Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Raising and lowering legs Options
Virgil Tracey
#1 Posted : 24 August 2018 16:03:25

Groups: Registered

Just finished my mighty T2 but find the Achilles heal is he gearing for the legs.
As the cogs are nylon they can easily unmesh which causes one side to be wonky I was wondering if anyone else has the same problem.
I've used a couple of brass washers to help but was wondering if anyone has a mod to use metal cogs etc to make the thing behave correctly. Nothing worse than hearing the Click of of shame when the thing is rising or lowering.
delboy271155
#2 Posted : 24 August 2018 17:53:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Virgil Tracey wrote:
Just finished my mighty T2 but find the Achilles heal is he gearing for the legs.
As the cogs are nylon they can easily unmesh which causes one side to be wonky I was wondering if anyone else has the same problem.
I've used a couple of brass washers to help but was wondering if anyone has a mod to use metal cogs etc to make the thing behave correctly. Nothing worse than hearing the Click of of shame when the thing is rising or lowering.

Hi BigGrin

To date I don`t know of any others with this issue. Confused

To help can you please let us know which side is not working properly. Then unfortunately you will have to open the body up to reveal the gear train and then let us know which gear is slipping.

With that info and if possible a couple of pictures of the offending parts we will be able to assist.

Another aid available is the trouble shooting guide at the very end of the pack 12 instructions.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Virgil Tracey
#3 Posted : 25 August 2018 11:07:40

Hi Dellboy thanks for getting back to me. This wasn't a problem during the build When it was tested way back in Pack 7 it worked just fine, however I'd heard that several people have experienced this phenomena.
You tube is a good reference source to see videos of wonky legs....

So as I say I have put a washer on the top of the top crown gear and then re-screwed down the rack housing and it is a lot better but I feel this temporary fix will destroy other components in the motor housing. I have done a picture from the instruction PDF but can't seem to attach it
Virgil Tracey
#4 Posted : 25 August 2018 11:08:27

that's how you do it
File Attachment(s):
the problem.jpg (296kb) downloaded 193 time(s).
delboy271155
#5 Posted : 25 August 2018 17:25:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi,

As I said we have to date not received any complaints at customer services or on the forum of this issue. So my thoughts are that you have a defective part somewhere in the drive train.

From my experience with building the official TB2 for the forum the drive shafts and gears are held firmly in place.

My suggestion is that you check that everything in the drive train is correctly orientated/seated and also check that you don`t have any distorted shafts that are running off centre.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

TeaserUK
#6 Posted : 15 September 2018 13:43:23

Hi there, I received my last box of parts this week and having assembled the final stages, I'm getting the skipping gears on the left hand side of TB2. I had no trouble during the testing phases at all and only seems to be when the full body is assembled. When resetting the legs, the clear cover piece broke so I'm not happy at the moment! In any case the gears skipping is not an isolated incident.
delboy271155
#7 Posted : 15 September 2018 17:21:22

TeaserUK wrote:
Hi there, I received my last box of parts this week and having assembled the final stages, I'm getting the skipping gears on the left hand side of TB2. I had no trouble during the testing phases at all and only seems to be when the full body is assembled. When resetting the legs, the clear cover piece broke so I'm not happy at the moment! In any case the gears skipping is not an isolated incident.

Hi TeaserUK

I understand your frustration with this problem and everything possible is being done to resolve it.

Firstly contact CS and order a replacement pack from which the broken part came. You will need to tell CS the pack number the broken part is from and have your subscription account number to hand.

Now to the problem at hand. Yours is the second report on the forum of this issue so from the many thousands of kits sold it is still an isolated incident, that none the less needs sorting.

The kits for the official build and the official video are working as they should so we are going to have to try and replicate the gear skipping and therefore appreciate your patience while this is happening. All findings will be reported here.

As the two reports both indicate that this problem only occurs when the upper body is fixed in place could you answer the following questions for me to aid in the diagnosis as to the possible cause.

1: Did you have any problems with the fit of the upper body or locating/tightening of the fixing screws.

2: Have you tried loosening the upper body screws slightly to eliminate any over tightening that may cause possible distortion of the lower body.

3: During your initial tests without the upper body fixed in place did the motor cut off switches work properly every time. If this is not the case then there may be some accidental damage within the drive train.

4: Have you checked that all the drive shafts are straight especially the ones from the motor and that all the pinion and crown gears are correctly formed in their shape. The electric motor puts out a fair amount of torque for its size and could cause this issue if a defective part is in the drive chain.

5: Have you checked that the gear racks are "fully" screwed into the leg springs as this will certainly cause an issue if not.

Thanks in advance for your assistance with the above questions and rest assured the problem is being worked on.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

TeaserUK
#8 Posted : 16 September 2018 12:53:06

Thank you for responding so quickly:

delboy271155 wrote:

1: Did you have any problems with the fit of the upper body or locating/tightening of the fixing screws.

None at all.

delboy271155 wrote:

2: Have you tried loosening the upper body screws slightly to eliminate any over tightening that may cause possible distortion of the lower body.

I will try this when a replacement part arrives.

delboy271155 wrote:

3: During your initial tests without the upper body fixed in place did the motor cut off switches work properly every time. If this is not the case then there may be some accidental damage within the drive train.

Yes,they worked reliably tried it 10-odd times.

delboy271155 wrote:

4: Have you checked that all the drive shafts are straight especially the ones from the motor and that all the pinion and crown gears are correctly formed in their shape. The electric motor puts out a fair amount of torque for its size and could cause this issue if a defective part is in the drive chain.

When I fitted them there was no problem - I'll double check before ordering the spare parts.

delboy271155 wrote:

5: Have you checked that the gear racks are "fully" screwed into the leg springs as this will certainly cause an issue if not.

Yes I checked this.
delboy271155
#9 Posted : 16 September 2018 13:11:25

Thanks for your response.BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

mickeyflinn
#10 Posted : 20 September 2018 13:10:37

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b90_l4zx-Y&t=77s[/YOUTUBE]

I did the video to troubleshoot this very issue.

To stop it, I've put a 0.5mm washer under the lower crown gear.

As per the previous posts I had no problems until the whole of TB2 was assembled and it appears to be made worse after tightening the 3 body screws near to this crown gear assembly.
delboy271155
#11 Posted : 20 September 2018 18:17:13

mickeyflinn wrote:
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b90_l4zx-Y&t=77s[/YOUTUBE]

I did the video to troubleshoot this very issue.

To stop it, I've put a 0.5mm washer under the lower crown gear.

As per the previous posts I had no problems until the whole of TB2 was assembled and it appears to be made worse after tightening the 3 body screws near to this crown gear assembly.

Hi mickeyflinn BigGrin

Many thanks for providing the link to the video as it shows your issue well.Cool

I have studied the operation of your TB2 and it seems to confirm my suspicions that the gears can only slip if the black slide rail allows the gears to move and there looks to be a very small amount of movement in your slide rail.This therefore points to the fact that a 0.5mm washer will block that movement in the gears as you are in fact lifting the gears by that 0.5mm and holding them against the slide rail and stopping the gear slip.

Although it works when the upper body is not fixed its most probably only just working and near the point of slipping. The problem is then compounded when the upper body is fixed in place as the extra weight is likely making the slide rail move by that 0.5mm.

My TB2 works fine time after time and that`s with my Grandson man-handling it and there is no movement in the slide rail at all hence stopping any space for the gears to slip.

My recommendation is therefore to go back to the stage where you fit the slide rail and make sure that there is absolutely no movement in it when its finally screwed into place.

It may be worth checking that the screws that hold the slide rail down are not hitting the bottom of the blind hole they screw into as they may appear fully tightened but still allow that small amount of movement in the slide rail.

Thanks again for your input.Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

neil osgood
#12 Posted : 13 November 2018 22:34:42

I also have this problem. I thought is was the motor that was making the Clacking sound but I have since replaced it but it still does it and raises unevenly.
It is fine without the top assembled.
I have stripped it back to the point of assembling the legs, gears etc. and all seems in order.
it also appeared fine when I held the top half together with masking tape but as soon as its screwed together, it plays up. I have tried tried tightening one screw and tested, then another and tested and so on.Just when I think it's fine, it starts slipping gears and raises all wonky. It is now getting very tedious to keep having to undo all the screws, remove the rack cover to reset the legs. Am getting worried that sooner or later the screws will no longer bite and the whole thing will be useless..I will try the trick of using a washer but don't see why I should have to bodge a job on such an expensive item.
I've paid less for cars that run better than this.
I have thoroughly enjoyed building this over the past year but it now turning into frustration.
delboy271155
#13 Posted : 14 November 2018 01:49:59

Hi Neil,

I`m sorry to hear you are having this problem, but installing a 0.5mm washer is only going to mask the problem you`re having.

Many of these models have been assembled and work without any issues.

mickeyflinn posted a link to a video of this problem within this thread and it clearly shows that the slide rail is not secured fully in place.

My advice to the video was that the screws holding the slide rail in place may appear to be fully inserted, but then again may not be so. Now wether this is down to the screw being 0.5mm to long or the blind hole it screws into being not deep enough I can`t tell as I don`t have a problem with the kit I built.

The thing is that on a working model there is no available space for the gears to slip as they are very firmly held in place by the slide rail.

Please check how well your slide rails are held in place, noting that any slight movement in the rail will give the opportunity for the gears to slip, after all 0.5mm is not a massive amount.

Should this advice not solve your issue then please don`t hesitate to post again, noting that any pics/video you can provide will help a lot toward solving your problem.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

neil osgood
#14 Posted : 14 November 2018 20:07:41

Thanks for the advice.. I will dismantle and try again but it won't be for a while..
neil osgood
#15 Posted : 15 November 2018 19:10:17

Finished work earlier than I thought so had another crack at sorting this.. stripped it back down again and put it back together ensuring the slide rails were correctly seated and tightened properly.
All was well and again added screws one by one and eventually it went all wonky again. Stripped again, checked and refitted rear gear box and the same thing happened. Stripped again and this time, taped all the wired out of harms way. put the top on with masking tape and all was fine and a lot smoother with no 'Clacking"of the cogs. Added srcews one by one but as soon as I added screws to the nose section, it happened all over again.
Therefore can only assume the problem lies within the nose section. It also started clacking when I just pinched the nose section together. All seems ok and no obvious reason as to why.
Any suggestions please as this really becoming a bore with stripping back down to reset the slide rails to get the legs even again
delboy271155
#16 Posted : 15 November 2018 19:16:58

Sorry to hear the issue has not been resolved and I fully understand your frustration. Leave things as they are for now and I`ll take a further look into the problem using the information you have supplied.

I will post back asap.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

thomasparker4046
#17 Posted : 26 November 2018 18:22:59

I am also having this problem. Stripped it back down and the problem isnt there until i attach all the screws for joining the upper body to lower
delboy271155
#18 Posted : 26 November 2018 22:19:48

thomasparker4046 wrote:
I am also having this problem. Stripped it back down and the problem isnt there until i attach all the screws for joining the upper body to lower

We have had very few of the TB2 with this issue so I ask the questions below:

Firstly have you checked all the items in the fault finding guide included in the instructions and then have you checked for slide rail movement as posted earlier in this thread?

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Adrian Heath
#19 Posted : 13 December 2018 18:03:05

Another one here with the same problem so is it such an isolated problem? Legs work fine until you put the upper bodywork on, im going to strip it down after reading the advice above, and also look to see if there is anything in the upper body that could foul the gears when tightened, i'll report back soon.
delboy271155
#20 Posted : 13 December 2018 20:34:09

Adrian Heath wrote:
Another one here with the same problem so is it such an isolated problem? Legs work fine until you put the upper bodywork on, im going to strip it down after reading the advice above, and also look to see if there is anything in the upper body that could foul the gears when tightened, i'll report back soon.

Hi Adrian,

I have sent you a PM.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)