Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Bjorn Landstrom - The Royal Warship VASA Options
Gandale
#1 Posted : 31 March 2018 13:54:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Mr postman was really good to me today with the delivery of this Bjorn Landstrom's much sought after book on the Vasa. A book that can go for silly money and on reflection am very happy with the price I paid. Its a great book on the building and embellishment, the rigging and armaments of the Vasa. Some really impressive artwork can be found inside this publication and this together with Fred Hocker's Vol 1 means I now have an excellent library on the stunning ship. Great book for those that wish to enhance their own builds even further.... I'm one happy chappy....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
Gandale attached the following image(s):
DSCF4753.JPG
DSCF4756.JPG
DSCF4758.JPG
DSCF4757.JPG
DSCF4751.JPG
Dave
#2 Posted : 02 April 2018 14:52:25

Groups: Registered

I also managed to buy a copy of this book at a "reasonable" price.
I totally agree that the illustrations are stunning, and will be a great help with modelling Vasa. The only obvious problem is that the colour scheme shown (gilded carvings against a blue background) has, as we now know, been proved to be inaccurate. This however in no way detracts from the quality of the artwork. The drawings showing the building of the ship are particularly interesting.
In the excellent Swedish Warship Vasa forum Fred Hocker is critical about the historical accuracy of some of the text.
Landstrom quotes the theory that was popular at that time that the Vasa was altered during her build, from a single gun-deck design, on the instructions of the King. Apparently recent research has proved that the Vasa was in fact built as she was originally intended, without major alterations of this nature.
Tomick
#3 Posted : 02 April 2018 18:09:01

Groups:

Landstrom worked with the woman who was responsible for documenting the ship in the 1960’s and 70’s, ‘Eva Marie Stolt’, and spent a year crawling around in the ship before starting the paintings. The illustrations of the ship under construction are particularly good, and accurate for the most part. The color scheme he used was based on what the museum thought at the time, before the paint remains had been documented and analyzed which he can’t be blamed for.

The book text is another matter. Landstrom was an excellent observer and artist, but he was not an historian. He is one of those responsible for the myth that the king altered the specifications of the ship after construction started, and some of what he says about the history of the ship either cannot be substantiated or does not tally with the evidence.

On balance, the Landstrom book is an excellent source for model builders who want to know how the ship is constructed.

Hocker is planning to include a number of the the Landstrom illustrations in his forthcoming Vasa Il book which is indication of how good he thinks the illustrations are.
arek
#4 Posted : 25 May 2018 19:58:34

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

It looks like an "must have" book for meDrool Love

But the price......Crying Crying
85£ on Amazon Blink doesn't sound like a "reasonable"

Regards,
Arek

Gandale
#5 Posted : 25 May 2018 22:42:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Arek, for anyone who is really serious about everything to do with Vasa then this book is well worth having. The artwork contained inside is for me, a sight to behold and full of detail... As for the price, yes its pricey but I think its worth every penny. Others of course may not agree.....Cool Cool .. I'm also eagerly awaiting Fred Hocker's Vol II to be published, I'll buy it even though it will contain a lot of the artwork from Bjorn's book and I don't think that will be cheap either.........

Regards

Alan
arek
#6 Posted : 25 May 2018 23:22:56

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I will probably get this book sooner or later.
In the meantime, I have a plan for the weekend break in Stockholm later this year.Cool Cool
I should get plenty of inspiration from Vasa museum thenBigGrin BigGrin

Regards,
Arek
arpurchase
#7 Posted : 25 May 2018 23:40:09

BigGrin Hi Arek

There is also another book out there called the Vasa 1. If your interested in the vasa 1 book it's still available at oxbow books for £40, doing a search may get you a second hand one cheaper. This is also a good reference but with more line drawings rather than colour pics and is also a history and political guide of the time, the upcoming Vasa 2 book in the series is reputed to have a good few of the landstrom pictures in it.

Link below,

https://www.oxbowbooks.com/oxbow/vasa-i.html

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#8 Posted : 26 May 2018 00:03:51

arek wrote:
In the meantime, I have a plan for the weekend break in Stockholm later this year.Cool Cool

Regards,
Arek

Oh, you lucky boy.... Would love to visit but alas its unlikely to ever happen..... Hope you take and share lots of pics of the visit and hope it happens soon.....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
arek
#9 Posted : 26 May 2018 07:40:45

Gandale wrote:
arek wrote:

Regards,
Arek

Oh, you lucky boy.... Would love to visit but alas its unlikely to ever happen..... Hope you take and share lots of pics of the visit and hope it happens soon.....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan

Certainly will share photo or two. Wink Wink

My wife once lived in Stockholm for some time and when I told her about the Vasa museum, she actually offered a short trip.Cool
I'm going soon to Poland for two weeks, but I should visit Vasa before the end of summer anyway.Drool Drool

Regards,
Arek