Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

mars curiosity rover Options
darbyvet
#1 Posted : 11 June 2017 16:28:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I found a 3d model of the Mars curiosity rover so I figured I would see what it looks like.

I printed the body with my Raise 3d N2. The one piece print is about 7 inches by 4 inches wide and it took 15 hours to print at 0.1mm.The finished piece is really nice.It will need some light sanding before painting but the level of detail is amazing.I have printed the wheels and some of the equipment.I figure it will take aobut 40 hours to print the whole Rover, but then I will have a nice sized Rover to build.

Carl

PS

here is a link to the 3d files.There are free download and there is a small and large version of the rover.I printed the large version

https://nasa3d.arc.nasa....il/mars-rover-curiosity

darbyvet attached the following image(s):
rover1.jpg
rover2.jpg
birdaj2
#2 Posted : 11 June 2017 18:53:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Certainly some very nice quality results with your new printer.

This looks really very good.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
stevegbr
#3 Posted : 11 June 2017 19:15:06

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

looks brilliant, love all the detail.
Metal Mech
#4 Posted : 11 June 2017 20:09:58

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hey Carl, looks good. I been thinking of investing in a printer so I can make my own mods for some of the large scale kits I build. Also for some of the scratch build stuff I want to do in the future. I am curious about how to go about designing parts. Also curious if there is a way to do 3D scans of parts on a hobbies level.

Oh and looking good. Can't wait to see the finished model.

Have you heard of Megabots MKIII? I have a set of 3D print files for a miniature of the concept design. I can send them to you if your interested in giving it a try.

DeAgostini kit builds:

Millennium Falcon: 18% Complete
Shelby GT-500: 28% Complete
Thunderbird 2: 13.75% Complete
darbyvet
#5 Posted : 11 June 2017 23:12:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Joel,
3d printing is a lot of fun.There are thousands of designs on websites like thingiverse as a starting point for your own design. Learning to design in 3d isnt that difficult.There are tons of youtube tutorials that explain the concepts are there are some free 3d design programs that are pretty good.
some of the better programs are pretty pricey.Rhinocerous 5 is one of the better one, but the license is $900. My son is an engineer and he uses Katia, but that is about $5000 for a license.

I use 123design which is freeware.It has recently been abandoned by the designer
but you cant still find downloadable versions and there are lots of youtube videos explaining how to use it.That is the program that I use mainly becuase it is simple.It cant do everything so sometimes I jump into Rhino for more complex designs.

as far as 3d scanners go the technology isnt there yet.From what I have read there 3d scanners are not very accurate and they produce 3d models that are not "watertight". Watertight means printable by a 3d printer.The problem is that the scanners cant get all of the surface of the object right so there are holes in the scan it produces which confuses the slicing programs that are used to generate the 3d print file.In some cases software can repair the model for you,but in most cases you have to manually go through the scan to spot the problems which takes forever.

I have not heard about megabots?

Carl

Metal Mech
#6 Posted : 12 June 2017 00:34:02

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

https://www.megabots.com

Check it out. This is a real thing.

DeAgostini kit builds:

Millennium Falcon: 18% Complete
Shelby GT-500: 28% Complete
Thunderbird 2: 13.75% Complete
MicroBus
#7 Posted : 27 February 2018 10:49:22

darbyvet wrote:
Hi Joel,

as far as 3d scanners go the technology isnt there yet.From what I have read there 3d scanners are not very accurate and they produce 3d models that are not "watertight". Watertight means printable by a 3d printer.The problem is that the scanners cant get all of the surface of the object right so there are holes in the scan it produces which confuses the slicing programs that are used to generate the 3d print file.In some cases software can repair the model for you,but in most cases you have to manually go through the scan to spot the problems which takes forever.

Well, for cheap scanners this is true. But professional scanners with good resolution can scan complex surfaces accurate enough. For example, this carburetor was scanned with Space Spider handheld scanner. As you can see all this complex shape is provided very accurate. The other thing is that the price of such scanners is too high for a hobbyist...