Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Staining the model at what point Options
Lord-Obsidian
#1 Posted : 30 July 2018 21:45:13

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hello all together,

I've started planking the hull and want all the colors done with stain. At points where planks change colors, this will be almost impossible if they are glued already. Has anybody done this before and got a hint for how to proceed best?

The lower hull and ribs are supposed to be in teak, yellow in yellow an the dark planks in a nut tone. The inside I would like to have in oak. So I can't stain when parts are in place because the stain soaks all neighbouring parts...

Greets

Daniel
Lord-Obsidian
#2 Posted : 30 July 2018 21:49:11

Oh and are the planks made of lime wood? I kind of need some extras BigGrin
Gandale
#3 Posted : 30 July 2018 23:08:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Dan

To obtain the colour scheme purely through the use of wood stains or dyes is not going to be possible simply because you cannot control where the stain will go. Stain will soak into the wood and leach into areas you don't want it to go and masking the areas off will not work. Best way of achieving the colour scheme is through the use of acrylic paints and there is a set that has been produced specially for the Victory.....

https://www.model-space....nt-set-hms-victory.html

The wooden strips provided in the Victory kit is actually birch and not lime wood...

Regards

Alan
Lord-Obsidian
#4 Posted : 31 July 2018 06:18:34

Thanks, Alan!

I think I'll paint it differently from the original tone.
Can I use any kind of acrylic paint?

Dan
Gandale
#5 Posted : 31 July 2018 08:16:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Lord-Obsidian wrote:
Thanks, Alan!

I think I'll paint it differently from the original tone.
Can I use any kind of acrylic paint?

Dan

Hi Dan,its a personal choice, you can use any kind of acrylic paint you wish but I would suggest you do some test samples first to make sure you're happy with the results. The Admiralty paints were specifically designed for model ship builds...

Regards

Alan