Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Issue 63 Steering Rod length? Options
ambivorous
#1 Posted : 02 October 2018 16:54:43

Groups: Registered

Hey guys,

I'm having an issue where, when I try to stick the interior to the chassis, my steering wheel pops out. Sadly I only noticed this once I had completed the entire engine, so getting the rod back out again was quite the struggle.
Upon inspection, the only conclusion I can come to is that my steering rod is somehow too long.

Can anyone tell me if their rod happens to be about 15cm long or if it's meant to be shorter?

Excuse the poor measuring implement, but the thing is about a centimetre too long, so I figured there was no need for exact science.

Thanks in advance.
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 02 October 2018 17:19:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Can you check the pinion is fully seated on the shaft as per the official build and also double check the steering rack has been fitted correctly using the link below to identify if it needs adjustment:-

https://forum.model-spac...aspx?g=posts&t=23276
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

ambivorous
#3 Posted : 02 October 2018 17:43:50

Hi, thanks for the quick response.

I tried to show in the photo that the pinion is fully seated.
The steering rack is also fitted correctly (the steering wheel operates the wheels perfectly when everything is assembled even).
arpurchase
#4 Posted : 02 October 2018 18:03:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi can you take some pictures of the steering rod in position and the surrounding parts so we can see the problem your having.

Andy
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

ambivorous
#5 Posted : 02 October 2018 20:26:12

Sure.

Just showing that the pinion is in properly:

Then this happens:

That piece of plastic there can't go into the hole of the dashboard above it, because it's too far out.

If I fit it incorrectly then I can get the holes to line up:

Then this happens:

The rod isn't fitting where it should, which pushes the steering wheel out.

I struggled to get pictures that help describe this better. :/
arpurchase
#6 Posted : 02 October 2018 20:32:39

Hi I would contact C/S for a replacement issue.

ambivorous
#7 Posted : 02 October 2018 20:55:20

Thanks, will do.