Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

inside wheel arches colour Options
pbhawkin
#1 Posted : 19 December 2018 21:57:10

Groups: Registered

Hi,
Can someone tell me if the cars left the factory with Black sealant in the wheel arches over the Orange primer?
It's impossible to tell looking at pictures on the internet as you don't know if they are original or more modern rebuilds.
ALSO, has anyone had a go at trying to match the overspray from the body colour onto the Orange primer under the car?
What colour Blue (using hobby paints) matches?

regards
Peter in Australia
PS I am up to issue 24 with modifications as per Roy's tweaked mustang
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 19 December 2018 22:10:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I think they left the factory without and underseal on the cars.

As for the paint colour the only way your could match it correctly is to take a chip of paint from somewhere on the car that wont be seen after its fully built and get it analyzed at a car paint shop. I havent seen the overspray job done so I would be interested in seeing the results when done.
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

MrObsessive
#3 Posted : 22 December 2018 08:26:01

As the cars were built mostly in California, they would have left the factory in those days with no sealant. That was usually a dealer supplied thing as it would have been done just before the customer picked up the car and a lot of them here in the Northeast were undercoated.

Frankly, I like models that show the primer color on the chassis with a bit of overspray on the rockers and lower part of the firewall. What was suggested would be a good idea. If you have a local paint jobber in your area, they can mix (if they're willing) a 'touch up' amount of paint for your model.

In the case of the Shelby models, the cars are painted 'Nightmist Blue' which would be correct for a '67 with the white stripes. When doing overspray in the chassis, you don't want to overdo it. Just a light mist on the sides is pretty much all you need. You have to remember these cars were painted long before the days of robots-------actual live human beings painted 'em. They would have of course lowered the paint gun to paint the rockers but not heavy enough to completely cover the whole underside of the car.

Hope this helps!
pbhawkin
#4 Posted : 22 December 2018 23:42:46

Hi,
Thanks for the replies.
I have found that the hobby paint Model Master ‘Italian Red’ is a PERFECT match for the Orange primer on the model as it comes in the kit. I have used it to ‘hide’ things like the leaf springs brackets which are Black plastic as well as the rear axle coil springs and their inner support etc.
They also make one called ‘oxide Red flat’ but it is more a rust Red and would be suitable to repaint the whole floor pan like Roy did.
Finally their Gloss Black is great to repaint the rear axle, shocks, adrum brakes nd clutch housing plus other areas to get rid of the plastic look!

It seems that as the whole front of the chassis (engine bay) was Blacked out during construction with the aim that NO primer colour should be visible through the front wheel arches (from what I have read on a couple of very informative websites) that Black would be correct. I probably used the wrong term when I said sealant as I assumed that was what it was as opossed to just using paint to hide the primer.
The website is: www.thecoralsnake.com/PAINT.HTML

I will post a build diary soon.

Seasons greetings
Peter