Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Curly'Build Update Options
CKale
#1 Posted : 06 October 2017 17:02:30

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Here's my engine. I've painted it using the guidelines from the magazines. I'm by no means an expert at painting. I masked off various parts and did the best I could.

The trickiest part by far was trying to make the gold and black lines meet evenly in the last picture. I tried to match the join lines from the sides but it's really difficult to mask off this very narrow area. It's not as bad as the pictures make it look.

The other problem was painting the thin black lines on the filter head and hose (resting against the towel in picture 3) .These are recessed and incredibly narrow. It really needs the end of a cocktail stick and a steady hand.

The gold paint is a great match for cylinder head but goes on really thin so needs quite a few coats.

I'm glad I did it though. There are more painting tips for other parts in later issues.
CKale attached the following image(s):
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
Metal Mech
#2 Posted : 06 October 2017 17:22:59

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks really good. I have found that even just painting a part or two makes a world of difference in the look of a kit.

I think yours turned out pretty good. Looking forward to seeing more.

DeAgostini kit builds:

Millennium Falcon: 18% Complete
Shelby GT-500: 28% Complete
Thunderbird 2: 13.75% Complete
delboy271155
#3 Posted : 06 October 2017 17:27:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

That looks good. BigGrin

I was only saying yesterday, that I was looking to back track on my own engine to paint in the detail. You`ve got me convinced now that`s the way to go.

Congrats on your "Blue" medal for starting your diary.

Cool Cool Cool Cool

One tip if I may.

If you reduce the width of your pics to 600 - 660 pixels they will fit the width of the forum without the need to scroll the pic back and forth.

Keep up the good work, it`s coming on fine.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

CKale
#4 Posted : 06 October 2017 19:12:19

Metal Mech wrote:
Looks really good. I have found that even just painting a part or two makes a world of difference in the look of a kit.

I think yours turned out pretty good. Looking forward to seeing more.

Thank You Metal Mech. That was what inspired me to start painting. There are a few quick wins that anyone could manage and make the details stand out.
CKale
#5 Posted : 06 October 2017 19:17:53

delboy271155 wrote:
That looks good. BigGrin

I was only saying yesterday, that I was looking to back track on my own engine to paint in the detail. You`ve got me convinced now that`s the way to go.

Cool Cool Cool Cool

One tip if I may.

If you reduce the width of your pics to 600 - 660 pixels they will fit the width of the forum without the need to scroll the pic back and forth.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Thanks for the top tip Derek. I'll make sure to resize future pics to fit. It was early on in the engine build that I decided to have a go at painting it. I took apart the bits I'd done, painted it then assembled it.
Is that what you're going to do or would you paint it after assembly?
Gandale
#6 Posted : 06 October 2017 20:02:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Nice piece of work, progressing very nicely....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#7 Posted : 06 October 2017 21:58:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

CKale wrote:
delboy271155 wrote:
That looks good. BigGrin

Cool Cool Cool Cool

One tip if I may.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Thanks for the top tip Derek. I'll make sure to resize future pics to fit. It was early on in the engine build that I decided to have a go at painting it. I took apart the bits I'd done, painted it then assembled it.
Is that what you're going to do or would you paint it after assembly?

Hi, BigGrin

I was looking to paint when apart, as I think a paint job when assembled could end up messy. At the moment I don`t think there will be any visible seams to cause any problems, but we`ll see how it goes.

Happy building

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

CKale
#8 Posted : 03 December 2017 18:15:40

Thought it was time to post a couple more pics showing progress. On advice for resizing them these are a fair bit smaller than before so hope they look ok.
As per magazine advice I've repainted parts supplied silver that should be black and parts supplied black that should be silver. Also the silver clip at the end of the hoses to match the one supplied with Issue 30.
The oil sump fit is very tight. I'll probably remove it and sand the posts a little before pressing it back in place or else I won't be able to remove it at all to change the battery once the build is finished.
I'm up to issue 34 now. This was sent to me with both sections of the radiator already together. I can't get them apart and I've supplied a picture, end on, showing that there doesn't seem to be a join at all on one edge. It's as if it was manufactured in one piece. I'll probably glue the cowl in place to get around this. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had the same experience.
20171203_165121-637x358.jpg
20171203_165203-637x358.jpg
20171203_165325-637x358.jpg
CKale
#9 Posted : 03 December 2017 18:21:10

Above post should say the radiator parts were supplied with issue 33.
I didn't want to edit the text in case the pictures got lost.
Please note the position of the steering column in the middle pic. I've seen a couple of build diaries, pre-engine being fitted to frame, where the steering column seems to be in the wrong place.
CKale
#10 Posted : 03 December 2017 18:46:28

One other point to note. Magazine issue 33 picture 12 mentions fitting a hose from issue 32. This should say from issue 30. This is confirmed by the official build diary forum.
roymattblack
#11 Posted : 03 December 2017 18:48:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

There is no join around the edges for the rad parts.
The inner face is recessed into the frame so the join is actually around the flat inner face.
If the parts are difficult to get apart then don't worry about it.
Drizzle a little cyano glue around the join and into the screw holes.
The rad parts don't need to come apart again anyway.

Roy.
CKale
#12 Posted : 03 December 2017 18:57:16

Ah, thanks Roy. I see what you mean. I was taking them apart to screw the cowl in place. :-)
Spal
#13 Posted : 03 December 2017 21:34:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Making good progress on this BigGrin looks great.

Al
CKale
#14 Posted : 03 December 2017 21:55:51

Thank you very much Al. It's a great build and I'm really impressed with the quality of the parts.

Fun to see the other builds coming together too.
Gandale
#15 Posted : 04 December 2017 09:03:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking good, great to hear you're enjoying the build.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
CKale
#16 Posted : 08 December 2017 15:14:57

I'm still doing some painting of parts attached to the bulkhead so skipped ahead to issue 39 - second wheel, first set of spokes attached.
Piccy.jpg
Markwarren
#17 Posted : 08 December 2017 15:37:02

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Looking really good, the engine looks superb.BigGrin

Mark
CKale
#18 Posted : 08 December 2017 17:21:58

Thanks Mark. Kudos to Roy for his incredibly detailed build and Monty's is looking fine too.

I don't have their skills but it's coming along ok.