Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

R2-D2 customised build page 13 Options
Markwarren
#1 Posted : 17 September 2018 22:02:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

I have varnished the foot parts and allowed them to dry. Next was to fit the circuitry to the centre foot and assemble all the parts together. Once all the parts had been assembled, I fitted the lugs into the screw holes and painted them to blend in with the rest of part.
Now to fit it all to the main frame. First, was the base plate, very straight forward, then the foot section feeding the cables through to the inner frame.
The final pictures show it all fitted together.
More soon.

Markwarren attached the following image(s):
Photo 404.jpg
Photo 405.jpg
Photo 406.jpg
Photo 407.jpg
Photo 408.jpg
Photo 409.jpg
Photo 410.jpg
Photo 411.jpg
Photo 412.jpg
Photo 413.jpg
Photo 414.jpg
Photo 415.jpg
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 24 September 2018 07:46:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

This next update, I have started to weather the panels on R2-D2. I started with the front panel as you can see in these pictures. I used a mixture of Mig oils, sand, mud and good old starship filth. I painted the panel whilst it was attached to the framework, as it was easy to turn in different position, so not to handle the painted area too much. This was allowed to dry before I varnished the panels to seal the paint. I covered over the main blue areas whilst varnishing as I didn’t want to lose the gloss effect.
Next will be the back panel before getting onto the dome itself.

More soon.

Photo 416.jpg
Photo 417.jpg
Photo 418.jpg
Photo 419.jpg
Photo 420.jpg
Photo 421.jpg
Photo 422.jpg
Photo 422a.jpg
Photo 422b.jpg
Photo 423.jpg
Photo 424.jpg
Markwarren
#3 Posted : 08 October 2018 08:03:31

Here, you can see I have started putting the electronics into R2. I have also made up the assembly for the dome operation.
The end is near.
More soon.
Photo 427.jpg
Photo 428.jpg
Photo 429.jpg
Photo 430.jpg
Photo 431.jpg
Photo 432.jpg
Photo 433.jpg
Photo 434.jpg
Photo 435.jpg
Photo 436.jpg
Photo 437.jpg
Photo 438.jpg
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 15 October 2018 07:53:31

Now we are getting closer to finishing R2. As the next lots of parts will be to install R2’s camera to the front of the dome, I decided to weather this part first before finishing the back of the body panel.
The first picture is one that I have used as reference and I wanted the dome to match the colours I have already used on R2.
Working out how to paint the dome was difficult and I was a little apprehensive about it. Once I had started I knew I was at the point of no return.

I used Mig oils as before. The main three colours were starship filth, mud and sand. I cleaned the dome first to get rid of any finger prints and grease. Once this was clean and dry, I masked off the lighting and lenses to protect them. I then used a mixture of Mig sand and mud on a cotton bud and started to rub a very fine coat over the aluminium dome, but not the blue panels. This was allowed to dry overnight. When using the oils I did not thin them down with turps, just used them straight out of the tube. By doing this first it will allow the weathering part to adhere better.
I then started highlighting the areas around the panels, using the paint very sparingly and putting it on with a combination of different brushes. This was very slow going and care was taken not the handle the dome, turning it on its stand.
Again, once finished this was allowed to dry. I then used a fine coat of satin varnish to seal the oils and once this has dried, it will allow you to handle without finger marks.
I have included a couple of pictures of R2 temporary fitted with dome in place, couldn’t resist.

Now just the back panel and a few small areas to finish off painting and it’s all down to the electronics. Getting very exciting now.

More soon.
Photo 439.jpg
Photo 440.jpg
Photo 441.jpg
Photo 442.jpg
Photo 443.jpg
Photo 444.jpg
Photo 445.jpg
Photo 445a.jpg
Photo 448.jpg
Photo 449.jpg