Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

162 Pages «<160161162
My first ever build - SOTS Options
Gandale
#3221 Posted : 18 October 2016 23:15:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi all, finally managed to finish issue 126 and this issue turned out to be a fairly long session, mainly due to working in confined or awkward areas. Space now to work in around the ship is starting to get very cramped and it is so easy to catch or break something if care is not taken, key here is to take your time and work gently.Cool Cool

Started with the fitting of Main Royal Yard and Sail. Fitting and rigging this small sail on top of the main mast was pretty straight forward, except for when it came to attaching lines in and around the deck area. The Halyards were fitted, securing these to the yard and to cleats on the main deck. Next was the fitting of the lifts, again straight forward and securing these to the pin rack in front of the main mast. Fitting the sheets was next to be done including the fitting of blocks to the shrouds, would recommend these blocks are fitted prior to starting any of the rigging while you have the space to work in. The sheets were secured to belay pins on the bulwarks. Finally for this sail was the fitting of the braces, the braces run to the top of the mizzen mast and secured to belay pins on the quarterdeck bulwarks.

Next on the list was to fit the foresail, this was done in much the same way. Started by securing the sail to the yard, making up the parrels and securing the yard to the foremast. Halfyards were secured to the bitt in front of the mast, again very fiddly due to lack of space. Sail rigging lines were fitted in the same way as the other sails. The braces are attached to the lower mainstay, these should be secured with a drop of CA.
That concludes another issue and issue 127 gets underway… Will update again soon so until then happy modelling…Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Gandale attached the following image(s):
DSCF3579.JPG
DSCF3580.JPG
DSCF3581.JPG
DSCF3582.JPG
DSCF3583.JPG
DSCF3585.JPG
DSCF3586.JPG
DSCF3587.JPG
DSCF3588.JPG
DSCF3589.JPG
Martyn Ingram
#3222 Posted : 19 October 2016 05:24:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Lovely work Alan looking at your pictures I had forgotten how little room there is around the deck Cool one small tip don't where a wrist watch as I nearly dragged my old girl off the table when a shroud got caught Blushing

Happy building rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
scraperjawa
#3223 Posted : 19 October 2016 05:48:47

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

An amazing job you are doing with this build, Alan. You have set the standard which we will all try to achieve with our own builds. Looking forwards to more updates.

Stephen
Current Builds: HMS Sovereign of the Seas /// Lamborghini Countach /// Eaglemoss BTTF DeLorean

Finished Builds: Millennium Falcon

Gandale
#3224 Posted : 19 October 2016 18:17:25

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Thanks Martyn, Stephen. Appreciate those kind words as always....Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Nemesis
#3225 Posted : 19 October 2016 18:18:47

That is a stunning bit of workmanship Alan, not much else I can say!Drool Love BigGrin
Gandale
#3226 Posted : 19 October 2016 19:37:34

Nemesis wrote:
That is a stunning bit of workmanship Alan, not much else I can say!Drool Love BigGrin

Thanks Nem, thanks for looking in and for the kind comments, appreciated... Cool Cool .. I do wish though I had your skills in plastic, one I'll try a plastic build....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
darbyvet
#3227 Posted : 19 October 2016 20:38:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

This would not look out of place in a museum.it is a truly remarkable model.

Carl

Gandale
#3228 Posted : 19 October 2016 21:42:19

darbyvet wrote:
This would not look out of place in a museum.it is a truly remarkable model.

Carl

Thanks Carl, very high praise indeed.... Very much appreciated.. Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
pemberg
#3229 Posted : 19 October 2016 22:10:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Superb job Alan, she certainly looks fantastic.
Graeme
birdaj2
#3230 Posted : 19 October 2016 22:28:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Alan

A fantastic build diary and a beautiful model you have put together - it looks absolute perfection.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Whitesd
#3231 Posted : 20 October 2016 07:58:08

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Alan,

I must admit I have been following you diary for quite some time and found it most enjoyable and it's helped me tremendously. Your ratlines are absolutely stunningLove Love and when I get to that stage if mine are half as good as yours I'll be happy.Drool Drool
Regards
Steve

Present Build: San Fransisco II, 1/32 Lancaster Bomber

Subscribed to: Sovereign of the Seas

Completed: La Toulonnaise, Harvey
Gandale
#3232 Posted : 20 October 2016 18:03:56

Thanks everyone for looking in, very much appreciated.....Cool Cool

Steve, those ratlines took an age with every knot hand tied... was almost brain dead by the time I finished but think the effort was well worth it..... Take your time with it, do it in stages and am sure yours will turn out great.....Cool Cool .. Have been following your build too and think you're doing a fab job.... well done.....Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
ian smith
#3233 Posted : 21 October 2016 12:03:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Alan.
Looking Fantastic. I prefer the rat lines hand tied. look forward to seeing more Ian. Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
tigerace
#3234 Posted : 21 October 2016 12:09:49

Really is an outstanding build AlanDrool Drool regards PhilThumpUp ThumpUp Love Love
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

Mo
#3235 Posted : 24 October 2016 22:28:30

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

. Looking good as always.

Mo.
Mo
Gandale
#3236 Posted : 24 October 2016 22:39:33

Thanks guys for looking in, appreciated....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Nige
#3237 Posted : 06 November 2016 06:42:37

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Having quite literally stumbled upon your build log some two years ago I have been an avid follower. The care and precision you have demonstrated in the building of this ship and the thoroughness of your build log for others to follow is outstanding.

It is of no surprise to me you have been awarded the yellow medal for an outstanding model so a hearty congratulations Alan. I think your SOTS would be a worthy exhibit at any venue.

I am sure that I'm not the only one who has been inspired by what you have achieved into starting a build of their own.

Thank you so very much.
Kindest regards Nige

Building: Sovereign Of The Seas Reading About Everyone Elses Builds[/b]

Enjoy Making

Nige
Gandale
#3238 Posted : 06 November 2016 21:39:05

Nige wrote:
Having quite literally stumbled upon your build log some two years ago I have been an avid follower. The care and precision you have demonstrated in the building of this ship and the thoroughness of your build log for others to follow is outstanding.

It is of no surprise to me you have been awarded the yellow medal for an outstanding model so a hearty congratulations Alan. I think your SOTS would be a worthy exhibit at any venue.

I am sure that I'm not the only one who has been inspired by what you have achieved into starting a build of their own.

Thank you so very much.
Kindest regards Nige

Thank you very much for those very kind words Nige. The inspiration I get is down to people like yourself who have followed my build and its diary and from there have taken the plunge to try this build for themselves. Excellent results are possible for all through the simple process of taking their time and following the instructions as laid out. Once experience is gained then they can start to change and modify builds to their own personal taste... If I can motivate people to take on this remarkable hobby then my aim has been achieved and of course, I will assist wheneve I can......

Thanks again Nige, appreciate your comments very much....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
DARIVS
#3239 Posted : 21 January 2018 22:58:30

Hello Gandale,

I am in the middle of gathering research info on building the DeAgostino Sovereign of the Seas. My early career was as a 2nd Engineering Officer on merchant ships, and tall ships have been a love of mine since I was a small boy. Seawater still flows through my veins. I'm saving the money to purchase this fine kit, which will be my first plank on frame model. The level of extra detail in your build is such an inspiration that I will endeavor to walk in your footsteps and use the same fine additions and details which you have made. All I can say to you is BRAVO! I truly appreciate your build because like yourself, I am a very detail oriented individual and building this ship model is the manifestation of a long held dream. Thanks you so much for providing the guidance that goes so far beyond the instruction booklets that it should be included in the box!

Best regards,

Kurt Suleski in Minnesota
Gandale
#3240 Posted : 22 January 2018 00:26:28

DARIVS wrote:
Hello Gandale,

I am in the middle of gathering research info on building the DeAgostino Sovereign of the Seas. My early career was as a 2nd Engineering Officer on merchant ships, and tall ships have been a love of mine since I was a small boy. Seawater still flows through my veins. I'm saving the money to purchase this fine kit, which will be my first plank on frame model. The level of extra detail in your build is such an inspiration that I will endeavor to walk in your footsteps and use the same fine additions and details which you have made. All I can say to you is BRAVO! I truly appreciate your build because like yourself, I am a very detail oriented individual and building this ship model is the manifestation of a long held dream. Thanks you so much for providing the guidance that goes so far beyond the instruction booklets that it should be included in the box!

Best regards,

Kurt Suleski in Minnesota

Hi Kurt,

I can only but thank you for those very kind comments and it pleases me no end to hear my build has given you some inspiration to purchase and construct this wonderful model. She is a challenging but absolute joy to build and with the detailed step by step instructions, together with the build diaries on this forum then I'm sure you'll enjoy the experience of building her one day. Remember too, I'll be hear to assist should you need it and I do hope you'll produce a build diary to let us follow your own progress..Cool Cool .. Thanks again for the kind comments and good luck with your new venture......

Best regards

Alan