Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Homemade super glue applicator Options
pemberg
#1 Posted : 18 August 2016 11:16:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

This a simple home made tool I use for applying thin super glue (can also be used with liquid poly).

All you need is a sewing needle and a length of barbecue skewer (or thin dowel). Pic.1.

You take the needle and cut through the eye with a pair of side cutters, Pics 2 & 3.

You then insert the pointed end of the needle into the end of the skewer - it is safest to drill a pilot hole slightly smaller than the diameter of the needle first so as not to split the wood. Alternatively you use a pin vise to hold the needle, Pics 4 & 5.

You then just dip the cut end of the needle into the glue and apply to the part being glued.

The smaller the needle used the less glue is applied and the handle length can be made to suit the jop at hand - useful for getting into confined areas and when rigging ships.

I usually keep 2 or 3 different ones and if the super glue dries in the cut eye you just need to dip into acetone for a couple of minutes and wipe clean - I have been using the same ones for the last 18 months.

I hope people find this useful

Graeme
pemberg attached the following image(s):
P8180108.JPG
P8180109.JPG
P8180110.JPG
P8180111.JPG
P8180112.JPG
michu
#2 Posted : 18 August 2016 11:33:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That's a great tip, I think it's even better than most of the commercially available applicators I've seen as it's easier to get the glue to flow (other I have seen have a full loop at the end which keeps the glue in). BTW, if you don't have acetone handy, it should be enough to just pass the end of applicator through a flame of a lighter, it will burn the CA away.
Any images I post on my personal builds are free to be used and shared under Creative Commons Attribution license, which means you can do what you want with them, on the condition you mention I'm the author.

Happy building :-)

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
Martyn Ingram
#3 Posted : 18 August 2016 13:14:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Brilliant tip Graeme raiding the wife's needle box as we speak lol

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
tigerace
#4 Posted : 18 August 2016 13:16:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Brilliant idea Graeme! just made 3 different sized ones......regards Phil
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

pemberg
#5 Posted : 18 August 2016 13:44:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Martyn, I did mean to put in a warning about asking the wife first!!!
Graeme
arpurchase
#6 Posted : 18 August 2016 14:33:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Top tip Graeme
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

delboy271155
#7 Posted : 18 August 2016 14:33:30

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Excellent tip and worthy of your know how medal.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

birdaj2
#8 Posted : 18 August 2016 15:24:04

Really good idea.

I guess the only thing to add is watch your eyes when chopping through that needlecend in case it goes "supersonic".

Will give this a try myself because up until now i have used a cocktail stick and to to any good effect and your idea is a lot lower cost than buying the commercial version.

Thanks for sharing.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
ModelMania
#9 Posted : 18 August 2016 15:33:02

Groups:

I agree, a very useful tip especially as it can get into tight spaces and hold a good amount of glue as well. I've always used a drop of glue on the pointy end of a needle in a pin-vice, or the tip of a scalpel blade for wicking superglue into joints, etc, never thought to try your method!

A top tip, thanks for that Graeme, I'll be making a set of different sizes for myself!!

Kev
Spal
#10 Posted : 18 August 2016 17:17:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great idea Gramme, congrats on the medal.

Al
davetwin
#11 Posted : 18 August 2016 17:22:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Genius!! So simple yet so effective!
Gandale
#12 Posted : 18 August 2016 21:39:52

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Excellent idea, guess who's going to make some.....lol...

Regards

Alan
pemberg
#13 Posted : 19 August 2016 08:17:43

Thanks for the positive comments guys (and the medal). I hope you find it as useful as I have.
Graeme
oledad
#14 Posted : 28 January 2019 03:56:19

Graeme. Great tip and cost savings from buying applicators. I will making several sizes and so happy my fingers will be cleaner
Oledad