Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

R2-D2 customised build page 8 Options
Markwarren
#1 Posted : 12 November 2017 16:59:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

On to the second leg. I have primed and pre-painted the parts ready for the weathering using the oils as I did with the leg in my previous posts. I still have a couple of days before some of the parts will be ready for the next step. I will also be glossing the blue metallic pieces with varnish, before scratching and rubbing down slightly to get the desired effect as before. I have also weathered the silver metal parts and attached them to the panels, again ready for the next process.
Markwarren attached the following image(s):
Photo 192.jpg
Photo 193.jpg
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 14 November 2017 22:46:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Here you can see that I have taken off the Humbrol Maskol now the paint has had time to dry to expose the metallic silver below. I have also rubbed away the Maskol to show the blue marks on the ankle piece that was applied before spaying.
The last few pictures show the blue parts after the gloss varnish has been put on. These will be rubbed down slightly with fine wet and dry sand paper to dull down the appearance in places as I did with the first leg parts, but this will now be left to harden for a couple of weeks first.

Next, I will be weathering with the oils, more soon.

Photo 194.jpg
Photo 195.jpg
Photo 196.jpg
Photo 197.jpg
Photo 198.jpg
Photo 199.jpg
Photo 200.jpg
Markwarren
#3 Posted : 10 December 2017 19:37:40

The blue panel parts have had a few weeks to harden now, so a quick gentle rub with wet/dry sand paper to matt down the gloss varnish, yet retaining the metallic look. Here you can see the before and after pictures. I have also started weathering some of the leg in readiness for the final parts of the leg.
Photo 199.jpg
Photo 201.jpg
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 07 January 2018 19:13:41

The top part of R2’s leg has been weathered. This will be allowed to dry for a week before varnishing it. Once this is done, the remainder of the leg will undergo the same treatment.
Photo 202.jpg
Photo 203.jpg
Photo 204.jpg
Photo 205.jpg
Photo 206.jpg
Markwarren
#5 Posted : 14 January 2018 22:49:38

I have now allowed the oils to dry for a week. Next, I varnished the leg pieces and will allow these to dry. The next stage is to continue to weather the remainder of the leg.
Photo 213.jpg
Photo 214.jpg
Photo 215.jpg
Photo 216.jpg
Markwarren
#6 Posted : 14 January 2018 22:51:11

The next stage was to prepare the foot section of the leg and some of the panels to the dome. The panel pieces were lightly sanded for the primer paint to adhere to. I carefully masked them and used some Humbol maskol where it was appropriate.
Photo 207.jpg
Photo 217.jpg
Markwarren
#7 Posted : 14 January 2018 22:52:33

Once the primer paint had dried, I then painted the parts silver as I have done previously.
Photo 208.jpg
Photo 209.jpg
Markwarren
#8 Posted : 14 January 2018 22:53:47

Once the silver paint was touch dry after a few hours, I then took off the masking tape around the dome panels. I will leave these to harden for several days, before preparing it for the blue translucent paint. I have taken off the masking tape as I do not want a build-up of paint on the taped area, as this will affect the painted areas.
Photo 210.jpg
Markwarren
#9 Posted : 14 January 2018 22:54:36

Here, you can see I have also masked off the dome to repaint the strip at the bottom to keep the colours consistent.
Photo 211.jpg