Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Millennium Falcon Customised Build Page 10 Options
Markwarren
#1 Posted : 29 October 2017 19:26:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Still detailing the surface of the Falcon, can’t believe how long it’s taking. I have finished the top turret, just needs varnishing. I have also started weathering the actuators and have glued them in place, ready to fine detail them.
The last pictures show where I have painted the inner cutaway hull parts red, showing the cut away sections. I have also dry brushed silver paint onto the black frame work I painted earlier in the build to give it a more metallic feel.

I am also waiting for some mirrored plastic card, which I will be using for the lighting of the exhaust vents. More soon.

Markwarren attached the following image(s):
Photo 558.jpg
Photo 559.jpg
Photo 560.jpg
Photo 561.jpg
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 04 November 2017 11:53:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

I have now completed the weathering of the back section, and most of the model, just a little more painting to do on the tube and nose section. The pictures don’t really show the detail to well, but I’m sure you get the idea.
As for the lighting under the exhaust vents, I have experimented with several options and I will probably go down the road of placing some strip lighting, and attaching it to the framework. I also notice whilst testing, that there was some considerable light bleed through the panels around the vents, so I will be blocking this out with some silver aluminium self-adhesive foil around this area. However, I will need to let the oils to dry and then seal it with some matt varnish before this can be done.

Photo 562.jpg
Photo 565.jpg
Photo 566.jpg
Markwarren
#3 Posted : 19 November 2017 20:39:05

I have had to respray the landing bay doors as some of the paint started coming away.Cursing
So, whilst I wait for them to dry again I have decided to start the power cable, that will run the lighting to the Falcon.
I have looked at the original fuelling pod I made and thought I would adapt it, adding further wiring to the console that Han Solo uses whilst refuelling the ship.
The first picture is a drawing I have done which will be the refuelling console. Now onto the fuelling pod.
There were no drawings to this, it was all trial and error and I just went with the flow. I then stuck with the idea of a hose type fuelling pod, similar to those found on a merchant navy fuelling ship. You can also see I made a dummy hose using the same electric cable that is used for the main wire to the Falcon.

Photo 569.jpg
Photo 570.jpg
Photo 571.jpg
Photo 572.jpg
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 19 November 2017 20:40:33

I then painted the piece yellow and added some red go faster stripes. Once this was done I then started connecting the wires. I fed the main cable through the tubing which will go down the centre column into the base. I have also added a red flashing LED light to the top of the pod for effect. There will be two more cables exiting the pod, one is for the main input, leading to a pumping station which the mains adapter will connect to. The second cable will of course go to the fuelling station, which will have a Han Solo figure standing next to it. The last picture shows some bluetak inside the base, this was used to weigh down the stand. I will then apply a permanent base to enclose the cables.
Photo 573.jpg
Photo 574.jpg
Photo 575.jpg
Photo 576.jpg
Markwarren
#5 Posted : 19 November 2017 20:41:58

The next pictures show the pod complete, although there is some weathering to do to finish it off, but it gives an idea of how it looks.
The last lot of pictures show the pod in place attached to the Falcon.

More soon.

Photo 577.jpg
Photo 578.jpg
Photo 579.jpg
Photo 580.jpg
Photo 581.jpg
Photo 582.jpg
Photo 583.jpg
Markwarren
#6 Posted : 21 November 2017 20:55:26

Continuing with the power pack/fuelling pod, I have now built the computer console that Han stands by, outside the Falcon. Using plastic styrene and some greeebies I found, the first picture shows the console without the lights. I then primed the part, sanding in between before painting it black and dry brushing it with silver to give a more metallic look. I then wired the lighting to the pod and tested it with a 9v battery as shown. The final picture shows a plastic mesh tubing I bought, which is normally used for jewellery, placed over the cable and dry brushed with silver.

Photo 584.jpg
Photo 585.jpg
Photo 586.jpg
Photo 587.jpg
Photo 588.jpg
Markwarren
#7 Posted : 21 November 2017 20:57:08

These pictures show it attached to the falcon again. This time I tested it with the 9v mains adapter and tested the working of the Falcon using the remote-control units. All passed with flying colours.ThumpUp
I just need to make the final pumping station with the connector installed so the mains adapter can connect to it. I will then place Han Solo figure next to the console.

Photo 589.jpg
Photo 590.jpg
Photo 591.jpg
Photo 592.jpg
Markwarren
#8 Posted : 22 November 2017 23:30:19

As I suggested in an earlier post, I wanted to have the exhaust vents to glow when the main sub light engine was on.
The first picture shows how I added some strip LED lighting to the back plate of the sub light engine parts. This would then glow through the inner back panel.
The second picture shows that I fitted some sticky silver foil to the underside of the back section, to stop any light bleed that would occur when lit.
The final picture shows how it looks once everything is in place.

Photo 594.jpg
Photo 593.jpg
Photo 595.jpg
Markwarren
#9 Posted : 26 November 2017 18:03:55

I have started weathering the landing bay doors, now that the paint has had time to dry after repainting them again. While I am waiting for the oils to dry, I have started building the fuel pumping station, that will be attached to the fuel pod and console, I made earlier. This will also be where I will connect the 9v mains adapter to. With a table full of plastic bits, styrene, bendy straws, heat shrink tubing and old model parts I started the construction. This time I had no drawing to work from, only something I had pictured in my head that I wanted it to look like. So, starting piecing things together yesterday and finishing gluing today, here it is. It has just been primed for now, so looks a little odd at the moment. The last lot of pictures show it next to the other parts that will be attached to it and the back of the module where the power connects.
Photo 596.jpg
Photo 597.jpg
Photo 598.jpg
Photo 599.jpg
Photo 600.jpg
Photo 601.jpg
Photo 602.jpg
Photo 603.jpg