Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Big problem with my launch Options
RobT
#1 Posted : 20 June 2018 17:28:18

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Has anyone had any issues with the gunwales for the smaller launch not being long enough?

I dont know if I've made some terrible error, but I've made the smaller launch up as per the instructions. I put the smaller of the gunwales on and left them to dry, but when I put the stern gunwale on, it didnt reach the aft gunwales. There's a good 6-8mm gap between the 2. I cant possibly see where I've gone wrong.

Has anyone else come across this problem?
Martyn Ingram
#2 Posted : 20 June 2018 18:48:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Confused Hi is there any chance of posting some pictures of the problem as 6to8mm seams quite a lot.
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
magpie1832
#3 Posted : 20 June 2018 19:07:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Rob,
Please could you post up some pictures of your launch so I can see if i can help in any way.
I didn't have a problem with mine. Yes the size is very tight from front to back but fits ok so 6 - 8mm is way out.

I can further assist you when you have posted up some pivtures.

Many thanks Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

RobT
#4 Posted : 20 June 2018 19:13:53

Thanks guys. Here's a pic. Excuse the state of it, I've been pulling it about a bit so it needs some finishing lol. Anyway, the gap is actually 5mm. I've placed the stern gunwale level with the stern. I'm using the smaller gunwale and have definitely built the smaller launch, but you can see that anyway.i can see from this pic that the gunwale doesn’t seem to extend as far as the ones in the official build.

Thanks for your help BigGrin
magpie1832
#5 Posted : 20 June 2018 20:03:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hiya Rob,

Looking at it, it looks like the front section of the whale is to far forward. On my picture below, the blue line is where yous is the red where mine is.. The rear section is spot on as it stops in the same position as mine.

Can you do a side on view of the whole of the launch and one from above again but showing all of the launch.

Chris
magpie1832 attached the following image(s):
DSC_0012.JPG
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

magpie1832
#6 Posted : 20 June 2018 20:32:38

Hi Rob,
Can you also measure the length of the front gunwhale to see if the size is correct.

Many thanks Chris
On the bench

RobT
#7 Posted : 20 June 2018 20:34:12

Cheers Chris. Unfortunately mate I jumped the gun and removed the gunwhale as I wanted to get it off before it set too hard. Bloody thing broke getting it off so is now beggared. I can try to repair it or just get another one from Modelspace. Looking at your picture, I think it was too far forward.

I hate launches with a passion Cursing I just find them the most tricky annoying things to do and its the one time when I really hate modelling. Hopefully if I order a replacement from Modelspace, it wont take too long to get here.

Thanks for your help.

The size of the whale from the front notch to the rear is 81mm.
magpie1832
#8 Posted : 21 June 2018 07:37:34

Hi Rob,

The small launch gunwhale is 85mm long from the tip (83mm from notch) and the large is 100mm long (98mm from notch). I can't understand why your was 81mm.

You need to test fit, check and check again before glueing, that way you don't need to pull it apart if incorrect. Hopefully you get it sorted soon.

Chris
On the bench