Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Obsi's Build Options
Lord-Obsidian
#1 Posted : 05 August 2018 18:33:40

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hello everyone,

my name is Daniel from Germany and I am new to modelling and wanted to start with the victory as there is supposed to be a very good manual to what you have to do and (as I already found out) a nice community willing to help and interested in what one is doing.

I decided to start a diary on this one, because some of you asked for one and gave the hint it might be a good idea for a beginner to have some professionals keep track on what one is doing. I have read a lot of scary posts where little mistakes lead to big problems. I hope to avoid that.

I immagined the cross-section was easier I started with that one (see diary in that forum) and wanted to finish it first, but due to long waiting time while planking I started the full ship as well :o)

I do have the magazines which I will use as primary source of manual but also have a look at official diary, the YouTube channel as well as diarys from fellow builders. At this point I would like (again) to point out, that the magazines are well written and an enrichment for the building process (real good work by DeAgostini!).

So for now I started with stages 1-20 and differed just a little bid from the manual. Since I had all packages at hand I completet the keel elements first (it thought it would be easier to get it straight that way compared to add the last parts when frame no. 12 - the first one - is glued to it).

At this point I had to start differnt tasks because a lot of frames were totally bend, I had to contact CS twice to send me new ones, 7 years in storage has left it's trace.

I wanted to keep the anchor, the longboat the 12 pound canon and the carronade for later and do as many as possible together so they would be almost identical and I woud be faster. Since I'm still on wait for the frames I started all those tasks.

The canon was quite easy and fun to build, I will leave all those parts at a natural look (I like the dark wood) but I'm not sure what to do with the ship, yet. At first I wanted it completely stained but everybody here told me not to do so, so I will stain only the lower hull but don't know yet what to do with the upper part.

The anchor was quite fun, too. Although I'm not done yet, staining and vanishing everything takes a little while.

So now comes some tricky part where I'm hoping for some help :o)

I am with the longboat right now and I'm not sure how many layers of planking are supposed to be added. In the magazine it sais two full layers. Online it sais only one and only the first plank is double. I want to stain the longboat as well, that's not important for the layers I guess, but what is right?

In addition to the canon, I yesterday build the carronade... not. so. much. fun. For starters I bought all the tools I found helpful from posts from here, I do have an archimedean drill. There was no chance to get through the brass with it. First the collets are no good, the drill wobles all the time and even with a Dremel I couldn't get trough. With all the heavy machinery in the picture and a milling piece for the dremel I finally made it, but it took me hours.

I suppose I do have some cheap drills (came as a set). Can you recommend drills for the metal parts?

Well that is it for so far, hope to show up soon with some progress :o)
Lord-Obsidian attached the following image(s):
IMAG0931_thumb.jpg
IMAG0924_thumb.jpg
IMAG0927_thumb.jpg
IMAG0929_thumb.jpg
Lord-Obsidian
#2 Posted : 05 August 2018 18:39:17

What is wrong with the pictures? Is it just me or doesn't the page show all pictures and every time I refresh even different ones??
Gandale
#3 Posted : 05 August 2018 22:34:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Daniel, great to see you've started a build diary on the Victory too, I for one will be following your progress and look forward to seeing your build come together....

As for the launch, single plank with double plank at the top. Follow the information on the Official build and you should be good.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
arpurchase
#4 Posted : 06 August 2018 07:07:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nice start and looking goodCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Markwarren
#5 Posted : 06 August 2018 08:36:02

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Looking very good.ThumpUp

Mark
z8000783
#6 Posted : 06 August 2018 11:38:36

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Hi Daniel, nice to see you in the group.

TBH and depending on your experience, if I were doing the build again I would defer making the launch until much later especially after I have planked the main part of the ship.

BTW, there are problems with images here, it is not you but there is a new forum coming along soon which should solve the problem.
delboy271155
#7 Posted : 06 August 2018 14:39:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Good to see your build. Keep it up.

Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Lord-Obsidian
#8 Posted : 08 August 2018 19:26:03

z8000783 wrote:
Hi Daniel, nice to see you in the group.

TBH and depending on your experience, if I were doing the build again I would defer making the launch until much later especially after I have planked the main part of the ship.

BTW, there are problems with images here, it is not you but there is a new forum coming along soon which should solve the problem.

That would have been a good idea I suppose. Thanks mate. I have started the launch before I asked the question, so now I'll have to finish it I guess.

During my waiting time I decided to build a dry-dock an set in the whole keel and the frames which I have. Due to some horrorstories I read I wanted to check before gluing if everything is straight. It isn't.

First some frames go lower than the keel and I put the keel on spacers. Neither one helps to avoid those changes in height of the deck supports (some are either to high or to low) I just read a post where this lead to some serious problems not only for the decks but also for dents in the hull.

What would you do? Raise the ones which are to low with the keel set on spacers by putting some pieces of leftover planking of the launche between the keel and the frame. Or lower the ones to high by sanding a little bit off? Or contact CS about that issue and ask for new parts?

In another picture one can see, that the outside parts of the frames are from different charges in produktion, they are slighty thicker than the inner part of the frame (sorry I don't know the words in english) - also you can peek through the connection part of 20b and 20. I do have this with every other frame. Is this going to be a problem during the build? I have not seen this on any pictures of other builds.

I'm quite concerned this is going to ruin my build in a later stage...
Lord-Obsidian attached the following image(s):
IMAG0937_thumb.jpg
IMAG0938_thumb.jpg
IMAG0940_thumb.jpg
Gandale
#9 Posted : 08 August 2018 19:56:04

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Daniel,

With the frames you need to ensure your frames are set flush with the top of the keel, they also need to be level and square. Small adjustments of the frame slots will help you achieve this either with small fillers or sanding down a little.

From what I can see the outside of your frames all look fine to me, any adjustments needed here will be carried out during the faring stage.

Hope this helps...

Regards

Alan

arpurchase
#10 Posted : 09 August 2018 07:01:27

BigGrin I agree with Alan getting all the frames the same height along the keel is the way to go hereCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

z8000783
#11 Posted : 09 August 2018 08:08:41

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Hi Daniel.

Remember that these supports will be used for the lower and middle gun decks which will eventually be hidden. Although these part are said to be 'laser cut', you will find they will be many discrepancies as you progress especially when you come to the fairing. The key from now until the planking is finished, is to make sure the keel remains straight and there are no other warps or misplaced ribs. Be especially careful to ensure that the stern ribs are seated properly.