Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Tips on removing shine on tires? Options
Fhan
#1 Posted : 25 February 2018 18:08:08

Groups: Registered

Hello,

I just after many years of covering this model was able to afford the subscription. Now as the parts are arriving I’ve spent a lot of time looking at all the diaries for tips which there are many great ones! The only I didn’t see in detail was what the best way was to remove the shine and the mold seam from the tire. I assume sanding was a good option but wasn’t sure about the proper technique or grit sandpaper. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 25 February 2018 22:02:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi

I bought a mixed set of wet and dry paper from a car accessories/paint store grit 250 to 1200 and using the roughest grit 1st worked my way through to the smoother grit to get a good finish.

You can see my tyres by scrolling down to post #60 here:-

http://forum.model-space...sts&t=15033&p=3

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

roymattblack
#3 Posted : 25 February 2018 22:06:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

I use the roughest I can find, even down to 80 grit.
Then up to about 600 to finish.
Be prepared for a LOT of mess and very black hands.
arpurchase
#4 Posted : 25 February 2018 22:37:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin We are talking racing slicks here so a gentler approach is needed and take care around the edges so not to scuff the tyre wallsCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

roymattblack
#5 Posted : 26 February 2018 09:46:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

On my Pocher Ducati I used serious rough grade, then finer.
The tyres were as hard as nails with a horrible seam around the middle of the tread.
They needed very tough work.
Tomick
#6 Posted : 26 February 2018 11:13:59

Groups:

roymattblack wrote:
On my Pocher Ducati I used serious rough grade, then finer.
The tyres were as hard as nails with a horrible seam around the middle of the tread.
They needed very tough work.
Can’t be that rough with the F1 tyres as they are more delicate and have side wall logos to avoid.
Fhan
#7 Posted : 27 February 2018 08:00:12

Thanks everybody. This is a great start