Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Powering the electronics, couple of questions Options
x_dfo
#1 Posted : 08 July 2018 00:25:27

Groups: Registered

Hi all!
I'm currently at about issue 60 on the Falcon build.
I'm just starting to wire up the electronics and I had a couple of questions for those of you who have completed their builds with lights:

I don't plan on using the ramp electronics, or lighting the 'lounge'. The only lights I am planning on are the engine running lights, the cockpit and the turret pits.

1) Do I need the external socket or can I run the whole thing on batteries? I was hoping on putting filler in the socket hole and detailing the blast impacts where it is currently.

2) How hard is it to change the batteries from the pack as it is setup in the instructions? It appears like the rounded tunnel bit with the magnets holding the roof on is the access point?

3) I've noticed the electronics board seems prone to failure, has anyone whipped up a replacement ie: raspberry pi etc ?

Thanks all!
D
tschwand
#2 Posted : 08 July 2018 03:54:06

x_dfo It runs fine with just batteries. Especially if not using the ramp. Don't know how long the batteries will last but likely for awhile. Took me about 5 minutes to remove the batteries on mine. Only did it once.

In a related note, does anyone know if you need batteries installed to run it off the plug? When I removed the batteries and plugged it into the wall with the official adaptor, I got nothing. Not sure if its bad, have a loose wire, or it needs batteries installed at all times. Did not want to leave them in all the time. Thanks
x_dfo
#3 Posted : 08 July 2018 04:03:40

Thanks! Appreciate the info.
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 08 July 2018 11:00:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

You don’t need any batteries if you are running it from the power supply. I would check the cables, however are you pressing the “on” switch first as this also operates the power supply.

Mark
tschwand
#5 Posted : 09 July 2018 03:59:03

Markwarren, yes on the on switch. OK must be a loose connection or bad power supply. Thanks. Will try to check it later.
1000Droids
#6 Posted : 24 July 2018 18:51:59

Hey Mark, I was in the group that received faulty LED strips for the Sub-Light engines. I am concerned with the LED strips coming loose once they are buried in the Falcon. Can I use a drop of Super Glue to hold them in place? Or will this ruin the backing of the strip and cause it to stop working?
The faulty set has fallen off of the brackets while I waited for replacements.
Granted I did remove them to flip the one side for the more even placement fix.
Markwarren
#7 Posted : 24 July 2018 20:25:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Hi
When applying the LED-strip, first clean the surface and remove any residue greace of the surface. You can also lightly sand paper the surface making sure it is clean and dry before applying the lighting strip. I myself used a small amount of super glue in parts to hold in place, particularly the ends. I also did the same for the lighting strip in the ramp area.
Hope that helps

Mark
pnh810
#8 Posted : 03 August 2018 22:15:56

Hi Everyone, I seem to be having an issue with my electronics board and I can't seem to figure the issue out. Everything works in terms of powering all the lights but the ramp light seems to be reversed.
Once I turn the falcon on the ramp light turns on as well and when I lower the ramp the light turns off. I have tried several things to see if I can reverse the pattern but nothing seems to work. Could it be that the board is faulty? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks