Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Paints used on the Vasa Official Build Options
Gandale
#1 Posted : 02 March 2018 14:50:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

This post will contain details of all paints used on the Vasa Official Build. The list will be updated with new paints used as each pack is published. You are of course free to use the paints of your choice on your own builds.

RAL 1001 - Vallejo Model Color Beige 847 (1001)
RAL 1004 - Tamiya Golden Yellow XF3 (Substitute for 1004)
RAL 1013 - Vallejo Model Color Beige 917 (Substitute for 1013)
RAL 1023 - Game Color Gold Yellow 007 (Substitute for 1023)
RAL 3001 - Vallejo Signal Red 908 (Substitute for 3001)
RAL 3003 - Game Color Scarlet Red 012 (Substitute for 3003)
RAL 3005 - Vallejo Model Color Red 926 (Substitute for 3005)
RAL 3015 - Game Color Rosy Flesh 100 (Substitute for 3015)
RAL 3016 - Admiralty Red Ocre (Substitute for 3016)
RAL 3020 - Vallejo Model Color Vermillion (3020)
RAL 5002 - Game Color Ultramarine Blue 022 (Substitute for 5002)
RAL 5010 - Admiralty French Blue (Substitute for 5010)
RAL 5011 - Tamiya Metallic Grey XF56 (Substitute for 5011)
RAL 5013 - Vallejo Model Color Blue 925 (Substitute for 5013)
RAL 5024 - Vallejo Model Color Pastel Blue 901 (5024)
RAL 6026 - Vallejo Model Color Deep Green 970 (Substitute for 6026)
RAL 6029 - Vallejo Model Color Intermediate Green 891 (Substitute for 6029)
RAL 7016 - Vallejo Model Color Dark Bluegrey 867 (Substitute for 7016)
RAL 8001 - Vallejo Model Color Ochre Brown 856 (Substitute for 8001)
RAL 8004 - Vallejo Model Color Red Leather 818 (Substitute for 8004)
RAL 8008 - Vallejo Model Color Flat Earth 983 (Substitute for 8008)
RAL 9002 - Vallejo Model Color Light Grey 990 (Substitute for 9002)
RAL 9004 - Vallejo Black 950 (Substitute for 9004)
RAL 9007 - Vallejo Model Color Light Sea Grey 973 (Substitute for 9007
RAL 9011 - Admiralty Dull Black (Substitute for 9011)
RAL 9016 - Vellejo White 951 (9016)

No RAL Code - Vallejo Liquid Gold
No RAL Code - Tamiya Bronze X-33
No RAL Code - Vallejo Model Color Flat Flesh 955 (No RAL Code)

Vallejo Primer
Admiralty Walnut Wood Stain
Burnishing/Blackening Fluid - see here: https://forum.model-spac...spx?g=posts&t=27014

Regards

Alan
Gandale
#2 Posted : 24 April 2018 16:56:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Paint list has now been updated to show all paints that will be used up to the end of pack 7.

Regards

Alan
jase
#3 Posted : 24 April 2018 21:25:45

Groups: Registered

Its a hefty old list of paints, nice of you to do the donkey work saving us all heaps of time

Big thanks

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Gandale
#4 Posted : 24 April 2018 22:40:32

jase wrote:
Its a hefty old list of paints, nice of you to do the donkey work saving us all heaps of time

Big thanks

Jase

Always happy to help... due to the amount of paints being used thought it would be beneficial to put this together. More to come as instructions become available.....

Regards

Alan
Per Ca
#5 Posted : 09 June 2018 13:07:29

I have now collected a good number of metal parts, about 270, and will start to paint them soon. I was glad to find this very useable list, although none of the makers are available in my neighborhood. So I rely a lot on Humbrol (but only a few have RAL equals) and for those less used I try to mix the nuance myself, since some colours are used on very few items, like 1004, 7016 and 9007 with only 1 item each. At least so far, up to stage 104.

But I have a question: should it be matt, satin (semi-matt) or even gloss? I guess I must use matt paints, but could use some varnish if necessary.

And by the way, not much will be added to the list in the future, maybe 3-4 colours, and two of them are for the hull/bottom hull.
Gandale
#6 Posted : 09 June 2018 13:24:57

There are many paint conversion charts online you can use to match equivalent manufacturers colours to the RAL codes, simply google paint conversion charts.

Paints I choose tend to be matt and most of time if varnish is required I will use matt again, sometimes satin.

Regards

Alan
Snoepert
#7 Posted : 21 September 2018 10:31:21

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Gandale,
I am about to embark onto the building of the Vasa now I am able to purchase the kit from England direct.
I saw the original Vasa in Sweden in 2012 and was so taken by the size and beaty of this vessel I had to do this build.
I am currently stocking up on all items to assist in the build but I am finding it hard to purchase the paints per your paint list in Australia and wondered if you could give me some idea where I could buy this down under or give me the link to buy the paints from De Agostini UK.
Thanks in advance ,
Eddie
Gandale
#8 Posted : 21 September 2018 23:01:10

Snoepert wrote:
Hi Gandale,
I am about to embark onto the building of the Vasa now I am able to purchase the kit from England direct.
I saw the original Vasa in Sweden in 2012 and was so taken by the size and beaty of this vessel I had to do this build.
I am currently stocking up on all items to assist in the build but I am finding it hard to purchase the paints per your paint list in Australia and wondered if you could give me some idea where I could buy this down under or give me the link to buy the paints from De Agostini UK.
Thanks in advance ,
Eddie

Hi Eddie, great to hear you have decided to take on the Vasa, she is indeed a beautiful ship and am sure you'll enjoy the challenge of putting her together. I just hope we will get the chance to follow your progress on the forum in the form of a build diary. Will be here to try and give you any assistance you need on your new venture....Drool Drool

As for your paints question, I cannot say for certain who in Australia would be able to supply you with all the paints you will need but can offer some advice which hopefully you will find useful.

If you use the Forum's search function and search for Paints Australia you will come up with a list of posts where this kind of question has appeared in the past from members in you neck of the woods. Think its worth having a look.

I have found a couple of links that may also prove to be useful, links to Australian model suppliers:

https://www.bnamodelworld.com

https://www.rcworld.com....ies/paints-brushes.html

You can also do a google search for model paint conversion charts, these can give the equivalent brands for a multitude of colours which may help to find the common paint brands that are available in your area.

There is also the trusted Ebay and Amazon sites, searches on these may also prove to be fruitful. These will also bring up some UK suppliers however, am not sure how it would be for shipping costs etc.

Hopefully you'll find some of these ideas useful however, if you're still struggling the let me know......Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

Wagalolo
#9 Posted : 08 August 2019 13:07:47

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

Per Ca wrote:
So I rely a lot on Humbrol (but only a few have RAL equals) and for those less used I try to mix the nuance myself, since some colours are used on very few items, like 1004, 7016 and 9007 with only 1 item each. At least so far, up to stage 104.

The latest Humbrol Enamel Paint and Conversion Charts, published in January 2018 have lots of RAL codes, but it is not complete. I have made my own Conversion Chart based on the information given by the producer. It has Revell, Vallejo, AK Real Colors, Humbrol and Mission Models Paint. It is by far complete, but can be viewed here: RAL Conversion Chart

Regards

Freddy H
Gandale
#10 Posted : 08 August 2019 22:17:48

Welcome to the forum Freddy, great to have you aboard. Hope you enjoy your time with us....Cool Cool

Am sure some members will find your link useful, thank for sharing.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan