Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Missing Steps - Victory Cross Section Options
Spellbot5000
#1 Posted : 21 February 2018 08:53:53

Groups: Registered

I noticed in the PDF instructions for the Victory Cross section that there are a few missing steps for completing the first section of inner hull planking.

In the PDF manual, in Stage 8 it dives directly into fitting the riders. I noticed it mentioned sanding a small gap in the ends of the riders to accommodate the double planking just under the lowest deck supports. The last construction step in the manual though left a gap in the planking under the deck supports, which hadn't been filled yet.

I check the official build diary, and you can see at the beginning of Issue 128 that Tomick goes into detail about filling this gap and adding a second support plank over it, a step missing from the PDF manual. And I'm not sure if it's another error, but it says this plank directly under the deck supports is a 2mm plank, but the rest of the planking next to it is 1.5mm. The pics in the Youtube build diary make it look like a 1.5mm plank though, since it sits flush with the plank next to it. Is this the case, or is it really supposed to be a 2mm plank?

Just thought I'd bring this up in case it hadn't been spotted before.
greyhawk
#2 Posted : 21 February 2018 19:11:22

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I can confirm there's a step missing in the redone manual.

The section at the start of stage 8 about finishing up the inner planking of the hold has disappeared from the new guide.

This one (only have the German version from the original run)
Gandale
#3 Posted : 21 February 2018 22:16:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Thanks for highlighting this. I can now confirm the information outlined in the Official Forum Build, Issue 128 is in fact correct, you need to use the 2 x 5mm planks and not the 1.5mm x 5mm planks.

Action is now being taken to insert the missing section of instructions 'Completing the Hold Planking' (photo's 1-5 plus text) into the PDF instructions for Stage 8 of the download.

Regards

Alan
gingerale75
#4 Posted : 06 November 2019 22:33:12

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Alan or other experts who made this build already,

Sorry to open up the topic again, just want to clarify as I’m here with my build.
So the last two strips need to be 2x5mm (instead of 1.5) and as an addition, there will be another 1mm strip half overlapping on top of the upper 2x5 strip and half protruding between the support brackets. It means that there are two steps regarding the total plank thickness (1.5 —> 2.0 —> 3.0) instead of one (1.5 —> 2.5).
Is that right?
If so, then when fitting the riders (Stage 8, page 29-30):
- Type 13, Step 4-5, it need to sand two recesses to accomodate the two steps?
- Type 14, Step 11, it need to reach the bottom of the 1mm plank, so need to sand only one recess to accomodate the 2mm plank? This not mentioned in the corrected guide.
Are my assumptions correct?

Thanks and sorry. Blushing
Happy building!
Laszlo

Finished builds: HMS Victory, HMS Victory Cross-Section
gingerale75
#5 Posted : 06 November 2019 22:38:29

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

gingerale75 wrote:
Hi Alan or other experts who made this build already,

Sorry to open up the topic again, just want to clarify as I’m here with my build.
So the last two strips need to be 2x5mm (instead of 1.5) and as an addition, there will be another 1mm strip half overlapping on top of the upper 2x5 strip and half protruding between the support brackets. It means that there are two steps regarding the total plank thickness (1.5 —> 2.0 —> 3.0) instead of one (1.5 —> 2.5).
Is that right?
If so, then when fitting the riders (Stage 8, page 29-30):
- Type 13, Step 4-5, it need to sand two recesses to accomodate the two steps?
- Type 14, Step 11, it need to reach the bottom of the 1mm plank, so need to sand only one recess to accomodate the 2mm plank? This not mentioned in the corrected guide.
Are my assumptions correct?

Thanks and sorry. Blushing

Sorry, I just had a look on the official build diary, although the text doesn’t mention but the photos confirm that my assumption were correct.
Cool Cool
Thanks and sorry.... again... BigGrin Blushing
Happy building!
Laszlo

Finished builds: HMS Victory, HMS Victory Cross-Section