Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages <12
Murphy's Surprise Build Log Options
MurphyPeoples
#21 Posted : 16 September 2018 20:42:06

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Decks sanded, and buttress joints marked. I plan on taking scotchbrite to the markings to lighten them a bit, and then dull coat - which should darken the wood slightly as well. ; )

I'm guessing I really don't need to plank beyond the ribs? They would be unseen between the interior battens and hull planking. I've seen most guys plank these unseen areas, and wondered why?

Thank you for the continued comments which are uplifting. Back to work Monday. Probably next Sunday before I post progress again.
Murphy

File Attachment(s):
deck marked.PNG (352kb) downloaded 56 time(s).
Current Build HMS Surprise
magpie1832
#22 Posted : 16 September 2018 22:04:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Yes your correct you don't really need to plank to the ribs as the middle ribs have an inner bulwark added.

Great progress on her.

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

arpurchase
#23 Posted : 17 September 2018 07:59:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looking good and nice workCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

MurphyPeoples
#24 Posted : 17 September 2018 12:49:59

magpie1832 wrote:
Yes your correct you don't really need to plank to the ribs as the middle ribs have an inner bulwark added.

Great progress on her.

Chris

Thanks Chris!
May I ask you a question? I've read your blog up to post 86, checking to see if you used a electric plank bender to form your hull planks or a set of plank crimpers? I've got both and plan to experiment.

Also - did you truly find it helpful to block out the bow with balsa? I've plenty of that on hand if you think it makes a helpful difference.

Thanks sir!
Murphy
Markwarren
#25 Posted : 17 September 2018 13:11:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Looking very good, nice work.

Mark
MurphyPeoples
#26 Posted : 17 September 2018 19:53:49

40 year old Minwax wood finish #218 Puritan Pine laid onto the gun deck. I like how it shows all the blemishes in each plank.

arpurchase
#27 Posted : 18 September 2018 07:08:59

BigGrin Nice job on the planking stain and looking goodCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Markwarren
#28 Posted : 18 September 2018 07:48:24

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

That’s come up very nice.ThumpUp

Mark
DaDokta
#29 Posted : 24 September 2018 13:39:21

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Good looking stain!
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
MurphyPeoples
#30 Posted : 29 September 2018 16:16:50

Very wet and overcast day in South Carolina, so unfortunately no yard work this morning. Instead I'm blocking out the forward bow and will file/sand on Sunday. Nervous about getting to the "moment of truth" and plating the hull.
So I'm studying you guru's build log's fastidiously!

magpie1832
#31 Posted : 29 September 2018 19:59:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great update. Those infills make a massive difference when planking.

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

MurphyPeoples
#32 Posted : 29 September 2018 21:16:57

magpie1832 wrote:
Great update. Those infills make a massive difference when planking.

Chris

Thanks Chris! I have learned from the best! you! ; )
arpurchase
#33 Posted : 30 September 2018 07:27:06

BigGrin All looks good and just take your time with the fairing and all will be wellCool

Markwarren
#34 Posted : 30 September 2018 08:52:31

Looking excellent, nice preparation for the planking.

Mark