Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Guide to getting started (again) in Model Making + Shopping list Options
MorganUK
#1 Posted : 10 October 2018 12:08:25

Groups: Registered

I have been after building a Millennium Falcon for quite some time (again, first one was about 16 years ago) and what took me by surprise is the Deagonstini build, which I thought was probably a bit of a ripoff (I don't like month by month things), turns out to be quite possibly the DEFINATIVE model to choose and its now all available.

I have not build model for a very long time, but need something to focus my attention on that is not a computer screen

I am going to commit to the long haul, 12 months but what I want to make sure, skills aside is that I end up with a model that is as close to the best as it can be

- Proper landing lights
- Properly lit back engine
- Properly furnished and lit interior

I am not sure what the 'vanilla' build looks like but it certainly does not seem to appeal to.. well.. anyone

I see people have bought parts from shape ways, some pressed brass parts from another place, and led's from a other place.

Is there a 'shopping' list of items to get for a model that will satisfy someone looking for an end production that is 'the ship from the film'.

I have looked at Mark Webbers (apologies if I got the name wrong) build which looks pretty definitive, but there is not often any links or prices to the custom stuff bought in.

The reason I ask is I can put a lot of this stuff on my Xmas list for people to buy me, rather than the usual vouchers and alcohol.

Thanks in advance for any guidance, and any shooing lists of tools, accessories to get started back into this hobby are very much appreciated
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 10 October 2018 12:42:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

First, welcome to the forum. You have certainly picked up the most definitive kit, it is a truly amazing build.
There are a lot of build diaries here on the Falcon and everyone has made it their own with their own interpretation on it. As for a shopping list, you may want to look at the different build logs as some people have used third party accessories and others making their own scratch build parts.
I have also done a custom build here on the forum where some third-party parts have been used, but most of which was scratch built including lighting. The link is below.

What ever you decide, I look forward to seeing your progress.

Regards
Mark

Custom Build Link
Gandale
#3 Posted : 10 October 2018 14:07:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Welcome to the forum, you've certainly chosen a fantastic kit to build... I would certainly recommend Mark's Custom diary as one to follow for making your build your own. Look forward to seeing your progress....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
MorganUK
#4 Posted : 10 October 2018 14:10:51

Markwarren wrote:
First, welcome to the forum. You have certainly picked up the most definitive kit, it is a truly amazing build.
There are a lot of build diaries here on the Falcon and everyone has made it their own with their own interpretation on it. As for a shopping list, you may want to look at the different build logs as some people have used third party accessories and others making their own scratch build parts.
I have also done a custom build here on the forum where some third-party parts have been used, but most of which was scratch built including lighting. The link is below.

Regards
Mark

Custom Build Link

Sorry MARK WARREN.. not Mark Webber.. you were the inspiration for my final choice. I have been agonising for 6-8 weeks on what model to build, but I read your diary the other day, saw the final product and that was that.. so its YOUR fault I am about to fork out a four figure sum! :-)
Markwarren
#5 Posted : 10 October 2018 14:57:50

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

MorganUK wrote:
Markwarren wrote:

Regards
Mark

Custom Build Link

Sorry MARK WARREN.. not Mark Webber.. you were the inspiration for my final choice. I have been agonising for 6-8 weeks on what model to build, but I read your diary the other day, saw the final product and that was that.. so its YOUR fault I am about to fork out a four figure sum! :-)

SorryCrying
But your going to have so much pleasure, if you need any help with anything, just let me know.
Have fun.ThumpUp
MorganUK
#6 Posted : 10 October 2018 15:00:13

Markwarren wrote:

SorryCrying
But your going to have so much pleasure, if you need any help with anything, just let me know.
Have fun.ThumpUp

Cant wait, just need to breath deep, curb my enthusiasm and not rush and enjoy the journey from ordering (just done), to completion (a year away)

Just looking at the paragrafix site at the moment for all the modifications
delboy271155
#7 Posted : 10 October 2018 21:37:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Welcome to the forum and good luck for your build.

Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

arpurchase
#8 Posted : 11 October 2018 07:31:22

BigGrin Welcome to the forum and your going to have fun with thisCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .