Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Which ship to choose Options
mwstratton
#1 Posted : 24 December 2018 02:09:07

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

I'm returning to modeling after about 20 years. My most memorable build was an itallian made version of the Mayflower.

I'm trying to decide which ship to launch my return. Looking at hms victory, sovereign of the sea, vasa or the soliel royal.

Currently: Soliel Royal, Deag DC-3, DeAg Ford Shelby Mustang GT 500

Prior builds: Mayflower, USS Constitution, Academy 1/800 USS Kitty Hawk, Revell's 1/48 A 10 Warthog

Under the Bench:

On Hold: Revell's 1/48 P 61 Black Widow; AL L'Hermione La Fayette
Martyn Ingram
#2 Posted : 24 December 2018 07:45:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Welcome to the forum m8 . The choice of the ships you have mentioned are stunning kits as I have built two of them and in the process of building the Vasa . The Victory has the most comprehensive instructions out there and a brilliant video build. The sovereign was my first build and I hadn't built a wooden ship before but I didn't find it to difficult to build, it has really good instructions and it's the same with the Soleil but the great thing with that one is you don't have to cut out gunports Cool . And the Vasa has been a joy to build so far Cool . So basically the choice is yours and there are lots of brilliant modellers on this forum to help and I would definitely do a build log Cool
Hope this helps
Martyn
Ps I nearly forgot. Put it down to my age LOL one of the easiest ones I have built is the San Felipe and a great one to cut your teeth on as it will show you how to do the planking rigging etc and it's a great ship when built Cool
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
mwstratton
#3 Posted : 24 December 2018 08:28:07

Thanks Martyn.

I've done wooden models before so planking and rigging aren't new to me.

What will be a new adventure is a build log. Im looking forward to the challenge

Prior builds: Mayflower, USS Constitution, Academy 1/800 USS Kitty Hawk, Revell's 1/48 A 10 Warthog

Under the Bench:

Martyn Ingram
#4 Posted : 24 December 2018 08:56:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looking forward to seeing your build and have fun Cool
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Gandale
#5 Posted : 24 December 2018 10:16:04

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your time with us and the return to your hobby after so long. Great to have you on board and I look forward to seeing some of your work....Cool Cool

All four ships you are looking at end up being beautiful display pieces in their own right and I'm sure you'd be delighted with any of these as your choice. The Victory is iconic, she has the most detailed and easy to follow instructions of any kit. The Official Build Diary follows the instructions closely as does the Official Video build, that together with the abundance of information on members build diaries and topics means you have a wealth of knowledge at your fingertips to achieve a very successful build. The instructions have been compiled more with the beginner in mind to get them started on their ship building experience.

Sovereign of the Seas and Soleil are also great builds. I've build the SOTS and have the Soleil sitting in my stash ready to start. These two I would say are a little more complex and would suit the builder with a little more experience so shouldn't present you with too many problems.

The Vasa is also a great kit, very detailed and colourful especially with decorations. Assembly shouldn't cause you any problems and will be a true joy especially for those that love the challenge of detail painting.

Whichever build you choose I'm sure you won't end up being disappointed. There are Official Build Diaries and Official Video Builds for all of these builds for you to study. Look forward to seeing your work when you get up and running.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#6 Posted : 24 December 2018 11:05:22

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Welcome to the forum. It’s nice to see someone getting back into this hobby after a few years break. I look forward to seeing some of your work soon.ThumpUp

Mark
mwstratton
#7 Posted : 24 December 2018 13:22:41

Thanks Alan and mark

Under the Bench:

mwstratton
#8 Posted : 25 December 2018 19:28:54

BigGrin Think I have decided to go with the Soliel Royal. Will Be ordering subscription after the new year.

Can't Wait to get going! Drool

Under the Bench:

Martyn Ingram
#9 Posted : 25 December 2018 19:42:30

BigGrin She is a stunning ship enjoy Cool
Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?
Tomick
#10 Posted : 25 December 2018 19:55:30

Groups:

mwstratton wrote:
BigGrin Think I have decided to go with the Soliel Royal. Will Be ordering subscription after the new year.

The Soleil Subscription is currently out of stock in the UK
mwstratton
#11 Posted : 25 December 2018 22:32:29

Tomick wrote:
mwstratton wrote:

I am in the States

Under the Bench:

Tomick
#12 Posted : 25 December 2018 23:13:19

Groups:

mwstratton wrote:
Tomick wrote:
mwstratton wrote:

I am in the States
In that case don’t forget that you only have until the 8th of Jan to take advantage of the extended Sale offer - Get 25% Off the entire subscription plus your 1st Pack Free!
mwstratton
#13 Posted : 25 December 2018 23:35:17

Thanks.

Under the Bench: