Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

New member saying hello Options
Smuggler
#1 Posted : 28 June 2011 16:27:59

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hello all, i thought i would post an introduction on this forum.

I gave up model making many years ago when i became a full time carer, but since about 1 year ago i have been looking to get back into the model making scene ( basically, needed something to relieve the stress).

I used to do many airfix kits when i was younger, mainly aircraft, and was looking for a model to do.

After looking at a few partwork build's, i decided to go the Deagostini way, but was trying to decide what model to do.

The Mclaren looks amazing, but i'm not into cars, so i looked at all the excellent ships on sale.

The sailing ships are beautiful to look at, but the thought of all that rigging was making me sweat with fear ( i'm not so much fingers and thumbs, more thumbs and thumbsBlushing ).

I was about to order the Yamato when i noticed a new ship on the list, the Akagi, and my heart sang with joy. Finally, a decent aircraft carrier model, with a price i can afford, and looking amazing.

The forum seems very active and from what i can figure out, Tomick is the man with the know how, so i will be following his build with avid interest.

So, glad to be here, and happy building to allBigGrin
I smile because i have NO IDEA whats going on :)
jonny7england
#2 Posted : 28 June 2011 16:44:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome aboard Smuggler, the period sailing ships are not as difficult as they seem, like all models, they just need time and patience and some TLC...I hope that you enjoy your Akagi build and hope that you will post pictures of your progress...happy building mate...BigGrin
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
magpie1832
#3 Posted : 28 June 2011 16:56:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome aboard mate.

This is a great forum for knowledge, there are plenty of builders.
I am also doing the Akagi , it will be my first carrier as my others are Sail ships. So some areas are new to me but others arnt. I used to do Aircraft until the wooden ships took over. And this one adds them both together nicely.

Hope you enjoy your build and post lots of pics.

Chris.
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Tomick
#4 Posted : 28 June 2011 16:57:40

Groups:

Welcome to the forum Smuggler, you'll be right in thinking that I'm the 'Official' DeAgostini model maker.
There is lots of help and guidance around the forum and the guy's n gal's are a great bunch and only to happy to assist; feel free to post a build diary of your own and look forward to seeing the result of your labours ThumpUp
Smuggler
#5 Posted : 28 June 2011 16:59:11

i will BigGrin although i used to have a problem with glueing parts of the model to myself (could be a whole new model scene, a human/Akagi hybrid)
I smile because i have NO IDEA whats going on :)
MWG
#6 Posted : 28 June 2011 18:56:13

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome aboard SmugglerLOL This will be my first Aircraft Carrier, so we will all be learning new skills together under the guidence of our Master----MR TBigGrin

We are just one happy familyCool
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Dontshootme
#7 Posted : 29 June 2011 02:28:03

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Welcome,I too will be building the Akagi..on the orders of the wife..though it won't be started for a while as there is the little matter of catching up on the Victory build,gluing 4500 copper tiles in place & also my build of the Thermopylae to finish...none of which can be done until I have built my new workshop as I have just moved & downsized house.
Rob Nolli Illigitimi Carborundum!!!
Current Builds:HMS Victory,SV Thermopylae
Silent_Running
#8 Posted : 16 July 2011 22:38:48

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Smuggler,

Welcome to the forum, and I look forward to seeing your build diary of the Akagi.

Kind Regards
IAN
#9 Posted : 17 July 2011 20:33:08

Hi Smuggler...

Welcome... this is a great place to learn, i am new around hear and the ideas that these modelers come up with are great.

Best regards,
Ian
Ian
Builds in progress: E-type, HMS Victory, HMS Endeavour, HMS Soverein of the Seas
Wish list: Bentley Blower
http://forum.model-space...spx?g=posts&m=30439
http://mxpublishing.co.uk/engine/shop/product/9781780920184/Hunt+for+the+Blower+Bentley
doremi495
#10 Posted : 17 July 2011 21:02:47

Hi Smuggler.

Welcome to the Forum.
Dave H

Current builds :- Hachette 1/16 Tiger Tank
H.M.S Victory, Santisima Trinidad (Section), 1/8 scale Aston Martin DB5, 1/8 scale McLaren, YNWA
alantait
#11 Posted : 17 July 2011 22:20:46

welcome, i am enjoying watching your builds, even though i am not doing the akagi myself yet....
current builds

victory,endeavour,thermoplye,constitution