Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages <12
Dowlking Options
Gandale
#21 Posted : 01 June 2017 08:47:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Brian, running out of planks shouldn't happen, there are more than enough supplied to complete the planking, just be careful on wastage.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
pemberg
#22 Posted : 01 June 2017 11:14:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Welcome to the forum. As Alan and Garth says, I had loads of planking left over after finishing the hull.

Graeme
Dowlking
#23 Posted : 01 June 2017 21:43:59

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hey guys, think I was counting up rows left, incorrectly. Also have a load of decent sized trimmings left over which should help.

Think lighting is going to be the four lanterns and possibly the gallery cabins

Regards,
Brian
Dowlking
#24 Posted : 08 June 2017 00:05:17

Progress is slow. working in a restaurant during school holidays will do that. Had no wastage for a week and then snapped two in the same hour! Sums up modelling pretty well in my opinion.

Regards,
Brian
Dowlking
#25 Posted : 30 August 2017 01:42:13

Sooo, Long time no see! Didn't really see the point in posting every couple of rows of planks I laid, so I waited for this glorious moment! My hull is officially completely closed up. woohoo. I found the planks extremely tedious at times so this is a huge achievement in my build. To answer some of the questions I asked myself earlier in this diary.

1. fitting only one garboard plank was the best way forward.

2. With regard to lighting, I'm going to fit strips of LEDS in the gallery space as well as under the poop deck (in the cabins behind the ships wheel). Firstly, this is for historical accuracy, but also because I have already installed the second gun deck and I really dont want to have to dismantle parts to fit lighting on the gun decks! Laziness I know but it is what it is.

Just some quick observations on the hull planking for anyone still at that stage:

1. Take care when planking around the bow that you don't leave any significant "steps" at the overlap of two planks as you'll find the structure gets a bit soft when you come to sanding the hull!!!

2. I made a mistake at the plank running to the stern in the very first row when you start planking the lower hull, (I think this is stage 31?) whereby I curved it incorrectly and now there is a corner jutting out at the edges of the transom which looks unsightly and which is causing me great consternation to try and rescue! Be careful to get a good tight twist in this particular plank and completely cover off the corner of the gallery support!

Thanks also to John, builder of HMS shambles, for his planking calculator for the last ten rows. Extremely useful tool!

Regards,
Brian

P.S. Apologies for the essay!!!!!!!
delboy271155
#26 Posted : 30 August 2017 10:16:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Good to hear you are making progress. BigGrin

Congrats on your "Blue" medal for running a diary.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

z8000783
#27 Posted : 30 August 2017 12:20:54

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Thanks Brian, glad it was of use.

So, on to rubbing down now?
Dowlking
#28 Posted : 01 September 2017 08:00:24

Hey folks,

thanks for all the replies. Progress with the sanding is going well. Have the first rub done on starboard side, will do same on port before I fill and then sand again with a finer grit.

Blessed to have a cousin who operates a woodfinishing business, great source for supplies! His friend carves sculptures in wood too, also very helpful!!!

In other news, I drew up a circuit diagram for the lighting and brought it to my Electronics professor in Uni, and he's only gone and given me a load of extra credit for it.... Don't get what you don't ask for eh?

Brian
Dowlking
#29 Posted : 21 December 2017 01:10:03

Hi Everyone,
Long time no see...

finally finished in Uni for the semester so have the baby back out of storage. If anyone has any tips on how to fix a crooked keel please get back to me

Brian
Gandale
#30 Posted : 21 December 2017 09:24:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Brian, good to hear from you again... Can you post some pics so we can see how crooked your keel is, seeing this would help us give the best possible advice....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Dowlking
#31 Posted : 24 December 2017 17:38:40

Hi,

Managed to get a fix on it. The slot I had cut was just marginally off centre towards the bow.
Just trimmed a little bit off and filled at the other side and hey presto, it's straight.

Working on my LED circuits for next few weeks to get my lighting in order before I start closing uo different parts

Happy Christmas everyone

Brian
Gandale
#32 Posted : 25 December 2017 00:12:56

Merry xmas Brian, happy to hear you all sorted again.....

Regards

Alan