Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123
old ironsides, by Jase Options
arpurchase
#41 Posted : 10 September 2017 21:55:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Looking good,nice workCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

tigerace
#42 Posted : 11 September 2017 11:10:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great update JaseBigGrin Nice workDrool regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

jase
#43 Posted : 17 September 2017 18:07:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks guys for looking in Cool

So on with the build. I started to progress the planking of the lower deck, however after downloading all the available instructions I noticed that this deck will not be visible. The cannons are mounted on backing plates and the deck is fully grated so no planking will be seen unless you plan to show some grating open or plan to swop out the cannons for full ones with garages etc. Which I am not so to save myself a good deal of time I have abandoned the decking and progressed with installing and planking the upper deck which is now complete other than soothing the deck and sealing with matt varnish.

The ply insert for the bow and stern have also been fitted completing me up to the end of the second delivery.

Jase
jase attached the following image(s):
IMG_2896.jpg
IMG_2897.jpg
IMG_2927.jpg
IMG_2928.jpg
IMG_2929.jpg
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
MFG
#44 Posted : 17 September 2017 22:25:42

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Jase,

Great update she's looking really good, I'll look forward to watching your progress with this build

May.
jase
#45 Posted : 21 October 2017 14:47:30

The fearing process is not to bad, I used Permagrit files for most of it, they power through this stuff.

next comes the gun port patterns, the first ones are at the bow and it is easy to set them in the wrong place, care is needed to ensure they are both straight and meet in the middle. mine are off rvr so slightly but fixable when the planking gets underway.

I had a little fit issue with two of them that worried me a bit so went back and re checked all the construction of the ribs was correct, but it was a couple of the gun ports do overlap the ribs ever so slightly resulting in a need for me to chisel a bit out, nothing major though and fit was generally good otherwise.

File Attachment(s):
IMG_3016.jpg (268kb) downloaded 61 time(s).
IMG_3015.jpg
IMG_3020.jpg
IMG_3021.jpg
IMG_3022.jpg
IMG_3023.jpg
IMG_3024.jpg
IMG_3025.jpg
IMG_3026.jpg
IMG_3027.jpg
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
arpurchase
#46 Posted : 21 October 2017 18:28:15

Hi Jase

Not sure what your referring to with your gun port fit problem as the instructions in pack 3 from page 44 stage 20 clearly point out that there are two gun port mounts per gun port strip that will fowl the frames if not trimmed back as per the instructions.

If any of the other gun port mounts fowled any of the frames not noted to do this I would double check your keel for warps and make sure its true. Another factor could be the inconsistent and variable temperatures in a loft being used for building can effect the wooden structure of a ship build quite easily and something else I would keep an eye on until she is fully planked.

Andy
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

jase
#47 Posted : 21 October 2017 21:00:17

HI Andy,

no its not the blanking plates at the back that is the issues I have done all that to the instructions my gun port hole was part way over the rib so the rib could be seen through the gun port aperture

there is nothing wrong with the alignment of the frame no warping and the loft temperature is stable there is no movement in the kit wood at all. you will see it in the next update

Thanks for the concern
-Mark Twain
arpurchase
#48 Posted : 21 October 2017 23:21:38

Hi Jase

Do you have a picture of the problem with the frame/frames that gave you a problem as I didnt have that happen with my build.

Andy

jase
#49 Posted : 14 November 2017 22:11:55

Some more pictures of my progress. I have moved a little out of sequence with the instructions, I tend to do that LOL LOL I prefer to complete the hull planking then go back and do the gratings in one go. That said I have done the first one while waiting for parts

You will see from my pics that have chosen to go the 'knee knockers' (yes thats the slang vernacular honest!!) around the grating slightly differently I have chosen to do a corner joint rather than the square on joint in the instructions, I think it has abetter look personal.

As some of you may have read in 'Scuttlebutt' I really love how easily this is coming together, the use of ply formers at the bow and stern is a really good idea that will save a lot of time and help perfect that shape. before anybody points out I haven't followed the suggested plank fall as per the instructions, I know and it really makes no difference as this is the first layer of planking, as ling as you have staggered the joints it will be fine, that said I am not advocating doing what I do Flapper

fun build so far.

First pic shows the issue previously discussed, I have to remove around 25% of the rib from fowling the gun port. yet everything seems aligned correctly.

Happy building. Jase

File Attachment(s):
IMG_3104.jpg (1,603kb) downloaded 83 time(s).
IMG_3029.jpg (2,641kb) downloaded 68 time(s).
IMG_3030.jpg (2,581kb) downloaded 67 time(s).
IMG_3031.jpg (2,512kb) downloaded 59 time(s).
IMG_3033.jpg (2,149kb) downloaded 62 time(s).
IMG_3103.jpg (1,736kb) downloaded 64 time(s).
IMG_3105.jpg (1,465kb) downloaded 64 time(s).
IMG_3106.jpg (1,866kb) downloaded 70 time(s).
IMG_3107.jpg (1,853kb) downloaded 63 time(s).
IMG_3120.jpg (1,543kb) downloaded 63 time(s).
IMG_3137.jpg (1,846kb) downloaded 62 time(s).
IMG_3138.jpg (1,925kb) downloaded 72 time(s).
IMG_3028.jpg
-Mark Twain
arpurchase
#50 Posted : 15 November 2017 11:48:58

BigGrin Hi Jase

Firstly it would be a good idea to resize your pics so they do not need to be downloaded to view them. After looking at your latest pics and it may be the angle of the shots it looks like the lower deck is out of kilter with the next one. just an observation and hopefully will not be a problem later on in your build.

AndyCool

leggolon
#51 Posted : 22 September 2018 19:01:36

Hello
By the way your build looks great. As I am new to some of these methods can you explain in a little more detail what the "paper method of planking the deck is. Much appreciated