Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Australian Grand Prix 2018 Options
ModelMania
#1 Posted : 23 March 2018 12:03:04

Groups:

So, the new season is waking up in Australia and I think it'll be a very interesting season (still hate those 'Halo' devices). It looks like Mercedes are on their game already, with Ferrari seemingly losing a little ground to them. Red Bull are looking to be equal to if not better than Ferrari and could be Mercedes' main rival with Verstappen outshining Ricciardo already judging by what I've seen in the 1st and 2nd practice sessions.

Despite their poor showing in pre-season testing McLaren seem to be going well now with the new Renault engine and look set to move further towards the front of the grid than they've been in quite a few years. I think Alonso will have a good chance of getting back on the podium this year - as a lifelong McLaren fan I really hope so!

My prediction for the race:

1st - Hamilton
2nd - Verstappen
3rd - Bottas

I'm going to stick my neck out and put Alonso in 6th or 7th. Cool ThumpUp

What is your prediction?

Kev Smile

Tomick
#2 Posted : 23 March 2018 12:48:25

Groups:

Totally agree, the 'halo' has instantly made F1 cars look unattractive and rapidly heading towards being closed cockpit if they continue down this route.
Motorsport is a dangerous and partly why it commands mega millions in pay cheques is it not. What's next - wrap the driver in bubblewrap?

Think Australia will be a Hamilton win but with Ferrari making him work hard for it and it could well be a Ferrari season this tie round.

ModelMania
#3 Posted : 23 March 2018 17:04:11

Groups:

Yeah, think you're right Tom, definitely heading towards the 'Fighter' style closed canopy, though I'd still prefer that to the halo monstrosity! Watching the practice sessions, there was nothing for the viewer to see of the track ahead as the bloomin' halo was taking up two thirds of the screen with the selected camera angle. What a complete lash-up and not many of the drivers have anything nice to say about it either?!

Not sure about Ferrari winning the season. Mercedes won't make it easy for them and then there will be Red Bull taking points off of Ferrari too, so could be difficult for them? Looks like it will be an interesting and exciting season though?

As long as McLaren do better this year I'll be happy. Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile

Tomick
#4 Posted : 25 March 2018 18:33:19

Groups:

Looks like Ferrari pulled a blinder over McLaren Laugh LOL
ModelMania
#5 Posted : 25 March 2018 19:56:55

Groups:

Tomick wrote:
Looks like Ferrari pulled a blinder over McLaren Laugh LOL

Well they were always going to beat McLaren? Huh I think you mean Mercedes Tom and yes they did but you have to admit it had a lot to do with Vettel getting lucky after the Haas debacle and not something they could have foreseen or planned in their pre-race strategy? Vettel was a trailing third to Raikonnen before that and I suspect Kimi is wondering what he has to do to get the better of Vettel after outpacing him in quali and outracing him up until that big dollop of luck landed in Vettel's lap?

Never mind, onwards and upwards, it's a long 21 race season and what goes around comes around, so I'm sure Vettel will get some bad luck somewhere to even it all out. Have to say though that I was very disappointed with Hamilton who seemed to be sitting in his car for way too long after the race and having a massive sulk! He does that quite often and a bit immature I think. Not a big fan of his because of his tantrums other than he is a British driver. Glare BigGrin

Pleased that Alonso did well although he too benefited from a bit of luck due to Haas's problems. A good race though and it's great to have the season underway once again. Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile

Tomick
#6 Posted : 25 March 2018 20:03:34

Groups:

Like I said previously, I think Ferrari are going to be on McLaren’s case this year and we could well see Vettel take the crown with Ferrari
ModelMania
#7 Posted : 25 March 2018 20:13:27

Groups:

Tomick wrote:
Like I said previously, I think Ferrari are going to be on McLaren’s case this year and we could well see Vettel take the crown with Ferrari

Yeah, looks like you could be right Tom, though again I think you mean Mercedes, not McLaren? Disappointed with Verstappen as well today, think he was definitely overdriving his Red Bull and making far too many mistakes, which makes me wonder if that's a sign that Red Bull aren't as close to Ferrari as was suspected, although Ricciardo was pushing Raikkonen hard at the end? Pretty cool that Alonso managed to keep Verstappen behind him for most of the race which bodes well for the McLaren/Renault partnership going forward? Seems like McLaren were right to dump the Honda engine after Gasly's engine let go in the very first race - that leaves him just two more to last another 20 races. Bet Alonso was loving that!! Blink Laugh LOL

Kev Smile

Tomick
#8 Posted : 25 March 2018 21:16:17

Groups:

Just making sure your awake Kev...McLaren have a not so secret weapon.. the halo...and Hamilton will likely move back to McLaren for 2019 Laugh LOL
ModelMania
#9 Posted : 25 March 2018 22:24:59

Groups:

Haha!! Laugh LOL

Yeah, I wonder how long before the other teams start fitting halos that are identical to McLarens?! BigGrin

Actually, although I seem to remember Hamilton intimating a while back that he would probably see out his career at Mercedes, I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that, if McLaren can pull themselves back to the front of the grid, he may well go back there in the twilight of his career if for no other reason than to help the team that helped him make it into Formula One in the first place as a last thankyou? Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
arpurchase
#10 Posted : 26 March 2018 08:26:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Lots more races to go before the fat lady singsCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .