Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

R2-D2 customised build page 9 Options
Markwarren
#1 Posted : 21 January 2018 17:34:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Here you can see I have painted the dome strip silver. This was left for several days to dry.
Markwarren attached the following image(s):
Photo 221.jpg
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 21 January 2018 17:34:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

After painting R2’s foot silver, I then masked off the silver areas and brushed some Maskol around where I want these parts to look chipped. This will then be painted white as I did with the previous leg.
Photo 218.jpg
Photo 219.jpg
Markwarren
#3 Posted : 21 January 2018 17:35:47

Now the silver paint has had a week to harden, I then re-masked these panel parts ready for the next paint stage.
The second picture shows the purple translucent paint being applied. This will be allowed to dry for an hour before being painted blue.
Photo 220.jpg
Photo 222.jpg
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 21 January 2018 17:36:51

Here are the final pictures of the painted blue panel parts and the dome strip. The paint when varnished looks lighter than the parts already weathered, but these will darken once it’s had a week to dry and a light sand down with wet/dry sandpaper.
Photo 223.jpg
Photo 224.jpg
Photo 225.jpg
Markwarren
#5 Posted : 29 January 2018 22:44:33

I have now placed the inner panel parts to the dome as shown here.
Photo 226.jpg
Photo 227.jpg
Markwarren
#6 Posted : 29 January 2018 22:45:50

I have also painted the top section of the foot and allowed to dry, taking off the Maskol to expose the silver elements.
The last picture shows the added side pieces to the leg section. The underside will now be weathered and varnished to match the rest, before the inner metal panels and motor is assembled.

More soon.
Photo 228.jpg
Photo 229.jpg
Photo 230.jpg
Markwarren
#7 Posted : 18 February 2018 17:28:00

I have now finished weathering the lower part of the leg section and allowed to dry before varnishing. This allows me to start fitting all the wiring and parts together as shown. Now this has been done, I can start weathering the foot parts as I did with the last leg. These are held in place with tape and not screwed in, so once dry I can take them apart to varnish. The last few pictures show the two legs side by side as a comparison to make sure both their colouring and their weathered look are consistent.
More soon.

Photo 231.jpg
Photo 232.jpg
Photo 233.jpg
Photo 234.jpg
Photo 235.jpg
Photo 236.jpg
Photo 237.jpg
Photo 238.jpg
Photo 239.jpg
Photo 240.jpg