Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

19 Pages «<171819
Magpie 1832's Surprise Build. Options
magpie1832
#361 Posted : 07 June 2016 18:26:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi Barry,
You are correct. I filed mine down as I was copying the jotika HMS Surprise prototype. It's slightly different to the version you are doing.
Your doing a great job on the planking as it is. Well done mate.
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Gandale
#362 Posted : 07 June 2016 23:13:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

She's looking good Barry, you're doing a great job with the planking...

Regards

Alan
BarryM
#363 Posted : 13 June 2016 20:11:38

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

magpie1832 wrote:
Hi All,
Here is the bow Gunport. It is further forward than the Instructions say.. It is in-line with the prototype Gunport.It was quite tricky as the front is solid and I will have to use a dummy cannon.

Chris.

Hi Chris,

Getting ready to mark out the gun ports but a little confused...it looks like your ports stay in line with the curvature of the deck which I think is the correct position for them....i.e. the bottom of the port is parallel with the deck and not parallel with the waterline..am I correct?

Thanks,

Barry
There's no time like the present.....
Gibbo
#364 Posted : 13 June 2016 20:38:37

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Chris
Nice job on the planking, looking forward to seeing more.
Regards
Paul
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
magpie1832
#365 Posted : 13 June 2016 20:45:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Barry.
Yeah the gunports follow line of the deck . Measure down from inside then mark it on the outside. That will give you your deck line the work out the height from that to the port.
Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

ian smith
#366 Posted : 05 June 2017 22:37:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Chris.
Fantast planking, looks the business. Ian Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
Garth
#367 Posted : 07 June 2017 06:03:31

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Chris,
Well done on your planking job. I love the clean, crisp lines.
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
DaDokta
#368 Posted : 07 June 2017 06:15:38

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice planking!
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
Jasseji
#369 Posted : 06 June 2018 10:44:25

Hello Magpie, i am looking at your build, perfect work here.

Do i see right, you used different Gratings on the Gun deck as those from the kit ? (or just resized those which come with the model)?

I am waiting now for delivery of my set and i have already looked at the original instructions - i didnt like how they describe the cannon rigging, especially the lack of rear tackles and the main tacks spanned to eyebolts

The original Unite reported problems reloading the Long Guns propably because of the Gratings getting in the way so one of my thoughts would be to change them for Carronades
magpie1832
#370 Posted : 06 June 2018 18:01:58

Thanks for your nice comments. And welcome to the forum.

I based my build on some of the unite plans I had and the Jotika Version which was very similar.

My gratings were the original ones from the kit but shaped, cut and placed where the unite had them.

On the main deck I will be using a carronade at the front where I haven't placed a cannon as that's where the Jotika version placed theirs. But haven't managed to get hold of one in the right scale.

Hope you enjoy your build and post up your build log for us to see.

If there's anything you need to know just ask.

Cheers
Chris
On the bench

Matelot one
#371 Posted : 07 June 2018 19:35:19

I think I am going to get the Caldercraft 24pdr carronade Kit (25mm) for mine, I did get a Amati version, which was good but I could not drill holes in the metal chair to put the rings on as it just ruined my drill bits!! Anyway when are we going to see some progress?? how far down is it on your list of other models to do??BigGrin
________________________________________________________________________________________

Built Mare Nostrum
Google Photo Album
Matelot (ˈmætləʊ) , Matlo or Matlow
noun
(Nautical Terms) slang chiefly Brit - a sailor

magpie1832
#372 Posted : 09 June 2018 00:16:19

Hi Matelot,

I will get hold of them carronades too as need 2 for mine.

I would love to get back on to her but have got a couple needing finishing first. I haven't figured out which way I'm going with the rigging, I was sort of hoping that by now Jotika/Caldercraft had released their Surprise so I could copy the rigging But they haven't 5 years on from me doing mine.

If I could get plenty of good quality pics of the prototype version they have, then I would be able to do some sort of rigging. Otherwise it will be rigged the A/L way

Chris
On the bench

Matelot one
#373 Posted : 09 June 2018 23:29:59

Have you read "Anatomy of the ship - The Frigate HMS Diana" That has some good and detailed diagrams of the rigging (and lots more) for the period frigate and it's mentioned on the jotika site.
________________________________________________________________________________________

Built Mare Nostrum
Google Photo Album
Matelot (ˈmætləʊ) , Matlo or Matlow
noun
(Nautical Terms) slang chiefly Brit - a sailor

magpie1832
#374 Posted : 09 June 2018 23:32:39

Hi Matelot,

Thanks I will have a look at that one. I do have a few rigging books, cant remember the names will look in the morning and post.

Cheers
Chris
On the bench

magpie1832
#375 Posted : 10 June 2018 11:38:30

Hi Matelot

The books I have are,
The masting and Rigging of English Ships of War 1625-1860 - James Lees
Rigging Period Ship Models - Lennarth Peterson

I looked for the Anatomy of Diana. Its quite hard to get and some places want silly money.

Chris
On the bench