many mistakes made along the various journeys. If an aspiring modeller were to follow John's advice they could only ever improve their skills and the quality of their finished models.

An excellent philosophy John many thanks for taking the time to share it with us and very well done on your superb model of HMS Surprise. Whilst I am not and probably never will be a ship modeller, I know a master craftsman when I see one and you sir are definitely a top level modelmaker.

Thankyou ThumpUp

Kev Smile
Per Ardua Ad Astra