Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

9 Pages «<789
Hanomag SS100 mit Vergeltungswaffe 2 und seinem Meillerwagen und Brennstand Options
jase
#161 Posted : 12 July 2018 22:57:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Now at the point of weathering the Hannomag I need to consider the story of the vehicle. The kit has for distant parts which all have a different story and so a different level of weathering.

The A4/V2 rocket needs almost no weathering as they are used not long after building.
the launch stand I imagine is regularly repainted after a few uses so some weathering of the flame deflector and not much else
the trailer used several times but won't be an old piece of equipment some parts see a lot of contact with people other parts nothing, some weathering required
The Hanomag SS100, that could have been in service for some time perhaps being reassigned from the front line or an artillery unit, it could be an aged asset and it sees lots of contact with people, so needs the most weathering.

I dont always know where the weathering is going to take me so I set up to have all possibilities to hand so I have what I need as my thoughts unfold during the process.

I thought it was worth sharing what I pulled together for this task

First a collection of brushes in different sizes for washes, chipping, clear coating and dryprushing.

Assorted thinners, enamel and acrylic turpentine for tube oil paint the small bottle has white spirit for manipulating washes the large dropper bottle distilled water for thinning ready thinned paint and a puppet for ensuring no contamination.

I keep a selection of empty bottles to hand so I can keep a particular paint or was mix if I run out of time before finishing, the large open bottle is filled with water and used for dip cleaning brushes to ensure they don't clog while in use, the scoop will have white spirit in it for the same purpose but for oil based paint.

pallet used for decanting and mixing paint, I keep a bag of mixing balls and always ad one to new paint when first opened, much better than a paint stirrer. I use the paint stirrers if I have any heavy settlements to shift the wide end is great for scraping pastels. the cotton buds for controlling runs etc. the white cards are used for checking paint shading for effectiveness the tissues is used for quick brush drying, removing paint from brushes for dry brushing and emergency mop up!!LOL

I have pulled together a selection of tube paint that I may need, as well as other paints that agin I may need or I know I have to use such as the black and yellow for the convoy triangle.

I have two options for matt varnish I will test both and decide which gives the finish I prefer for this job.

I have the full range of Tamiya panel line accent, these have applicator brushes in the lid, effectively a pre mixed wash they do save time.

I am a big fan of the Vallejo metal color range, the chrome is great for mirrors etc and the burnt iron makes for a good worn metal finish.

I have an ever growing collection of washes and filters, I selected the likely candidates.

I have a small selection of pastels and weathering powder, the sponge and worn brushes are only used for applying powder never for paint.

The humble pencil is great for metabolising detail such as worn footplates.

so we are ready to add some depth to the final model.

Jase
File Attachment(s):
IMG_3935.JPG (288kb) downloaded 21 time(s).
jase attached the following image(s):
IMG_3936.JPG
IMG_3938.JPG
IMG_3939.JPG
IMG_3940.JPG
IMG_3941.JPG
IMG_3942.JPG
IMG_3943.JPG
IMG_3944.JPG
IMG_3945.JPG
IMG_3947.JPG
IMG_3948.JPG
IMG_3949.JPG
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
jase
#162 Posted : 12 July 2018 23:00:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

IMG_3950.JPG
IMG_3951.JPG
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
jase
#163 Posted : 14 July 2018 15:59:10

weathering of the Hanomag starts with a black panel line was applied to the radiator and wheel rims. I then applied a brown filter to the hole thing. A brown pin wash was then applied to some ares such as the girl foot plates.
Chrome paint was used for the wing mirrors additional lamps and heal lamp lenses as well as the rear reflectors. the forward doors can then be fixed in place.

The kit comes with either clear lenses or black out covers, I went with clear lenses. the width markers had their tops painted white at this point.

My next task was rust chipping, this was done by mixing grey and rust paint, 4 drops grey to 2 drops rust. The chipping was done with focus on heavy we are areas but also to give an all over worn look. the tyres were given a wash of dust.

The second round of chipping was done with just dark grey paint.

Finally I used a mix of pastels to Ade muck grime and try and calm down the starkness of the chipping

Jase
IMG_3953.JPG
IMG_3954.JPG
IMG_3955.JPG
IMG_3956.JPG
IMG_3958.JPG
IMG_3959.JPG
IMG_3960.JPG
IMG_3961.JPG
IMG_3962.JPG
IMG_3963.JPG
IMG_3964.JPG
IMG_3965.JPG
IMG_3966.JPG
IMG_3967.JPG
IMG_3982.JPG
IMG_3983.JPG
IMG_3984.JPG
IMG_3986.JPG
IMG_3987.JPG
IMG_3989.JPG
IMG_3990.JPG
IMG_3992.JPG
IMG_3993.JPG
IMG_3994.JPG
-Mark Twain
tigerace
#164 Posted : 14 July 2018 17:03:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great work Jase the V2 looks awesome and the painting on the vehicle is going greatBigGrin regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

jase
#165 Posted : 15 July 2018 17:20:26

Thanks Phil for looking in - nearly doneCool
-Mark Twain
Tomick
#166 Posted : 15 July 2018 18:48:54

Groups:

Should look very impressive once it all comes together, well done Cool
jase
#167 Posted : 15 July 2018 21:25:57

Painting the trailer starts with priming in the same way as the rest of the kit. The two top coats are the same late war green that I used on the rocket launch stand.

Jase
IMG_3663.JPG
IMG_3669.JPG
IMG_3670.JPG
IMG_3673.JPG
IMG_3674.JPG
IMG_3675.JPG
IMG_3678.JPG
IMG_3679.JPG
-Mark Twain
jase
#168 Posted : 16 July 2018 22:24:52

Just like the Hanomag I started with a black pin wash for the wheels and suspension.

The hydraulic rams were painted chrome and then a pin wash in umbral oil stain.

the whole thing was then given a wash of burnt umber and black mix. the rungs were given a dust of orange and brown pastel to look a bit like fresh rust.

I then applied a black pastel applied with a sponge to the surfaces to add variation to the green paint.

The wheels and some parts I imagined would get kick up from the wheels with dust wash.

I used the same prices for chipping starting with a rust grey mix then a pale grey

The wood platforms were given a black pin wash to bring out the texture followed by a dust of pale grey pastel with a brush then a mix of brown and grey pastel was applied by a sponge to simulate a warn look and the dust of boots.

finally a HB pencil was used to metallise rungs and Handels

That completes the buildBigGrin Cool

Jase

IMG_3876.JPG
IMG_3887.JPG
IMG_3888.JPG
IMG_3889.JPG
IMG_3909.JPG
IMG_3908.JPG
IMG_3912.JPG
IMG_3913.JPG
IMG_3914.JPG
IMG_4001.JPG
IMG_4002.JPG
IMG_4003.JPG
IMG_4004.JPG
IMG_4005.JPG
IMG_4007.JPG
IMG_4008.JPG
IMG_4009.JPG
IMG_4011.JPG
IMG_4010.JPG
-Mark Twain
arpurchase
#169 Posted : 17 July 2018 07:23:28

BigGrin Looking goodCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

tigerace
#170 Posted : 17 July 2018 13:58:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

It has been a privalige to watch you build this kit Jase Drool outstanding buildLove regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

jase
#171 Posted : 17 July 2018 19:10:04

Thank you both enjoyed every moment of this build

I hear rumos of the Famo launch vehicle being relesed and a tanker too 😎

Just negotiating its display place now. Must book that afternoon tea for the mrs 😬
-Mark Twain