Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Has anyone compared the part work to the Elite series kit 22910 Options
Joetapping
#1 Posted : 08 May 2017 02:31:04

Groups: Registered

I am working through the part work SotS after building H.M.S. Victory from an Elite series kit. I thought the quality of the full kit better than the materials supplied in the part work. I am wondering if anyone has compared the H.M.S Surprise kit before i go out and buy it.

I would appreciate any feedback.
Current Build SotS
Completed Builds H.M.S. Victory
Tomick
#2 Posted : 08 May 2017 07:20:52

Groups:

HMS Surprise has never been released as a Partwork as such. The content of the monthly offering is the same as that provided in the retail version and it's instruction content the same.
The ModelSpace HMS Victory is a far better offering than its retail equivalent., for starters it is much closer to accuracy, has a full compliment of Ships boats, has crew figures and the option for a gundeck cutaway, let alone the instructions being far superior and more informative to the point that a novice could take on what is a complex period ship build.
Silent_Running
#3 Posted : 31 March 2018 14:14:17

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Joetapping wrote:
I am working through the part work SotS after building H.M.S. Victory from an Elite series kit. I thought the quality of the full kit better than the materials supplied in the part work. I am wondering if anyone has compared the H.M.S Surprise kit before i go out and buy it.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Hi Joetapping,

If you read the product in depth portion of the description for HMS Surprise you will see this statement, and I quote:

"Artesania Latina worked together with the National Maritime Museum of London to create this model and has the exclusive copyright worldwide."

In answer to your question, I don't think you could ask for a more accurate model in terms of pedigree, also the quality of the materials are top drawer, with walnut, Lime-wood and other quality woods, plus expert castings.

There is also the large scale of this model to consider, at 1:48 scale she's massive and this scale allows every detail to be reproduced in exquisite quality.

Hope this helps BigGrin
jase
#4 Posted : 31 March 2018 16:04:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The only issue that appears to be repeatedly discussed with AL Surprise kits is the figurehead casting not being very good, otherwise from what I have seen the kit is outstanding and if taking it in instalments helps spread the cost why not go with that

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain