Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages «<91011
A Pair of Pups Options
pemberg
#201 Posted : 04 December 2017 22:37:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

You are doing a brilliant job with these. You are showing just what can be done with card models.

Graeme
tigerace
#202 Posted : 05 December 2017 09:59:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

the quality of your work is superb RobinBigGrin the detail on each is amazingDrool Drool great jobDrool Drool regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

Plymouth57
#203 Posted : 05 December 2017 22:03:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Many thanks indeed to Tony, Mark, Graeme and Phil, I wish I'd discovered these paper/card kits years ago - there's so much you can do with them and so much cheaper than the traditional plastic!Cool

Time's catching up fast so here we go again!BigGrin

Now, I had to make a slight alteration to the cowling on No.2 and the reason for it is shown in Photo 1. In the interests of simplicity, the designers left off most of the detail from the rear of the Le Rhone 9c engine, unfortunately, in the interests of detailing, I put it all back on again!Blink As you can see in this pic, my Le Rhone sticks out a bit further than the basic one – its only about 2mm or so but that was enough to cause some problems at this stage. No.1’s paper cowling fitted No.1 perfectly, but when I tried fitting it to No.2, - well, it didn’t!
The problem is, in the full sized aircraft the clearance between the cylinders and the cowling is only about half an inch, reduce that half an inch to a 1/33rd scale and with the paper tabs etc on the inside of the cowling, you’ve had it! If you’d like to see what happens to a Sopwith when something goes wrong with that clearance, have a look at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ApowyEXSXM Not a pretty sight but a damned good pilot!
The best solution to my problem is illustrated in Photo 2, this shows the original paper cowling cylinder, which was used to mark out an aluminium sheet version with those extra 2mm added on to the front end. This is shown slotted onto the front of the fuselage in Photo 3, note the rest of the aluminium plates have been given a coat of Humbrol Enamel Matt Varnish, although some modern reproduction Sopwiths are highly polished ‘up front’, in actual service, especially the RNAS machines, would soon be a duller oxidised finish. I also went on to create the angled ring in aluminium as well but then found the next problem with ‘real’ aluminium – nothing wants to glue it together – even super glue! In this shot the cylinder is actually stuck with super, but it came apart again later when I tried to fix the angled ring on. In the end the solution was a hybrid construction – I used the kit paper parts but then covered them with a skin of aluminium tape – the sort sold on ebay of course and used to repair ducting etc. This is paper thin and the self adhesive glue is pretty strong too. Ideally I wanted to try and form the entire cowling out of a single aluminium sheet and press it into shape. I just couldn’t get the metal to form the complex convex shape however without ‘scrunching’ up (it appears that scrunching is an actual word!)BigGrin I even bought some Poundshop aluminium foil baking trays to try forming the cowling from that to no avail – if you look at the corners of the trays in the shops they are also scrunched! Photo 4 shows the angled paper ring with its aluminium skin being glued to the paper tabs, which I’d by now glued inside the metal cowling. It’s being held in place on an aluminium tube – previously bought to try and make the cowling from as well – it turned out to be too thick to allow the ends to be curved in and was about 1.5mm too small in diameter as well to fit the fuselage. With a wrapping of masking tape to bring the outside diameter up to the cowling size however, it was just right to build the cowling on top of as seen here. Photo 5 shows the last paper inner ring having just been cut out from the page and covered with the aluminium skin tape. It now had to be cut out all over again with the No.11 blade knife and finally, using the larger sewing needle, the ring of rivets was pushed in from the back as seen in Photo 6 where the entire cowling is now glued together and placed over the engine. As you might notice in this shot, the lower wing is on! The lower wings finally went on while I was fighting with the cowling as soon as the rear plates had been matt varnished (that’s what I was waiting for) and you can see both of them in place in Photos 7 and 8. As you can also see, the Cabane struts have also been fitted on and by Photo 9, when the finished cowling had been fully varnished, they have been rigged up as well, all that is except for the front ‘X’ which you can see draped over the cowling. These will be attached to the turnbuckles which are fitted into the upper wing. The last job to take care of before the upper wing could be fitted was the pair of turnbuckle brackets, which are located just above the forward undercarriage struts. On the actual Pup, the steel bracket which bolts the undercarriage to the airframe is equipped with a welded bracket to take the main wing strut tension wires. On the authentic WW1 Pup both the main wing struts have double wires (hence the twin turnbuckles) but on repro Pups and even restored ones like the Shuttleworth these have been reduced to singles. The bracket is shown under construction in Photo 10 – a strip of plasticard with two drilled holes and a notch in the centre and a pair of brass tube turnbuckles glued in. Both brackets are shown cut to size ready for a paint with Humbrol Steel Cote in Photo 11 and finally, fitted in position in Photo 12.
With that all finished, I could finally think about fitting and rigging the upper wing – which is coming next!Cool

Until then, Happy Modelling to you All!

Robin.
PS The feeling is just coming back in my mouth after being at the “you know what” – and now the aching begins!
Plymouth57 attached the following image(s):
No 2 Cowling pic 1.JPG
No 2 Cowling pic 2.JPG
No 2 Cowling pic 3.JPG
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
ian smith
#204 Posted : 05 December 2017 23:09:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Robin.
Another fantastic update. looking superb.
IanCool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
Nytetrain
#205 Posted : 05 December 2017 23:15:33

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice looking planes there Robin. Your doing a great job with them. Very inventive with all the extra details. Hope you finish in time... tick tick tick LOL LOL .
Best Regards,
Ron

On the bench: DeAgostini '67 Ford Shelby Mustang, Hachette Space Battleship Yamato 2202, Agora Models T-800 Terminator
Finished builds: DeAgostini Toyota 2000GT
In the Stash: Losing count...
Markwarren
#206 Posted : 05 December 2017 23:20:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Great work Robin, the thing is, they don’t look like a paper card models. Cool

Mark
Plymouth57
#207 Posted : 06 December 2017 22:14:05

Thanks again to Ian, Ron and Mark, gratefully received as always!Blushing
Thanks for that Ron, I can hear that darned clock in my sleep!BigGrin A quick update - No.1 is finished, done and completed!!!BigGrin Her pitot tube and Lewis Gun went on today and that's it!Cool No.2's Lewis went on as well and all she needs now is the propellor and a diddy little propellor on a thing called a Rotherham Pump. I'm trying desperately to create an improved resin propellor as the last of the upgraded parts - if I can't do it in time I'll just make up another standard paper one and use that instead - casting very thin components in resin is not that easy!Blink
So here (tick tick) is No.2's upper wing and rigging at last! (tick tick!)Crying

The completed upper wing assembly (minus the ailerons which go on later) is shown in Photo 43. All the rigging points have now been fitted with their 0.5mm brass micro tube / copper wire turnbuckles and each one apart from the rear double and the front Cabanes have been given lengths of the Uschi Rigging Thread. The ones left without already have their threads fitted to the lower wing and cowling top. On removing the plasticard Cabane jig, the four brass rods were dead easy to fit into the upper wing plates which were first given a spot of Roket Card Glue before pushing the struts into position. With the Cabane struts all in place, the Pup looked as she appears in Photos 44 and 45, with her upper wing in just the right position, held up only by the Cabanes. I left her that way for an hour to give the card glue time to set properly (it actually sets in minutes but can come loose if prodded about too quickly afterwards). Once I was satisfied the upper wing was secure enough I began to add the main wing struts by first gluing their rods into the lower wing and a few minutes later gently manoeuvring the upper rods across and down into the corresponding holes as shown in Photo 46. This was far easier than that frustratingly difficult No.1 – I can heartily recommend the cabane jig method, the most difficult part was avoiding all those dangling rigging threads getting near the glue!Blink The lower ends of the main struts are shown in Photo 47 along with the still dangling threads and the DecraLed pulley window edging. The first piece of the rigging to be put together is the double wire which was previously glued into the lower wing and which runs to the rear main strut. This is still the most difficult of all the rigging as even though it is pre-attached, you still have to reach inside the wing span to get the ends of the threads and get them through those tiny copper wire ringbolts. It was far easier to work on these with the Pup upside down for this and eventually I ended up with the first wing looking like Photo 48. The free ends of the thread were pulled back to tension them and a drop of super glue applied down by the turnbuckle. After a few seconds the excess thread was pulled out and snipped off as close to the tube as possible. As you can see here, the double wires have been chromed, applying the chrome ink wasn’t too difficult but you need to slide a sewing needle up between the threads after applying it to prevent them sticking together if they happen to touch before its dried! After a couple of evenings I finally had all the major rigging completed as illustrated in Photo 49. The only remaining rigging is now for the ailerons once they have gone on. And this time I didn't cut through a single thread by mistake either!
In the next installment, making up No.1’s propellor (No.2’s is still ‘under development’ ((And yes, I’m cutting it fine!)) and adding the Lewis Guns to both Pups.
Until then, (as always) Happy Modelling to you All!

Robin.
No.2 Wings pic 9.JPG
No.2 Wings pic 10.JPG
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Markwarren
#208 Posted : 06 December 2017 23:56:22

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

One word , superb.BigGrin

Mark
magpie1832
#209 Posted : 08 December 2017 00:36:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Awesome work, the detail is superb.

Chris Cool
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Gibbo
#210 Posted : 08 December 2017 17:08:24

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Robin
Just caught up this build, amazing work and incredible detail and updates as always.
Regards
Paul
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
darbyvet
#211 Posted : 08 December 2017 17:41:15

Just amazing work.

Carl

Plymouth57
#212 Posted : 08 December 2017 21:16:35

Thanks again to Mark, Chris, Paul and Carl for all their wonderful comments!Blushing
Time's nearly up and although its nearly done now its the diary having to catch up with the build from now on!Blink
Ok then, tonight the Pups get their teeth!Cool

Photo 1 shows the various paper components for the basic kit propeller, not shown here (because I forgot it was a part of the construction) is a grey rectangle with two thin black lines down the middle. The construction begins with the boss which is the central part around which the blades rotate. This is shown being glued together in Photo 2 with the paper cylinder wrapped around one of the set of Leather/Paper punches I bought to punch out the tiny disks in this kit. The two ends of this disk together with the optional central nut are the only parts which are first glued to the 1mm card backing as shown in Photo 3, the rear disk has already been pushed down into the paper cylinder here, this is the easy part as it can be glued ‘in situ’ once pushed down flush with the cylinder bottom. The front disk is another matter and great care is needed to glue that one in position – you have to gently push it down into the cylinder and once flush with the top apply a little glue around the edge. If you try to put the glue around the inside of the cylinder the disk won’t slide down and if you use too much force the paper cylinder can simply fold in and collapse. The completed boss is shown in Photo 4 along with that grey lined rectangle mentioned earlier. As you can now see in this, and the following Photo 5, the rectangle is actually a tube (flat packed) which becomes the core of the propeller blades. The two thin lines mark the edges of the boss once it is inserted through the two punched out holes. I did find however that I couldn’t quite get the tube down thin enough to slide through the holes and ended up slicing off a thin strip to reduce it down a little. In Photo 6 we have the four parts of the propeller blades themselves. These are curled over a thin dowel (one of Victory’s eventual masts/spars I think) until they have that slight curve across their widths as illustrated here. Before attaching the blades to the boss and tube, the paper tube is flattened out towards the ends and also twisted in opposite directions to give the ‘airscrew’ effect. The object is to get the blades rounded at the boss and flat at the tips as, hopefully, you can see in the finished Photo 7. Here the edges of the paper blades have been touched in with Vallejo Mahogany acrylic to hide the white paper edges.
And so, on to the teeth of these Pups – the Lewis Light Machine Gun. The real thing is shown in Photo 8. This is the aircraft version which lacks the iconic ‘drainpipe’ cooling jacket of the Infantry weapon. The cooling jacket was designed to pull cold air in from the rear of the gun, expelling the hot air from the barrel-heating at the front. The trouble was, stick one in an aircraft pointing forwards and the speed of the airflow pushes the hot air backwards eventually causing jams or misfires as the breech mechanism heats up! The simple solution was to just remove the jacket exposing the barrel and let the cold air ‘up there’ do the cooling! Photo 9 shows the top of the ammunition drum. All the RFC and RNAS Lewis’ had these leather straps on the top of the drum to aid handling them to re-load the gun in combat. Notice how the strap is at right angles to the barrel – until this model’s research I’d always thought the ammunition drum rotated as the weapon fired, but it doesn’t! The carousel holding all the .303 cartridges rotates inside the drum – the drum itself is locked onto the breech! Now a resin upgrade of the Lewis was mentioned in the instruction book and although a paper version is included, as the kit designers had shown it in their finished photos I felt that was good enough for me! Photo 10 shows the resin components of the Eduard Lewis MkIII, together with the etched brass fret shown in Photo 11, the kit makes up two complete guns for about £6 or so plus p&p. There are ‘ways’ to make these even better value of course which is what I did (for personal use only of course!Blushing ) The brass fret makes up two sets of aircraft gun sights but this particular Pup appears not to have had them fitted so I’ve left them off. Photo 12 shows my pair of resin guns after a coat of thinned down Citadel Bolt Gun Metal acrylic. The bottom gun already has its handle in place and will be entirely ‘gun metal’ but No.2’s will feature a nicer brass handle section, which many of the aircraft Lewis’ had. That brown stick on the left is a length of stretched sprue painted with the Vallejo Tan Yellow and Woodgrain to cut the hand grip from and above are the two ammunition drums – on the left is the standard kit one and on the right one with the solid handle hollowed out under the strap. Photo 13 illustrates the two guns fully painted, Mahogany for the wood pistol hand grips and the gun metal washed with Citadel Skaven Brown Ink. The cartridges were painted with Humbrol Brass acrylic and given the Skaven Brown Ink wash when dry with Vallejo Red Leather for the straps.
And so the finished articles: Photos 14 and 15 show No.1’s and Photos 16 to 18 illustrates the slightly more advanced No.2. Finally in Photo 19 which I’ve added here as I had a blank space left over – the final component to finish off No.1 – her Pitot tube on the right wing leading edge. No.2’s doesn’t go here!Blink
In the next instalment, No.2’s resin propeller (yes I managed it!) And the final bits and bobs to complete her too! (Oh and the base work!)

Until then, tick, tick, Happy Modelling to you All!

Robin.
Basic Prop and Lewis Guns pic 1.JPG
Basic Prop and Lewis Guns pic 2.JPG
Basic Prop and Lewis Guns pic 3.JPG
Basic Prop and Lewis Guns pic 4.JPG
Basic Prop and Lewis Guns pic 5.JPG
Martyn Ingram
#213 Posted : 08 December 2017 21:34:16

BigGrin I can't believe this is made out of paper , certainly a brilliant build Robin , well done m8

Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
tigerace
#214 Posted : 08 December 2017 22:27:27

They are outstandingDrool Drool superb work RobinCool regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

Plymouth57
#215 Posted : 09 December 2017 22:53:31

Thanks yet again to Martyn and Phil, gratefully received as always!Blushing

Ok then, one more installment after this one to finish off No.2 and then tomorrow comes the finished build series! The full base won’t be completed however although I will give a sneak preview. I had a choice – either finish the base or complete the diary and since the diary is an integral part of the build and has to be finished before the end of tomorrow and the base was an ‘if I’ve got enough time’ add on, the choice was already made!BigGrin
So here below is the construction of No.2’s resin propeller and hard on its tail will be the final pieces coming together to complete the up-graded Pup (which I never envisaged getting this detailed!)Blink
Photo 1 shows the wooden dowel, which, at 6mm diameter is the same size as the paper boss made earlier. Instead of having that paper tube rolled up through the middle I have instead used a good old cocktail stick. What I didn’t take a photo of unfortunately was the cocktail stick sanded down to give two flat faces at right angles to each other. This was to form the same function as the paper tube flattened and twisted and in Photo 2 we have the same kit paper blades glued onto the dowel and stick. When dry I also applied a dollop of DecoArt Media Modelling Paste at the boss end of the blades to fair them into the boss. When that was dry too, I was able to sand the paste down somewhat but it remains quite grainy to the touch even after. The re-sculpted’ propeller together with a short length of dowel was then used to produce a silicon mould to try and cast a resin replica propeller. The mould is shown in Photo 3 after the second half was poured and before the master was removed (or at least most of it – the paper tips were not very co-operative!) It took a few tries before I achieved a good casting – those blades are very thin towards the tips and, thanks to that paste they were quite rough in the surface texture. This required very careful sanding down, always moving from the boss to the tips, never the opposite way as the delicate thin tips will snap off at the slightest provocation. My intention was to produce a nice cleaned up propeller, which could then be put on the lathe to hollow out the front face of the boss which is slightly sunken on the real thing, add the bolt heads and then create a second mould of the finished master. Unfortunately, time was running out fast and so I had to make a ‘one off’ instead (I can make a better master copy for a mould later on). The cast propeller is shown in Photo 4 after the rest of the dowel resin was sawn off and undergoing a test fit using a small drilled hole through the boss to slide over the engine's brass rod in Photo 5. That rod is equipped with an aluminium shaft collar to space the propeller out as illustrated in Photo 6. The resin prop was first undercoated with Poundshop grey primer and then painted in the same fashion as the wooden struts with Vallejo Yellow Tan followed with the Woodgrain. I created some tiny decals on white inkjet decal paper of the Sopwith logo which was applied to both the struts and the propeller by the Sopwith Factory – I don’t know how far down the detail goes on my old Epson printer, but the tiny dots started off as full sized logos!Blink The centre of the boss was drilled out to accept the Plastruct 0.8mm Hex Rod which was then sanded down to represent the bolt heads and a tiny piece of aluminium tube made up the central big nut as shown in Photo 7. Finally the wooden parts of the propeller were given two coats of Humbrol acrylic gloss varnish to seal everything in. The final result is shown in Photo 8. It was touch and go whether I’d get this part done or not, but I’m glad to say I’m really pleased with the result!BigGrin
Coming soon, the final instalment with No.2’s pitot tube assembly and the Rotherham Air Pump (ruddy fiddly thing!!!)
Until then Happy Modelling to you All!

Robin.
Resin Propeller pic 1.JPG
Resin Propeller pic 2.JPG
Plymouth57
#216 Posted : 10 December 2017 00:57:11

So here we are at last – the final instalment of A Pair of Pups! In this last posting we bring the vastly up-graded and time consuming Pup No.2 to completion with the addition of her air-speed probe better known as the Pitot Tube and the Rotherham Air Pump together with a couple of low tech landing devices commonly known as ‘Old Rope’!
Whilst No.1’s Pitot was simply a length of stretched sprue stuck into the wing leading edge (like a WW2 fighter in fact) No.2’s is far more complicated. Photo 1 illustrates the actual Pitot tube. This is in fact a modern reproduction used on reproduction WW1 aircraft or to replace worn out pitots on authentic ones. Although this one has tubes of the same length, some older versions have long and short tubes as well. The model version begins in Photo 2 with a piece of brass micro tube the same diameter as the wing struts squashed down in the Strutter and with another brass micro tube of 0.4mm OD which has been bent around a drill bit shaft to produce the 180 degree curve plus another ‘kink’ in the shorter tube as shown here. With the tiny tube pushed up inside the larger one the next task was to crimp it in place. Those huge crushing jaws in Photo 3 are actually my finest electrical wire cutters, used to carefully crush the main tube in between the pitot tubes as seen in this shot. Finally I used my finest micro-scissors to carefully cut open the rear of the larger tube to create the four legs which will grip the wing strut as shown in Photo 4. These are the precision scissors I bought last year to make Frederick’s ring mail – I hate to think what this is doing to the poor things! After trimming the legs to a thinner profile I then used an offcut of the flattened brass tubing to fit the legs to it, this should ensure it fits onto the wing struts later. (Photo 5) The finished Pitot Tube was then painted with Humbrol Steel Cote for the body and Humbrol Acrylic Aluminium for the tubes. After gluing the Pitot to the strut with super glue I then cut a length of copper wire to fit from behind the Pitot body to the underside of the upper wing. This represents the cable which runs from the Pitot, back through the wing framing and along to the air speed indicator instrument in the cockpit. The copper cable was fitted with a pair of DecraLed brackets as shown in Photo 6.
The last gizmo to build was the Rotherham Air Pump, an actual example of which is shown in Photo 7. If you can remember back to the cockpit building, I made a resin hand pump which was used to pump up the internal pressure inside the petrol tank to force the fuel into the engine. As I mentioned back there, that pump was only used on start up and once airborne a little air pump took over – well, this is it! The screw thread at the top connects to a copper tube or pipe which pumps the air back into the fuel tank to pressurise it, the round shaft sticking out to the right is fitted with a little miniature propeller to provide the mechanical energy to work the pump. In Photo 8 we have my version of the Rotherham, built out of aluminium tubes, plastic rod and that Plastruct Hex Rod for the nuts. The size of this thing can be judged by the razor blade alongside. Photo 9 shows the little pump with its associated brackets and propeller (with nut). It took me ages to decide how to make those brackets, there are many different designs to them but in the end the plasticard proved the easiest to work with. The propeller was another short length of the 0.4mm micro tube and although this photo doesn’t show it very well, the ends have been crimped to flatten them out and each blade is twisted 45 degrees. The pump really comes to life with a coat of paint – in this case Humbrol Aluminium acrylic for the main body with Acrylic Brass for little details and Humbrol Steel Cote for the brackets. The propeller was Vallejo Mahogany as seen in Photo 10. The Rotherham is shown in position in Photo 11, fitting the little b.. er, thing in place was almost as frustrating as No.1’s wing struts! In the end only super glue gel would keep in position long enough to set. Once again a copper wire is added together with its brackets, this time going downwards into the engine bay (getting that to stay put wasn’t much easier either!) As far as the location of the Rotherham goes, if you don’t have photographic evidence for a particular aircraft – anywhere you like! They could be fitted to any of the four Cabane struts either pointing forward like this one or backwards with the propeller reversed. Some pilots preferred to have them fitted to the undercarriage struts however, again back or front. Some other pilots liked them ‘up top’ however where they could keep an eye on them to check they were still going around and keeping their tank pressure up. Finally, those hangman’s nooses back in Photo 10. One is shown trimmed to size whilst the other is still waiting the snip. These are the external landing appliances – actually rope handles hanging off the underside of the lower wings! As the Pup swerves sideways over the ships bow, the landing party grabs hold of the handle and pulls the Pup down to the deck. These should be another four on the mid fuselage but the rigging thread was proving too difficult to glue into ‘hoops’ so I might add these afterwards possible made from twisted wire to get an authentic ‘droop’ to their shape.
So there we have it, both Pups completed on time (phew!) Tomorrow I’ll put up the finished build pics for both of them. This has been a fascinating new media for me, one I’ll definitely be returning to in the future. In the New Year, as a little side project I’ve got a mind to search through my stock of recently rediscovered Airfix Multipose and Tamiya figures to try and scratch build a 1/32 scale model of E. H. Dunning himself to place beside his aircraft. Who knows, that one might be a resin casting too!

Until tomorrow, Happy Modelling to you All!

Robin
No 2 Last bits pic 1.JPG
No 2 Last bits pic 2.JPG
Markwarren
#217 Posted : 10 December 2017 09:35:53

Stunning work Robin, I never thought a model made in this medium could look so good. Loved watching this come together.Love

Mark
tigerace
#218 Posted : 10 December 2017 12:22:47

Just incredible to watch RobinDrool Drool top workDrool Drool regards PhilCool

birdaj2
#219 Posted : 10 December 2017 12:32:59

Robin

That has been a treat to see how a peper model can be brought to such high standards of finish.

Your various updates on all of the different techniques used has been really informative - especially like that resin propeller cast in your last update - i am amazed how you managed to get the resin to fill out a small awkward shape like that without air pockets causing issue - very nicely done.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Plymouth57
#220 Posted : 10 December 2017 15:55:03

Thanks again to Mark, Phil and Tony! It was tight again but I managed to complete No.2 last evening and took all the finished shots by 10pm. That ruddy Rotherham pump nearly drove me insane trying to get the thing to attach to the cabane strut - could really do with an INSTANT instant super glue!Blink
As my silicone moulds have evolved I've gradually moved away from the true '2 part mould' in the sense that the two halves are equal. If you look at the photo of the propeller mould an installment back you'll see that one half has a deep impression, the other only a shallow one. This was unavoidable as the paper prop blades are too flimsy to push down into the plasticene base - but it also has a great advantage in casting the prop! What I do is mix up the resin and then flex the mould over a dowel opening up the left hand blade part and dribble the resin in. When the mould is released it closes up again expelling the excess resin AND any air pockets too. Then I flex the other side and dribble the resin into the right blade again expelling the air on closing up. Finally I can put the other half of the mould on top, stand it upright (lengthways) and pour the rest of the resin down the shaft to fill up the mould entirely. Since following this technique the failure rate is almost nil. If the mould was filled by simply pouring down the open shaft the tips of the blades would never receive any resin (as happened on the first attempt)
I love this resin! I'm going to try and make resin crew for the Victory next!Blink

Many thanks to All for their encouraging comments over the last year and best of luck to all the entries!

Robin.