Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

X-Wing quality better or worse than Falcon? Options
amf123
#1 Posted : 24 November 2018 20:23:37

Groups: Registered

Hi. Having bought their schtick about the Falcon coming pre-painted and thus discovering along with everyone else that it was rubbish and needed painting from scratch, does anyone know about any more info about the x-wing? I'm struggling to find much about it. As it's been launched in other areas I wondered if anyone had seen any body work parts yet? Does it come painted as previously promised or will it be another start from scratch job again? Just trying to figure out how much of my time it will take up if I decide to subscribe again. Also, because of this, a lot of people were giving up their subscriptions part way in and it wasn't uncommon to find issues 1-50 on eBay for half price. Just weighing up, if it's more involved than people anticipate again, it might be worth waiting and buying bulk issues after a year or so to save money.
roymattblack
#2 Posted : 24 November 2018 20:30:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Sounds a bit like you're expecting poor stuff anyway, before you even start.
Why subscribe if you were already disappointed with the Falcon?

These part-works are kits for the 'general public' so come (to a degree) ready to go.
More experienced modellers know that so go with the flow.

If you are after a 'studio' paint job, you will have to do it yourself.
amf123
#3 Posted : 24 November 2018 20:58:19

I'm not expecting anything, that's the point. I'm not an experienced modeller, the falcon is the only thing I have ever built. As a total novice I took them at their word about what they promised to deliver. They didn't deliver their promises so I had to spend time and money buying paint, a compressor, an airbrush and teach myself what to do with it all. I'm happy to say I was very pleased with what I created. If I decide to subscribe to another of their models I'd like to go into it with my eyes more open than they were the last time. I don't think thats unreasonable.
darbyvet
#4 Posted : 25 November 2018 00:33:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Its an impossible question to answer because it is clearly a subjective assessment.Many people built the falcon without any repainting and some went all out and repainted everything.If you go on any studio scale Star Wars kit forum you will find some pretty heated arguments about the paint jobs on all of the major models including the master replicas models which are at least double the price of the Deagostini falcon.

I have the falcon and I am subscribed to the X-wing.I would say the factory paint job on the X-wing is similar to the falcon-maybe a bit more subtle, but I would never expect a mass produced kit to have a paint job even close to an individually painted kit.

These kits are a compromise.They appeal to modelers of all skill ranges.Those that just want a big X wing can build this model and have a pretty good end result.Those that want to go all out have the option to repaint to suit their own interpretation.

I have been building studio scale Star Wars models for 10 years.Until Deagostini entered the market you couldnt buy a studio scale Falcon kit.You had to buy $3K worth of donor kits and scratch build.If you wanted an Xwing you had to buy a garage kit run resin kit.Building these kits required advanced modeling skills and you had to research the paint colors ans schemes.Are these kits perfect.No. there are very few perfect kits out there.

Gandale
#5 Posted : 25 November 2018 01:04:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Regarding the falcon and how good it was, I would also point out that the DeAgostini Falcon was actually awarded the Disney Product Innovation Award, awarded for the falcon in its supplied guise:

https://forum.model-spac...spx?g=posts&t=20544

It’s also untrue to say you had to paint the model, painting the Falcon as with any model is purely a personal choice matter for those that wish to add their own personal touches to the kit. It has sold over 4 million copies worldwide with thousands of happy customers who built it in its supplied guise.

With regards to the X-Wing, you could follow the Official build, here you will see exactly how the X-Wing is built in accordance with the instructions and how the parts received with each issue actually look.

https://forum.model-spac...spx?g=posts&t=29016

You can also take a look at this topic here which is way ahead of any build worldwide...

https://forum.model-spac...spx?g=posts&t=29666

Regards

Alan

amf123
#6 Posted : 25 November 2018 16:41:59

Well we'll have to agree to disagree. I am of the opinion that using the master replicas falcon for all of their advertising at the time was very misleading. It's no wonder people were disappointed with what they received as compared to what was used as advertising material. If they'd shown the photos of the master replicas falcon with a disclaimer at the bottom saying "by the way, this isn't the one you'll receive" I may give your point a bit more credit. Even the pic in that thread used to advertise the award isn't the one as supplied. Anyway, from those threads you have linked I can see images I had not found before regarding the x-wing and can decide from that so thank you for the links.
Markwarren
#7 Posted : 25 November 2018 17:26:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

That’s just it, in the main everyone was happy with the falcon hence why it has sold over 4 million copies - you are of course entitled to your opinion, there are thousands out there that would disagree!