Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages «<4567>
William's Build Options
delboy271155
#101 Posted : 08 August 2018 14:45:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Welcome back. BigGrin

Look forward to seeing your pics.Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

William's Build
#102 Posted : 26 August 2018 18:39:05

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Thanks all,

I’ve been working hard and have now finished the gunport lining and am continuing with the hull planking. Really enjoying the project again, even though the planking is a massive (somewhat repetitive) undertaking!

Thank you CaptainBirdseye. I have to say though, an online forum that doesn’t allow for drag and and drop hi resolution photos seems a bit bonkers to me in 2018. Especially when we’re dealing with such small detail etc! I may try my luck out on a photo hosting site with links on here.

Will get some new photos up as soon as I can!

Gandale
#103 Posted : 26 August 2018 22:05:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great to see you back and continuing with your build. Look forward to seeing your updates.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
arpurchase
#104 Posted : 27 August 2018 08:43:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin All sounds goodCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

William's Build
#105 Posted : 15 June 2020 23:03:08

Hi all,

Haven’t posted in a while, been trying my best to navigate through this Covid 19 rubbish.

Quick one, I have done a fair bit on the model since my last photos but I’m shocked to come back and find that we’re still limited to low quality photo uploads which require us to resize each one!

Has this really not changed and are there any plans to do so? I may have to host the pictures somewhere else otherwise (would rather keep it on here though)

Also, all the ship stuff is out of stock at the moment, I’m keen to get the 4th binder and copper plates for the build. Does anyone know if they’re expecting stock in again or has it all been discontinued? :-S

Hope everyone’s well.
goddo
#106 Posted : 16 June 2020 10:37:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

William's Build wrote:
Quick one, I have done a fair bit on the model since my last photos but I’m shocked to come back and find that we’re still limited to low quality photo uploads which require us to resize each one!

Has this really not changed and are there any plans to do so? I may have to host the pictures somewhere else otherwise (would rather keep it on here though)

William, that's a very good question.
Chris
Gandale
#107 Posted : 16 June 2020 23:15:26

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

William's Build wrote:
Hi all,

Haven’t posted in a while, been trying my best to navigate through this Covid 19 rubbish.

Also, all the ship stuff is out of stock at the moment, I’m keen to get the 4th binder and copper plates for the build. Does anyone know if they’re expecting stock in again or has it all been discontinued? :-S

Hope everyone’s well.

Nothing has changed in the way images are uploaded to the forum and in terms of the size requirements. It is very unlikely to change however, there is talk of an upgrade/new forum but nothing concrete as to when this is likely to happen.

I would exercise caution on using file sharing sites for hosting pics, especially after the debacle with photobucket.

Regards

Alan
William's Build
#108 Posted : 16 June 2020 23:24:34

Gandale wrote:
William's Build wrote:
Hi all,

Hope everyone’s well.

Nothing has changed in the way images are uploaded to the forum and in terms of the size requirements. It is very unlikely to change however, there is talk of an upgrade/new forum but nothing concrete as to when this is likely to happen.

I would exercise caution on using file sharing sites for hosting pics, especially after the debacle with photobucket.

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan, is there a way to host them on google photos and then have them display as an image on this forum via a link to it?

Also .... what photobucket debacle? It’s been a while since I was active on here haha
Gandale
#109 Posted : 16 June 2020 23:40:46

Photobucket supplied their hosting services for free and lots of members used their services. Out of the blue they decided to deny access for their users to their accounts unless they agreed to pay an annual fee, a fee that was rather hefty. Lots of members decided against and images on the forum could no longer be seen thereby destroying many excellent build diaries that had to then be deleted.

Regards

Alan
William's Build
#110 Posted : 16 June 2020 23:49:34

Gandale wrote:
Photobucket supplied their hosting services for free and lots of members used their services. Out of the blue they decided to deny access for their users to their accounts unless they agreed to pay an annual fee, a fee that was rather hefty. Lots of members decided against and images on the forum could no longer be seen thereby destroying many excellent build diaries that had to then be deleted.

Regards

Alan

William's Build attached the following image(s):
TerrifiedEmoji.jpg
William's Build
#111 Posted : 18 June 2020 15:02:49

Quick one folks, issue 37 states that the stern will likely need a dropper plank but I’m not having too many issues with the bending process or seeing gaps etc. Can someone comment and tell me if I’m walking into issues if I don’t place one based on the picture?

Many thanks in advance.

File Attachment(s):
212D4E55-060F-4FDF-9AEB-6A19D191582C.jpeg (121kb) downloaded 30 time(s).
William's Build
#112 Posted : 23 June 2020 22:02:22

Another question in anticipation for sanding the hull — I have removed all the pins in my build which has left hundreds of little holes. How would people suggest filling these or is it not necessary?

Many thanks in advance.
Gandale
#113 Posted : 23 June 2020 22:53:32

[quote=William's Build]Another question in anticipation for sanding the hull — I have removed all the pins in my build which has left hundreds of little holes. How would people suggest filling these or is it not necessary?

Many thanks in advance. [/quote

To get the best finish possible for painting then I would fill the holes with any good quality wood filler that is easy to sand.

Regards

Alan
William's Build
#114 Posted : 23 June 2020 23:05:10

Gandale wrote:
[quote=William's Build]Another question in anticipation for sanding the hull — I have removed all the pins in my build which has left hundreds of little holes. How would people suggest filling these or is it not necessary?

Many thanks in advance. [/quote

To get the best finish possible for painting then I would fill the holes with any good quality wood filler that is easy to sand.

Regards

Alan

Thanks for this, Christ alive....! How would you suggest getting it into such a small hole? Pin or syringe perhaps?
Gandale
#115 Posted : 23 June 2020 23:26:07

Use a putty knife, flexible blade or a spreader. Spread the filler over all the holes and leave to dry. When dry sand it all smooth. Would also suggest you look at some videos on how to prepare a wooden hull for painting. Here's an example...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mcQ1nPCxg

Regards

Alan
William's Build
#116 Posted : 23 June 2020 23:46:02

Gandale wrote:
Use a putty knife, flexible blade or a spreader. Spread the filler over all the holes and leave to dry. When dry sand it all smooth. Would also suggest you look at some videos on how to prepare a wooden hull for painting. Here's an example...

Regards

Alan

Much appreciated Alan, thanks!
William's Build
#117 Posted : 24 June 2020 19:01:21

Gandale wrote:

Regards

Alan

Good video Alan,

One thing, I have some clinkering over the model. Its not massive, would you suggest some wood filler or just sand it smooth?
William's Build
#118 Posted : 24 June 2020 23:25:24

Some quick update shots before I start the last section of plans.

6 years and I’ve nearly finished planking the hull!

It has always been my intention to finish the build, not least because I promised my grandfather I would before he passed away (he took a keen interest) setting up a company does tend to take your attention away from things though.

Anyway back at it and really enjoying the build so far.

Critical input would be appreciated, it would be good to know if I’m walking into a mistake!

I’m a bit worried that the bow and stern ends are planked higher than the middle section. Any suggestions how to get around that, just start tapering?
File Attachment(s):
0593C50A-05C7-4A74-B7D3-34734ABF880C.jpeg (78kb) downloaded 40 time(s).
18485922-CFFF-4EF3-8167-40814D3EB7D1.jpeg (125kb) downloaded 26 time(s).
49BF6EDA-090B-470D-B626-0A0BFA174D4A.jpeg (123kb) downloaded 32 time(s).
William's Build
#119 Posted : 09 February 2021 16:32:29

Hi folks, quick one.

As I approach the end of the planking, I’m finding that I haven’t tapered the bow and stern planks enough, as such I’ll end up with a gap in the middle.

Any suggestions?
Roeland
#120 Posted : 09 February 2021 16:35:16

If you paint it you can fill it.