Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Print bed Options
nmbrown
#1 Posted : 13 May 2018 18:11:35

Groups: Registered

Can anyone give me fool-proof instructions on how to level the print bed correctly.

I have tried so many times to get this correctly set up with the instructions in the magazine...and still cannot print anything that starts close the the X0, Y0 co-ordinates...the PLA will not stick and just gathers up against the head and then will dump an huge glob of PLA+ when it starts to adhere to the tac board further along the X-axis.

Printing small objects towards the centre of the print bed seem to print ok...but larger prints...just will not start printing correctly and I'm getting seriously fed up with it...why couldn't it have been built with a self levelling print bed?
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 13 May 2018 18:42:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi nmbrown

Sorry your having trouble but this is how I set mine up. Follow the instructions for set up until you get to the bed setup.

Raise the bed until it as about 2/3mm from the nozzle then manually place the head over the front left corner of the bed. Place a business card on the bed then raise it by 1mm then use the knurled nuts to raise the bed up to the nozzle until you can just move the business card.

Repeat this for the three other corners and check the bed centre and middle sides in the same way.

That should set it up for printing.

It may also pay you to use a high temp thread lock on the thread on top of the head and around the nozzle this will prevent any leakage and blobs.

Andy
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

nmbrown
#3 Posted : 13 May 2018 18:56:38

Thanks for you reply, what thickness business card...since I have a few that are different thicknesses...this is why I asked for fool-proof instructions.

Also the nozzle temp is set to 220C for the PLA+ material I am using to print. I think that the blobs are just the material that has been bunching up against the print head due to it not settling on the print bed.
arpurchase
#4 Posted : 13 May 2018 18:58:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Use one around half a mil or medium thickness
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

nmbrown
#5 Posted : 13 May 2018 19:09:20

Now I need to try and find something to measure the thickness of the business cards I have...I think DeAgostini should have put one in the kit to measure the gap properly since it is important!
arpurchase
#6 Posted : 13 May 2018 19:32:04

So use a plastic store card or credit card to do the job there all the same thickness.

nmbrown
#7 Posted : 13 May 2018 20:34:27

Nope...didn’t work...still not laying anything on the print bed :(
darbyvet
#8 Posted : 13 May 2018 20:38:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

when you manually extrude the filament does it come out properly? Maybe your print head is clogged.Are you using a raft for printing.That will help bed adhesion.

arpurchase
#9 Posted : 13 May 2018 20:39:36

Then you will need to start from scratch and check every part of the build to see that it is correct and then do the set up from start to finish. what you are looking for is a 0.5 mm gap between the nozzle tip and bed.

nmbrown
#10 Posted : 13 May 2018 20:41:05

darbyvet wrote:
when you manually extrude the filament does it come out properly? Maybe your print head is clogged.Are you using a raft for printing.That will help bed adhesion.

Yeah the filament it coming out properly and is not clogged.
nmbrown
#11 Posted : 13 May 2018 20:49:44

arpurchase wrote:
Then you will need to start from scratch and check every part of the build to see that it is correct and then do the set up from start to finish. what you are looking for is a 0.5 mm gap between the nozzle tip and bed.

The build is correct...it’s this stupid fine tuning .5mm judgement that is arbitrary and dependant on using a business card...if it was so important then it should have been supplied with the build so it can be set correctly.
nmbrown
#12 Posted : 13 May 2018 20:58:20

Giving up on it for now...going to put on a new Tak board on tomorrow and try again...if it still doesn’t print then i’ll Be asking DeAgostini for a replacement.

Fed up of wasting filament and Tak board at this rate...
arpurchase
#13 Posted : 13 May 2018 21:07:47

Your build may be correct but if you can not follow the instructions to set it up in the prescribed manner then something is wrong somewhere. The use of a business card is a suggestion as everyone has a local taxi firm card or its like which is ideal to aid set up.

On Page 292 of the Pack 11 instruction book in the 'Hint' bubble it says:-

If you cannot get the distance between the table and the nozzle level across the table surface using the adjustment available from operating the knurled nuts, it may be that something went wrong during assembly. The most likely place is when you added the table to the housing in Stage 47. Go back and check that the procedure was undertaken correctly.

Could you recheck this part of the assembly and then recalibrate the table.

arpurchase
#14 Posted : 13 May 2018 21:23:50

Why are you using filament if your setting the bed to nozzle height as per the set up instructions. Following the set up instructions from start to finish is paramount and then printing can commence.

What is the size of the large item you are trying to print as the printer has a set volume of ' Maximum build volume: 150mm x 130mm x 100mm (6"x5"x4") ' anything larger than this will not print.

nmbrown
#15 Posted : 13 May 2018 21:59:07

arpurchase wrote:
Why are you using filament if your setting the bed to nozzle height as per the set up instructions. Following the set up instructions from start to finish is paramount and then printing can commence.

What is the size of the large item you are trying to print as the printer has a set volume of ' Maximum build volume: 150mm x 130mm x 100mm (6"x5"x4") ' anything larger than this will not print.

How am I suppose do to print if I’m not using filament?

I have followed the instructions to the letter...and have been trying a few test prints.

I am not trying to print anything larger than the printable area you ny means. Small objects that print near to the centre of the table are ok...it’s the larger objects that start closer to the edge at the 0,0 co ordinates that do not start correctly.
arpurchase
#16 Posted : 13 May 2018 22:32:47

If it prints in the middle and not at the edges that means the bed has not been set up correctly by following the set up instructions and is not flat across its total area.

The bed must be recalibrated as per the set up instructions before any printing takes place any attempt at printing will just waste filament.

If as you say the instructions have been followed to the letter and you are having problems with printing in certain areas that is either a set up or assembly problem.

Recheck the assembly of the print bed and then do a full set up of the printer as per the instructions.

nmbrown
#17 Posted : 14 May 2018 16:06:53

arpurchase wrote:
If it prints in the middle and not at the edges that means the bed has not been set up correctly by following the set up instructions and is not flat across its total area.

The bed must be recalibrated as per the set up instructions before any printing takes place any attempt at printing will just waste filament.

If as you say the instructions have been followed to the letter and you are having problems with printing in certain areas that is either a set up or assembly problem.

Recheck the assembly of the print bed and then do a full set up of the printer as per the instructions.

I removed the print bed assembly from the printer and rebuilt it from scratch.

Will reinstall it this evening and recalibrate the printer to see if this makes a difference.