Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

A Yamato to Go Options
CaptnBirdseye
#1 Posted : 14 May 2011 21:19:23

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hello everyone. For those of you who might be interested, i have decided to compile a build diary of my attempt to build the Yamoto. Due to financial constraints (wife thinks any money not spent on house or handbags is a waste of money)i have decided to enroll on the 22 part build. I have noticed that other Yamato build diaries are not as comprehensive as, shall we say, other Victory build diaries, and i want to give a better idea of what any prospective Yamato builder can expect.
Therefore, my diary will be of a more 'warts 'n' all diary. If i can help anyone avoid any pitfalls, or post any hints and tips, then all the better.

To a greater extent, i will be using Tomicks build as a guide. Any comments,critisisms and observations are welcomed and,indeed, encouraged.

Now.....to begin!!!!
CaptnBirdseye
#2 Posted : 14 May 2011 21:40:16

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Part 1

While waiting for the first delivery i noticed that the history of the Yamoto was on the History channel on Sky. I taped it as i wasn't going to stay up till 3am to watch ANY programme, but it did give a fantastic insight into the ship itself and it's eventual sinking by the US Navy Airforce.

I also bought the book 'Anatomy of the Ship Yamato', which has scale plans of the boat included. Just thought they might come in handyBigGrin

First delivery arrived BigGrin Yeah! Downloaded the build instructions and cracked on!

I thought that there was something missing in the first delivery, as one of the blister packs was empty. However, after posting the question, this was cleared up by Tomick. Apparently the empty blister would have held glue, but is unsuitable for European markets

Karl? image edited just for you Flapper BigGrin LOL
File Attachment(s):
april 11 178.JPG (3,783kb) downloaded 139 time(s).
karl1113
#3 Posted : 14 May 2011 22:25:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

CaptnBirdseye hi,is it possible for you to post pics via photobucket or similar,as when I waited 30 sec. to download your pic,I was greeted with a book? now I know I can just about read joint uop lettering,but japeness is a bit strong,Crying now if we are to follow your build we would like it to jump out of the page,so we can disect and study.very hard to do when we have to download it first,btw photobucket is free and you cut and paste to forum,sooooo easy.looking forward to your build.BigGrin
Current builds: SotS, USS Consitution, San Felipe, D51 loco, HMS Surprise, RB7, Arab Dhow, Jotika HMS Victory
Completed builds: HMS Pickel, Thermopylae, Mississipi river boat, Mary Rose, Cutty Sark, San Francisco II, HMS Victory x5, Titanic Lifeboat, Panart HMS Victory Launch, Hachette Titanic, Virginia Schooner, Endeavour Longboat.

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
haggisKiller
#4 Posted : 14 May 2011 23:02:36

Groups:

Excellent book, i have an online version of it and its a really informative book.

If your going to modify it in any way then its the book for you.
CaptnBirdseye
#5 Posted : 26 May 2011 21:52:58

[b]Ok, here is what came in the first delivery. First impressions are good. I like the blister packs. Makes for much better packaging.[/b]

So, printed off the instructions, got myself a very large piece of wood to act as a baseboard, and so we begin.... [

Starting the build....with the first of 12 pages of instructions!

[b]oooh...the first parts glued together! actually, the fit is very good, with little to no trimming needed.[/b]
CaptnBirdseye
#6 Posted : 26 May 2011 22:00:22

THE HULL BigGrin

As you can see, this is a big model! The baseboard, used to keep the build flat & level is over 48 inches long and 10 inches wide.

Having the bottom of the hull secured to the buildboard makes getting the bulkheads square much easier. Most of the bulkheads have locating lugs on the bottom

WARNING-PLEASE READ CAREFULLY For those of you on the 22 month build, be careful when assembling rib 8. It should come with the first delivery, but actually doesn't! I should explain. In the first delivery instruction, you get bulkheads 7 & 8. However i got 2x rib 7. I was using the instructions printed out and didn't notice that rib 8 has no locating lugs. Unfortunately, by this time i had already glued the frame in place.

Tomick
#7 Posted : 26 May 2011 22:09:04

Groups:

Good start Cap'n Cool

I'm just about on the last lap of my build.

If you can find a copy, the Model Art 1/10 Yamato book will blow you away, text is Japanese but the photo content of the 1/10 Kure museum model is outstanding!
CaptnBirdseye
#8 Posted : 26 May 2011 22:17:59

Thanks Tom, will look out for it BigGrin There must be a copy on-line somewhere!

Having realized i had made a booboo, i posted my problem on the forum, and thanks to both Tomick & Admin, was able to re-order delivery 1.

So i started again. One tip i would pass on to others is to get the hull attached to a baseboard. It just makes getting the frames square so much easier and gives them support while the glue dries

Using the wife's new book,and other items to weigh the frames down onto the hull

Adding strengtheners...

Little worried here about the warping of the hull. As it is only very minor, i think i can get away with it. Only time will tell i guess Mellow

CaptnBirdseye
#9 Posted : 26 May 2011 22:31:46

THe build progresses...Here is a close-up of the area i am worried about

The bow is going well though....

CaptnBirdseye
#10 Posted : 26 May 2011 23:03:06

Adding the strengtheners

My solution to the stern....

That's better!! BigGrin

A bit of help was needed to get this bulkhead square

and this is where we are to-date.

All-in-all, i have really enjoyed this build to date! BigGrin
Right...when's the next delivery due!
Love
Tomick
#11 Posted : 27 May 2011 09:10:55

Groups:

CaptnBirdseye
#12 Posted : 27 May 2011 22:28:15

Thanks Mr T, also found this one too...BigGrin

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/e...clk_rvr_id=235617033182

More expensive than 'The Anatomy of' series!Drool but shipping cheaper thoughLaugh Laugh
haggisKiller
#13 Posted : 28 May 2011 17:23:59

Groups:

Looking good, pity i didnt think about taking pics of my rib construction for my build diary